Sabres Officially Clinch Last Place

WildCard

I still have no issues with the tank, I have issues that we had a GM that made wrong choices after it.

And I'm glad we have the best shot at dhalin to.

even he got taken the sabres are a mess. The fans won’t be back you think

Will they raise a banner next year as the first team to ever finish 31st?

they should and Brandon stand there under it at center ice

He was that good, but I doubt it. We would lose many a game 1-0 or 2-1. Better in shootouts though, if we managed to get to them.

Dahlin changes everything, but it is still a lottery.

Pretty sure the Sabres lost the most 1 goal games this season.

Because we loved the teams before that.  :doh:

So you don't remember those years then? Because they were usually out by Thanksgiving/Christmas and then the second half of the season was all about a desperate push for 8th place. And end of season momentum that never carried over to next season. We hated those teams for a reason.

The years between Black Sunday and the Tank were all trash except for Myers' rookie season. We didn't lose anything when we blew that team up.

I think you are overstating matters here.

The 2010 and 2011 teams were flawed and lacked heart in the top 6, but they were solid, playoff-caliber teams (and a division winner in 2010) with excellent goaltending and coaching, and pretty good scoring (9th in goals in 2009-10).  Those teams were a couple of pieces away. 

They did not need a panic teardown, which is what they embarked on after missing the playoffs in 2012 and starting poorly in 2013 -- and here we are, DFL again.

The 2010 and 2011 teams were flawed and lacked heart in the top 6, but they were solid, playoff-caliber teams (and a division winner in 2010) with excellent goaltending and coaching, and pretty good scoring (9th in goals in 2009-10). Those teams were a couple of pieces away.

They did not need a panic teardown, which is what they embarked on after missing the playoffs in 2012 and starting poorly in 2013 -- and here we are, DFL again.

The 2010 team wasn't the same as the 2013 team by a long shot.

So, who are the Sabres taking 4th in the 2018 NHL Draft?

True enough (and I am sort of expecting this to happen) Everyone here is basing the upside to the fact we actually get Dahlin. What if we don't? Who do we take then and how much more does this set back another rebuild?

True enough (and I am sort of expecting this to happen) Everyone here is basing the upside to the fact we actually get Dahlin. What if we don't? Who do we take then and how much more does this set back another rebuild?

Its all part of the same rebuild. We're still crawling from the wreckage of the first rebuild.

Its all part of the same rebuild. We're still crawling from the wreckage of the first rebuild.

True enough. It's like the rebuild that just won't stop! I really do hope the Hockey Gods finally grant us Dahlin so we can really move forward. It's exhausting being a Sabres fan right now.

The 2010 and 2011 teams were flawed and lacked heart in the top 6, but they were solid, playoff-caliber teams (and a division winner in 2010) with excellent goaltending and coaching, and pretty good scoring (9th in goals in 2009-10).  Those teams were a couple of pieces away. 

They didn't panic and tear down the team after 2010-2011 though.  They kept trying to add pieces to a flawed core and things just got worse. 

The 2009-2010 team was the magical Myers year I brought up, where the Sabres suddenly were winners again and we thought we'd stumbled onto a franchise player.  They regressed the next season and by the 2012 draft we were so desperate for a change in trajectory that this board celebrated Grigorenko as our savior.  Like, we were literally over the moon that he fell to us at #12.  A lot of us were on the board then talking about how amazing it was that we'd gotten Grigorenko and Girgensons at 12 and 14 since we'd finally have #1 and #2 centers.  (Note: everyone keep this in mind the next time you get into a heated argument on this board.  *That* is how wrong we can be about hockey here...)

We had one magical season, and then a playoff appearance, and then we were back to being a lifeless franchise in the post-Black Sunday haze. This board celebrated them tearing down the franchise in 2013 for a reason.

I like our young players and I'm optimistic about Botterill.  We just had the worst season in Sabres history but I still chalk that up to Murray's disastrous tenure.  I have hope for the future and I don't miss anything we had pre-Tank at all.

I can't remember a time in my years of fandom where the pressure has been higher on both GMs in Buffalo sports.

Agreed. and this upcoming season will test how good they are or aren't. Both clubs need to show improvement or I fear they may be the wrong choices again. I'm not expecting championships right away or even a playoff spot  (for the Sabres) but there had better be a remarkable turnaround in effort on most nights for the Sabres and a definite improvement in overall points) The Bills need to make the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may after that.

I can't remember a time in my years of fandom where the pressure has been higher on both GMs in Buffalo sports.

I don't think there is any undo pressure on either. Beane just "got them to the playoffs" so he'll have 3 years to get our QB up to speed and build around him.

Botterill has the benefit of finishing last. Literally anything will be an improvement. With pieces like this year's number one and apparently O'Reilly on the block, a 20 point jump in the standings wouldn't be unrealistic.

I don't think there is any undo pressure on either. Beane just "got them to the playoffs" so he'll have 3 years to get our QB up to speed and build around him.

Botterill has the benefit of finishing last. Literally anything will be an improvement. With pieces like this year's number one and apparently O'Reilly on the block, a 20 point jump in the standings wouldn't be unrealistic.

I hope you're right because that's the standard I am holding JBot to. I want to see at least a 20 point improvement at the very least (unless they go through a rash of injuries that decimates the club) Anything less and I don't think he's the guy either. 

Disagree ... Beane has to draft the "right" QB and that in and of itself is pressure to me. He also has to fill all of the other holes we have. I can't think of a more pressure packed decision than "Do we move up or not ?"

I hope you're right about Botterill, but he's under pressure to fix the 'D' and the goaltending. Another finish near last place and he'll be gone. It may have to be done via trade for a goalie as the UFA class doesn't impress with the exception of maybe Raanta.

Glad you're optimistic about #1 ... don't run the simulator lol.

The number 0.18 does not take any of that into account.

Who put the number 0.18 in charge?

Glad you're optimistic about #1 ... don't run the simulator lol.

Just for self-punishment, I ran tankathon 10 times. Eight 4ths, a 1st, and a 3rd. Edmonton got 1st four times.

Will they raise a banner next year as the first team to ever finish 31st?

Or banners for every second-place finish in the draft lottery?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.