Holy Mackerel! Sabres Win Dahlin Lottery!

Randall Flagg

Couple of concerns...

1 - Who will mentor the young Swede? Housley? IMO you need a veteran on-ice presence to guide him through the rigors of his first season in the NHL. That guy currently isn't on the roster.

2 - He was a healthy scratch in Pyeongchang. Why?

3 - Friction between him and Eichel. Hear me out.... Both guys like the puck on their stick. They both like to rush it up ice and hold on to it. Will there be enough rubber to keep both satisfied?

4 - Defense. Can he play defense or is he simply an offensive threat? Karlsson, IMO, is terrible defensively. Doughty is a stud. Will he be more like his fellow countryman? Hmmm.

5 - I'd like to sit down and talk to him for about 3hrs... then talk to his former teammates and coaches, meet his family and friends. Find our what makes him tick, how much does he simply love the game, what is his ultimate goal in life? Does he value money as much as Austin Matthews? Is he smart? Until I get those answers, I'll have some reservations. It takes a special type of individual to reach the pinnacle of their sport.

1. Housley and Scandella

2. Not sure. I'm not concerned either way though.

3. I don't see this as an issue. Both guys are good at passing and when they are on the ice at the same time I imagine they'll have no problem passing it to each other.

4. He's been regarded as very defensively responsible. He's probably already on Karlsson's level with respect to defensive abilities. I'm sure him having a bigger frame helps in that regard.

5. What happens when Auston Matthews takes a smaller contract than Eichel (despite superior production) in order to put his team in a better cap situation? Is your anti-Matthews crusade going to become an anti-Eichel one or will you just curl up into a ball and cry while surrounding yourself with your guns, guitars, and banana hammock?

Edited by Alkoholist

Couple of concerns...

1 - Who will mentor the young Swede? Housley? IMO you need a veteran on-ice presence to guide him through the rigors of his first season in the NHL. That guy currently isn't on the roster.

2 - He was a healthy scratch in Pyeongchang. Why?

3 - Friction between him and Eichel. Hear me out.... Both guys like the puck on their stick. They both like to rush it up ice and hold on to it. Will there be enough rubber to keep both satisfied?

4 - Defense. Can he play defense or is he simply an offensive threat? Karlsson, IMO, is terrible defensively. Doughty is a stud. Will he be more like his fellow countryman? Hmmm.

5 - I'd like to sit down and talk to him for about 3hrs... then talk to his former teammates and coaches, meet his family and friends. Find our what makes him tick, how much does he simply love the game, what is his ultimate goal in life? Does he value money as much as Austin Matthews? Is he smart? Until I get those answers, I'll have some reservations. It takes a special type of individual to reach the pinnacle of their sport.

genuinley curious about the bolded.  what does that mean?

Yes, I quite expect him to be like Nick Lidstrom.

1) Scandella and Bogosian are the two eldest vets on the roster. I would also expect Housley to treat Dahlin like Eichel, working with him and helping him the best he can. The kid is a self starter and seems to learn by reflection and practice. 

2) You are questioning why a 17yr defender was not played more at the Olympics? Just like team USA, team Sweden leaned on older more experienced players in such a short tournement. Considering he was the youngest defender on that roster by 9 full years, kinda makes sense that they wouldn't play him a ton. This was his first experience with a national team that he will probably captain some day. 

3) This assumes that Dahlin and Eichel are both puck hogs with lower hockey IQ. They aren't. Dahlin has never played with someone who can do what Eichel does and Eichel has never played with someone who can do what Dahlin does. They will compliment eachother. Dahlin has one of the most accurate breakout passes I have seen. Eichel will be getting fed plenty still. If it is a problem on the PP, just split them up. Teams will have fits trying to deal with Eichel on 1 pp unit and Dahlin on the other. 

4) Yes he can play defense. He is well noted for how good his defensive zone coverage is and how physical he plays in and around his net. Rarely if ever out of position. His defensive play was good enough to get him on the top defensive pair for Frolunda. Even with his offensive gifts, they wouldn't have done that if he was unable to cover defensively.  I think you underestimate not only how much work he willing to do on and off the ice but also how much intelligence he brings. 

5) What makes him tick? Hockey. His ultimate goal? The Stanley Cup. 

1) Scandella and Bogosian?  Oh boy.   I like Scandella, but he hasn't exactly been around the block a few times.   Bogo?  I'm talking about "on-ice" direction, not in the trainers room.  

2) If he's truly generational.....

3-5) Good points.

5. What happens when Auston Matthews takes a smaller contract than Eichel (despite superior production) in order to put his team in a better cap situation? Is your anti-Matthews crusade going to become an anti-Eichel one or will you just curl up into a ball and cry while surrounding yourself with your guns, guitars, and banana hammock?

If that happens I'll burn my avatar. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.