Whose idea was the tank and whose decision was it?

PASabreFan

Tkachuck won't be ready next year, and by the looks of it, neither will Mittelstadt. Okposo neads to figure out if wants to keep playing hockey for a career. O'Reilly is likely traded, you can tell by his interviews that he's miserable here and doesn't see eye to eye with Housley.

I'm afraid there is no immediate top 6 help on the horizon... maybe the bottom 6 improves.. and that's what I think will make the biggest difference moving forward. & Maybe guys like CJ Smith, Baptiste, Bailey, etc... can take that next step and have an impact offensively.

I'll ignore your outright blasphemy regarding our lord and savior Casey Mittelstadt (pbuh) for the moment. I also think Tkachuk will be ready to go next season as well, but no one really knows for sure so I'll move on.

You may be right. If GMJB really wants to do a total shake up of the roster he should have no trouble selling off O'Reilly for a solid return. For all the griping about his emo mentality he's incredibly consistent, both in his time with the Sabres and previously with Colorado. I personally wouldn't want to trade him without getting a younger center back in return. He's our best defensive forward by a country mile and I'd worry about how badly our team defense would regress even further without having him to rely on.

I hope he does allow the young guys from Rochester to start replacing our current bottom 6 forwards though. Our current bottom 6 is nothing to write home about so even if the new guys don't provide much of an upgrade they should at least be younger, cheaper, and faster. I'd rather watch CJ Smith make an occasional boneheaded decision for the first or second time than watch Nolan or Josefson make the same mistake for the 40th time.

Tkachuck won't be ready next year, and by the looks of it, neither will MIttelstadt.    Okposo neads to figure out if wants to keep playing hockey for a career.   O'Reilly is likely traded, you can tell by his interviews that he's miserable here and doesn't see eye to eye with Housley.   

I'm afraid there is no immediate top 6 help on the horizon... maybe the bottom 6 improves.. and that's what I think will make the biggest difference moving forward.   Maybe guys like CJ Smith, Baptiste, Bailey, etc... can take that next step and have an impact offensively. 

I kinda think Casey will be ready next year, but you could certainly be right about him.

There is zero possibility of KO walking away from the $30MM the Sabres owe him.

Based on JBott's comments, the likelihood that ROR is traded is also very low.

I'm not expecting it, but I would not be surprised if they move on from Reino.  He's reverted to his terrible first-half form.  If he finishes up the year in this manner, it will be 5/8 of the season in which he's looked like JAG. 

I agree that we can expect major turnover in the bottom 6.

I kinda think Casey will be ready next year, but you could certainly be right about him.

I'm not expecting it, but I would not be surprised if they move on from Reino. He's reverted to his terrible first-half form. If he finishes up the year in this manner, it will be 5/8 of the season in which he's looked like JAG.

Reinhart's season has seen plenty of ups and downs but in looking at the entirety of his ELC, he's managed to stay consistently healthy and produce seasons of 42, 47, and 44 points (plus whatever he produces in the last 5 games). There are a dozen bigger problems on the roster to deal with. Unless someone wants to severely overpay us for a 40 point winger, I don't think he'll be moved.

Reinhart's season has seen plenty of ups and downs but in looking at the entirety of his ELC, he's managed to stay consistently healthy and produce seasons of 42, 47, and 44 points (plus whatever he produces in the last 5 games). There are a dozen bigger problems on the roster to deal with. Unless someone wants to severely overpay us for a 40 point winger, I don't think he'll be moved.

This is reasonable and you are probably right.  However, I keep coming back to JBott's frequent statements that "what we have isn't working" and similar expressions.  It just sounds like he thinks something major is needed -- and I think the only 2 realistic candidates to be moved are Reino and Risto (JBott has said a number of times that he values ROR, no one is going to take KO, JBott isn't going to trade Eichel or Scandella) -- and Risto seems less likely than Reino.

This is reasonable and you are probably right. However, I keep coming back to JBott's frequent statements that "what we have isn't working" and similar expressions. It just sounds like he thinks something major is needed -- and I think the only 2 realistic candidates to be moved are Reino and Risto (JBott has said a number of times that he values ROR, no one is going to take KO, JBott isn't going to trade Eichel or Scandella) -- and Risto seems less likely than Reino.

Even with Botterill's statements about ROR, I think he's a candidate to be traded and makes more sense than moving Reino. I could see Risto and ROR moved as the "impact" moves for the core, along with a bunch of role players we REALLY need to just move on from (Larson, Girgs, etc.). In net, it'll be Ullmark and some other new goalie. Add it all up and that's a lot of roster turnover and a pretty fresh start for the team.

This is reasonable and you are probably right. However, I keep coming back to JBott's frequent statements that "what we have isn't working" and similar expressions. It just sounds like he thinks something major is needed -- and I think the only 2 realistic candidates to be moved are Reino and Risto (JBott has said a number of times that he values ROR, no one is going to take KO, JBott isn't going to trade Eichel or Scandella) -- and Risto seems less likely than Reino.

