Sabres Officially Clinch Last Place

WildCard

We'll see.  Could this finally be the draft that we reverse the curse.  As in, be screwed out of the top spot ;)  Honestly, as long as it's defense, I'm good.  I like Zadina and Svechnikov.  But, for the love of christ we need to start drafting and developing serious top end talent on the back end.  Please stop shooting this teams future / near present in the foot.  

We'll see.  Could this finally be the draft that we reverse the curse.  As in, be screwed out of the top spot ;)  Honestly, as long as it's defense, I'm good.  I like Zadina and Svechnikov.  But, for the love of christ we need to start drafting and developing serious top end talent on the back end.  Please stop shooting this teams future / near present in the foot.  

We need help everywhere: forwards, defense, goaltending. BPA is the way to go with the 4th pick. This franchise can't afford another Nylander bust.

Pretty sure the Sabres lost the most 1 goal games this season.

If not #1, they are definitely in the top 3, and THAT is a small source for optimism next season. Scandella should be better next year & they should have some sort of plan for the D that doesn't include Bogosian in the top 4. Getting Guhle & Nelson in 5-8 roles should also be doable. Add solid goaltending & even w/ minimal forward upgrades the team should be markedly better - if the coach can get consistent solid effort from them. The effort improvement is especially necessary the 1st 5 minutes of the game & the entire 2nd period.

They didn't panic and tear down the team after 2010-2011 though.  They kept trying to add pieces to a flawed core and things just got worse. 

The 2009-2010 team was the magical Myers year I brought up, where the Sabres suddenly were winners again and we thought we'd stumbled onto a franchise player.  They regressed the next season and by the 2012 draft we were so desperate for a change in trajectory that this board celebrated Grigorenko as our savior.  Like, we were literally over the moon that he fell to us at #12.  A lot of us were on the board then talking about how amazing it was that we'd gotten Grigorenko and Girgensons at 12 and 14 since we'd finally have #1 and #2 centers.  (Note: everyone keep this in mind the next time you get into a heated argument on this board.  *That* is how wrong we can be about hockey here...)

We had one magical season, and then a playoff appearance, and then we were back to being a lifeless franchise in the post-Black Sunday haze. This board celebrated them tearing down the franchise in 2013 for a reason.

I like our young players and I'm optimistic about Botterill.  We just had the worst season in Sabres history but I still chalk that up to Murray's disastrous tenure.  I have hope for the future and I don't miss anything we had pre-Tank at all.

To the bolded, people celebrated a replacement of the core that started w/ Roy going out the door for Ott (friggin' Hodgson injuries :censored:) prior to the teardown of '13. But there was HUGE debate as to whether or not the selloff that started w/ Pominville getting shipped was the right plan or not.

True enough (and I am sort of expecting this to happen) Everyone here is basing the upside to the fact we actually get Dahlin. What if we don't? Who do we take then and how much more does this set back another rebuild?

3 of the 6 'NBC 6' (Chicago, Rangers, Canadians and Red Wings) and with that 4 Original 6 teams in the Lottery: That 18.5% chance is a facade.  Gary is salivating at the possibilities.

This franchise deserves to be the first NHL team to ever finish 31st in the standings

The also deserve to miss out on winning the lottery for intentionally tanking and putting themselves into this mess

They deserve the Boos and the quiet emptying arena

Terry was right when he said if he needed money he would just drill another well, except he forgot to mention that the well was sabres fans who were willing to spend money on tickets and merchandise over the years.

Atleast they aren't finishing in 8th and losing in the first round or just barely missing the playoffs anymore like everyone hated so much

Its much nicer knowing the season is over by Thanksgiving now so better uses can be found for your time instead of watching games that might mean something into the new year...

I agree, im thankful for that as well. Did that for the most part of 40 years as a Sabres fan. Rather experience real pain for 5 / 6 years but then get to watch the young kids potentially take the team to heights we haven't seen before.

Since we are getting the 4th pick, is there any way that player will be on the team next year?

That seems to be the area where it's hit or miss. I'm not sure of the stats, but I bet it's less than 50% of players picked there play a large portion of the next season.

I agree, im thankful for that as well. Did that for the most part of 40 years as a Sabres fan. Rather experience real pain for 5 / 6 years but then get to watch the young kids potentially take the team to heights we haven't seen before.

But we already got the franchise player you wanted, so if we had lost in the first round with that piece getting valuable experience and you were still wishing we were in last place I'd ask them to ban you

I think you are overstating matters here.

The 2010 and 2011 teams were flawed and lacked heart in the top 6, but they were solid, playoff-caliber teams (and a division winner in 2010) with excellent goaltending and coaching, and pretty good scoring (9th in goals in 2009-10).  Those teams were a couple of pieces away. 

