Sabres Officially Clinch Last Place

WildCard

This may be from battered Bills syndrome but all I really want next year is to attend the games in March within 4 points of 8th. Just make the freaking games meaningful again and MAYBE the atmosphere in that stink-joint will improve. The loudest I heard the building ALL year was after the first goal last night (very strange)....and then, dead.....freaking...silence the rest of the way. But for that one moment, I realized how much I miss good hockey in that building.

This may be from battered Bills syndrome but all I really want next year is to attend the games in March within 4 points of 8th. Just make the freaking games meaningful again and MAYBE the atmosphere in that stink-joint will improve. The loudest I heard the building ALL year was after the first goal last night (very strange)....and then, dead.....freaking...silence the rest of the way. But for that one moment, I realized how much I miss good hockey in that building.

Was it wrong of me to tear up during the video montage at Pommers OT Goal in Ottawa last night?

It's a big offseason for Botts but I'm giving him two more years at bare minimum.

Had a number of my Brothers over to help me paint our front deck posts and rails.  It is a big deck.

They are great guys, but after a two days of heavy duty work they started to cut some corners.  We all laughed about it and I made a wise crack about them doing the 'bare minimum'.  So, they said that they were going to start a company to do odd jobs and they plan to call it ... you ready for it ... 'Bare Minimum'. 

It's a big offseason for Botts but I'm giving him two more years at bare minimum.

Our expectations need to be higher.  If I am Daddy Warbucks he's got this offseason to turn the ship around.  I'm not talking 82 points and gee.. they look good alot of nights.  I'm talking last week of the season better have playoff implications.

Our expectations need to be higher. If I am Daddy Warbucks he's got this offseason to turn the ship around. I'm not talking 82 points and gee.. they look good alot of nights. I'm talking last week of the season better have playoff implications.

I think Murray set this team back a couple years. How many legit top 4 d or top 6 forwards did botts inherit? At most 3 forwards and one d? He did a nice job picking up scandella. He also swung and missed on a couple of more. I need some nice additions and improvement but this team is a ways off talent wise to expect to fix it all in one off season.

Had a number of my Brothers over to help me paint our front deck posts and rails. It is a big deck.

They are great guys, but after a two days of heavy duty work they started to cut some corners. We all laughed about it and I made a wise crack about them doing the 'bare minimum'. So, they said that they were going to start a company to do odd jobs and they plan to call it ... you ready for it ... 'Bare Minimum'.

Now that's funny. Hard to complain about free help ;)

I think Murray set this team back a couple years. How many legit top 4 d or top 6 forwards did botts inherit? At most 3 forwards and one d? He did a nice job picking up scandella. He also swung and missed on a couple of more. I need some nice additions and improvement but this team is a ways off talent wise to expect to fix it all in one off season.

Being in the picture at game 78 isn't "all fixed".  It is the next expected goal.  Considering our play against top team teams the 2nd half of the season, 80 points is too easy a goal.  They have it in them if they show up gametime.  This is about the room as much as it is about talent level.  If the room is fixed next season we should be hunting.  If it's not fixed, I don't think Jason and Phil are the right ones to fix it.

The problem with getting excited about last re: the draft is that all year we heard about how it was a big 4, and at least getting last guaranteed one. But now, it’s really a consensus top 3, and 4 is a crapshoot. Good players available, but it’s anyone’s guess. Coulda had that at 5, 6, 7, 14, whatever.

Certainly not anwyhwere close to worth this season we had. I like the sounds of Botterill so far, but I’m on the same page as We’ve in terms of there needing to be higher goals next season.

The Sabres hold a share of the record for most last place finishes in the last 25 years. All 3 were in a 5 year span.

Edited by Thorny

The problem with getting excited about last re: the draft is that all year we heard about how it was a big 4, and at least getting last guaranteed one. But now, it’s really a consensus top 3, and 4 is a crapshoot. Good players available, but it’s anyone’s guess. Coulda had that at 5, 6, 7, 14, whatever.

Certainly not anwyhwere close to worth this season we had. I like the sounds of Botterill so far, but I’m on the same page as We’ve in terms of there needing to be higher goals next season.

The Sabres hold a share of the record for most last place finishes in the last 25 years. All 3 were in a 5 year span.

3 in a 5 year span ? That there is Dynasty material.

a couple of pieces? Like Crosby and Malkin?

Im basing the upside that they will get a top 4 pick, most likely the 4th pick (over 50%). That player will be a huge improvement over the guy he replaces on this roster.

remains to be seen. What pick was Alex Nylander? I'm not impressed with him at all. We got the wrong Nylander also.

He went 8. Sergachev went 9.

! We missed out on Sergachev. I do hope Botterill is much much better at drafting. It will take at least a couple seasons but the on ice effort has got to be much better than this season. This team took way too many nights off for whatever reason.

Being in the picture at game 78 isn't "all fixed". It is the next expected goal. Considering our play against top team teams the 2nd half of the season, 80 points is too easy a goal. They have it in them if they show up gametime. This is about the room as much as it is about talent level. If the room is fixed next season we should be hunting. If it's not fixed, I don't think Jason and Phil are the right ones to fix it.

You do make some good points here. Frustrating we can beat Tampa, Toronto, Boston and Nashville down the stretch and lose to the Montreal, Ottawa and Detroit’s of the world.

Edited by Didriko

Our expectations need to be higher.  If I am Daddy Warbucks he's got this offseason to turn the ship around.  I'm not talking 82 points and gee.. they look good alot of nights.  I'm talking last week of the season better have playoff implications.

You expect the team to improve by more than 30 points in a GMs second season or you’ll fire him?

No.  The plan should have been to bring in a better GM with a better eye for talent -- someone who would've drafted better and brought in better players than Hodgson, Leino, Bernier, Torres, etc.

My original point, of course, was that that team didn't need Crosby and Malkin.  Obviously 2 HOFers would've been great, but not essential.  The team just needed 2 good players with skill and heart, at least one of which was a forward -- and they would've already been on the roster if Darcy had been better at drafting.

I think that was a solid trade, no one could have predicted what would have happened to him.

If he didn't get so sick, he probably would be a solid top 6 center in this league.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.