Housley Should Have Until End of December

CallawaySabres

1 hour ago, Jsixspd said:

But the other issue with mid-season replacement - no sense in canning him if we don't have a better option.  Do we need another Ron Rolston?  

If we are at or near the bottom why does this even matter? This is always the worst argument when a coach is being questioned. "Well who else we gonna get!?!?" Literally anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If we are at or near the bottom why does this even matter? This is always the worst argument when a coach is being questioned. "Well who else we gonna get!?!?" Literally anyone. 

No so sure about that. If you hire literally anybody, then they could be awful, especially if your options for a better coach than your current one are very slim or absent entirely. And then you're just going to repeat the same process again with this new coach; constant turnover is terrible for a team

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well,  in general, I only like the idea of change if it helps resolve a problem or accomplishes something.    

Another issue - I think it could make an organization appear more inept and clueless to release a coach with no real better option waiting to fill the vacancy - which can make it harder to attract talent in the future.  And Buffalo sports definitely have an image problem nationally.      

Edited by Jsixspd

10 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I honestly believed that the Sabres AND the Bills finally acquired competent GMs and coaches.  With the products I'm seeing both teams should have Benny Hill music playing in the background during their games.  

Still have hope for JBot losing it for Phil. Lost it for Bills totally.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I always wonder how many coaches a GM gets to hire. If Phil was a swing and a miss, and wasn't Terry's hire, then where does that leave Botterill? I think it leaves him in the GM seat to try again, because this situation is different than last time. If we're to believe Terry, he wasn't overly involved in hiring Murray. But he sure as hell told us he was going to be all-in on hiring his replacement. Terry has a lot invested in Botterill. I don't think he can fire ANOTHER GM so soon. That said, if he did, and if he finally hired a strong hockey president and went back to drilling wells full-time, it would be the best thing that could happen to Sabres hockey since Slinky was in goal. Again, not gonna happen. Terry will double down on Botterill and maybe on his involvement. #fourminutesclosertolunchtime

Per this AP Article, Kim Pegula did have a say in Housley’s Hiring. 

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/wickenheiser-pegula-reflect-nhl-s-trend-toward-diversity-101718

“Pegula won’t, as she put it, tell coach Phil Housley how to run his power play, but she did have a say in hiring him, and takes a personal approach in getting to know each player.”

14 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/wickenheiser-pegula-reflect-nhl-s-trend-toward-diversity-101718

“Pegula won’t, as she put it, tell coach Phil Housley how to run his power play, but she did have a say in hiring him, and takes a personal approach in getting to know each player.”

We are officially running a sing along organization. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Good find. I'm not sure what that means exactly. But it was Terry, Kim, Russ and some folks at the NHL. What's the worst thing that can happen?

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I wanted Gallant last time around when he became available.  He did wonders in Florida and look what he did with Vegas.  We didn’t even consider him if I remember right.  

IIRC Gallant became available in November of 2016,  Bylsma's 2nd (and final) season.     Eichel was crippled at the time and missed half the season, yet Bylsma squeezed 78 points out those clowns...  he was rewarded with a pink slip... and here we are heading into Nov of Housley's second season.    History has a way of repeating itself, wonder who becomes available in a few weeks?

Taking a step back, Vegas and SJS should beat Buffalo, especially on home ice.      BUF should be competitive against LA.   ANA should throttle them, they're playing fantastic and Gibson is the hottest goalie in the league.      Going 2-3 on that road trip, playing 3 of the top teams in the entire league, is not terrible.         

That said, if they continue to get outplayed by less talented teams, then yeah, that's a problem.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Taking a step back, Vegas and SJS should beat Buffalo, especially on home ice.      BUF should be competitive against LA.   ANA should throttle them, they're playing fantastic and Gibson is the hottest goalie in the league.      Going 2-3 on that road trip, playing 3 of the top teams in the entire league, is not terrible.         

That said, if they continue to get outplayed by less talented teams, then yeah, that's a problem.

It's one thing to be beaten by better teams. It's another entirely to get obliterated in shots every single game, and not even remotely competitive against clearly better teams. We look like an AHL team against playoff contenders

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Pegula won’t, as she put it, tell coach Phil Housley how to run his power play, but she did have a say in hiring him, and takes a personal approach in getting to know each player.”

Maybe she SHOULD tell Philly  'how to run his power play', since the Sabres are 0-20 at it in their most recent 3 games?  LOLOLOL!!!!!

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I'll preface this by saying I think its still too soon to fire Housley.      

IMO Dave Tippett would do wonders for this group.    He's stern, demanding and won't flinch at benching guys.   His teams have always played hard for him and he has over 1000 games under his belt as head coach, winning the Jack Adams award in 2010.    The clock may be ticking tho as he's been hired as an advisor for the Seattle group.  

Boom. Totally agree. He'd be my pick also. Whatever happened to Paul MacLean? who coached the Ottawa Senators to some success with "The Hamburgler" in goal? I believe he would be a decent choice also.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:59 PM, WildCard said:

No so sure about that. If you hire literally anybody, then they could be awful, especially if your options for a better coach than your current one are very slim or absent entirely. And then you're just going to repeat the same process again with this new coach; constant turnover is terrible for a team

If you are at the bottom because of your current coach, why does it matter? 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If you are at the bottom because of your current coach, why does it matter? 

Because of what I said in the latter half of that post. You're just going to repeat the same process again with a new coach; constant turnover is terrible for a team

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Because of what I said in the latter half of that post. You're just going to repeat the same process again with a new coach; constant turnover is terrible for a team

Constantly being terrible is terrible for a team too. If your coach sucks fire him. There is always someone to take his place and if they are that bad and you are a halfway decent GM you can find someone better. 

Phil imo is still learning on the job about how to mix and match and send messages, get guys going letting guys sit and learn, giving guys a break etc.  He finally has some talent, his latest moves worked... Lets see how it works.  Steve Smith’s coaching on D and Bogo back has been a big plus imo.  Glad they are sheltering Dhalin.  He needs to put on some weight to handle hard charging forechecks.

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Constantly being terrible is terrible for a team too. If your coach sucks fire him. There is always someone to take his place and if they are that bad and you are a halfway decent GM you can find someone better. 

I would rather have Housley until a Quennenville comes along than hiring a series of Byslma and Nolans

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/19/2018 at 11:45 AM, pi2000 said:

IMO Dave Tippett would do wonders for this group. 

If you're gonna do that, just bring back Lindy.

I think as long as the Sabres are hanging around a wildcard spot, Housley stays.  Basically, I think he's one extended losing streak away from being fired.  But I also get the feeling that this team won't slip into such a streak this year.  I think the pattern that's been established will continue- lose a few, win a few, hang around .500 or hopefully a bit above.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

I would rather have Housley until a Quennenville comes along than hiring a series of Byslma and Nolans

I don't want Quenneville. In fact, I think he'd fit in the "Bylsma" category. Somebody with success (sure, a lot more success) in the past that isn't with the game anymore. 

With a team full of youngsters and his track record of hating to play youngsters, and the words coming out of Chicago fans about his role in their current defensive system etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.