They did not need a panic teardown, which is what they embarked on after missing the playoffs in 2012 and starting poorly in 2013 -- and here we are, DFL again.

a couple of pieces? Like Crosby and Malkin?

True enough (and I am sort of expecting this to happen) Everyone here is basing the upside to the fact we actually get Dahlin. What if we don't? Who do we take then and how much more does this set back another rebuild?

Im basing the upside that they will get a top 4 pick, most likely the 4th pick (over 50%). That player will be a huge improvement over the guy he replaces on this roster.

Hmmm, Half empty or half Full ?

OK, well once your at the very bottom the only way to go is up right ? Dare I say unless you repeat.

I choose to not fathom a repeat so i'm going half full and will say I expect a large turnover of the current team. Given this years result I really like the idea of going the Av's route and bringing in as many talented kids as you can get and then lets coach them up to play the fast paced game.

I also agree with whomever suggested some coaching changes, First a special teams coach or a different one(if we had one). Also with how bad the defense played that I saw game in and game out I'm not letting Chris Hajt the defense coach off the hook. I liked his dad Bill (rubber stick Hajt we used to call him) but at least he was solid defensively. I know we had a collection of poor mans skilled defense men but the defense and forwards were rarely in sync. He has limited experience as a coach, 3 years with Kings AHL affiliate and when you have young team and a first time Head coach I think we need an experienced assistant coaches to make up for the overall deficit of experience behind the bench.        

a couple of pieces? Like Crosby and Malkin?

No.  Like Nick Foligno or Milan Lucic or Brad Marchand, all of whom were drafted in 2006 after Darcy picked Dennis Persson, or Martin Hanzal or TJ Oshie or James Neal or Marc-Eduard Vlasic or Paul Stastny or Adam McQuaid or Kris Letang, all of whom were drafted in 2005 after Darcy picked Marek Zagrapan.

But we already got the franchise player you wanted, so if we had lost in the first round with that piece getting valuable experience and you were still wishing we were in last place I'd ask them to ban you

you are good at going back through old posts, can you show me where I wanted this team to finish last before the season even started? 

No.  Like Nick Foligno or Milan Lucic or Brad Marchand, all of whom were drafted in 2006 after Darcy picked Dennis Persson, or Martin Hanzal or TJ Oshie or James Neal or Marc-Eduard Vlasic or Paul Stastny or Adam McQuaid or Kris Letang, all of whom were drafted in 2005 after Darcy picked Marek Zagrapan.

so, your plan was for them in 2012 is to go back in time and re-do the draft?  

Edited by Crusader1969

so, your plan was for them in 2012 is to go back in time and re-do the draft?  

No.  The plan should have been to bring in a better GM with a better eye for talent -- someone who would've drafted better and brought in better players than Hodgson, Leino, Bernier, Torres, etc.

My original point, of course, was that that team didn't need Crosby and Malkin.  Obviously 2 HOFers would've been great, but not essential.  The team just needed 2 good players with skill and heart, at least one of which was a forward -- and they would've already been on the roster if Darcy had been better at drafting.

With the first pick in the 2018 NHL draft the Edmonton Oilers select ....

Last place and you only get an 18.5% chance of getting the top pick? This is not right.

Does the NHL want the worst teams to improve? Apparently not. 

The NFL system is still the best in many areas including the draft order.

The whole point of the draft lottery is to discourage a team that is bad, but not necessarily the worst, from tanking to get a Number One pick.  The Sabres still tanked; they didn't like that.  So now several teams can move up, further diluting the incentive for tanking.  This is not right because your team is not being rewarded for purposely being .

With the first pick in the 2018 NHL draft the Edmonton Oilers select ....

Last place and you only get an 18.5% chance of getting the top pick? This is not right.

Does the NHL want the worst teams to improve? Apparently not. 

The NFL system is still the best in many areas including the draft order.

I think I might quit hockey if the Oilers won it again

LeBrun was on WGR yesterday and was quite effusive in his praise for Botterill.

He mentioned he feels his hiring was a coup for the Sabres.

From the WGR Twitter Account

LeBrun- I was wondering which team around the NHL was going to pick Jason Botterill out of Pittsburgh because he was a big part of that team winning 3 Stanley Cups. Really bright guy who isn't cut from the cloth of well I'm a former player so it's just the eye test...

He does the eye test. He believes in analytics, he believes in scouting, he believes in all the different aspects that make a team successful. It's just that he's got a lot on his plate.

He is going to need time to get the franchise on the right track.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.