He's definitely not untouchable, I just don't see anyone being interested enough to overpay. I agree about the rest of your list though.

I think most of the roster changes will come from internal moves like CJ Smith, Baptiste, Bailey, and Mittelstadt replacing the plugs like Nolan, Josefson, Pouliot, and maybe even Pominville. Hell, they might even buy out or waive Bogosian (assuming he's ever healthy enough to get put on waivers) just to send a message that serious changes are needed.

He's definitely not untouchable, I just don't see anyone being interested enough to overpay. I agree about the rest of your list though.

I think most of the roster changes will come from internal moves like CJ Smith, Baptiste, Bailey, and Mittelstadt replacing the plugs like Nolan, Josefson, Pouliot, and maybe even Pominville. Hell, they might even buy out or waive Bogosian (assuming he's ever healthy enough to get put on waivers) just to send a message that serious changes are needed.

id be happy with CJ, Bailey and baptiste replacing what we have currently in the bottom 6, would be happy with these lines:

FA-Oreilly-Reinhart

Erod-Eichel-Svechnikov(hopefully)

CJ-Mittlestadt-Okposo

Bailey-Malone/Fasching-Baptiste

Please no more Larrson/Nolan

If most of the roster changes are internal promotions, my bet is this team is a lottery team again next year.

If most of the roster changes are internal promotions, my bet is this team is a lottery team again next year.

That what the people in Colorado said last off-season. In fact, other then signing college FA Kerfoot and the trade of Duchene for Girard (and other assets) in season, basically everyone else played last season (2016-17) in Colorado. The new faces this season included backup goalie Bernier, a cheap signing in Yakupov, a waiver claim in Nameth, and a depth trade for Wilson.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I'm not expecting it, but I would not be surprised if they move on from Reino.  He's reverted to his terrible first-half form.  If he finishes up the year in this manner, it will be 5/8 of the season in which he's looked like JAG. 

I'm not saying O'Reiily will get traded, but if Botterill wanted to, of course he's going to lay on the praise and positive comments and pump up his asset to anyone who will listen.

That what the people in Colorado said last off-season. In fact, other then signing college FA Kerfoot and the trade of Duchene for Girard (and other assets) in season, basically everyone else played last season (2016-17) in Colorado. The new faces this season included backup goalie Bernier, a cheap signing in Yakupov, a waiver claim in Nameth, and a depth trade for Wilson.

But that in season trade was a big roster/culture shake up for them. We haven't had that yet.

Thorny, you don’t think dumping Kane and probably moving on from Lehner will do the same here?

Now imagine if TM doesn’t make any of the trades and we keep the entire slate of picks in 2015?

We had

2. Eichel

21. Traded to Ott in Lehner deal. Players taken White. Players available White, Boeser, Konecny

25. Traded to Wpg in Kane deal. Players taken Roslovic. Players available include D like Larsson and Carlsson

31. Traded to Col in ROR deal. Player taken J Roy. Players available Aho, Carlo,

43. Traded to LA in Fasching deal. Players taken Cernak (who’ll be in the NHL next year.) Players available Sprong, Greenway.

51. Guhle. Players available included Vince Dunn and Kylington

62. Traded to Wash in the Neuvirth for Halak deal. Players taken RW Kovacs. Player available Anthony Cirelli or Capobianco.

Without these deals the Sabres might have the following current NHL players in their system

Myers, Armia, Compher, Zadorov, McNabb, Neuvirth, plus possibly White or Boeser, or Carlsson or Larsson, Aho or Carlo, Sprong, Guhle and Capobianco.

Even with Botterill's statements about ROR, I think he's a candidate to be traded and makes more sense than moving Reino. I could see Risto and ROR moved as the "impact" moves for the core, along with a bunch of role players we REALLY need to just move on from (Larson, Girgs, etc.). In net, it'll be Ullmark and some other new goalie. Add it all up and that's a lot of roster turnover and a pretty fresh start for the team.

why would  you trade your 2nd line center unless you are convinced Casey is ready to take over that roll?

Sabres need to add talent not subtract talent IMO

gotta think JBotto is searching for the cancer in the room and may see moving ROR as maybe helping by subtraction...clearly there is something amiss in the dressing room and he has to find the problem before this team can move forward. There is doubt the NHL will knock us down as far as they can (4th) and I cannot see JBotto rushing Tkachuk so I do hope we see some Rochester guys next season instead of aging vets

gotta think JBotto is searching for the cancer in the room and may see moving ROR as maybe helping by subtraction...clearly there is something amiss in the dressing room and he has to find the problem before this team can move forward. There is doubt the NHL will knock us down as far as they can (4th) and I cannot see JBotto rushing Tkachuk so I do hope we see some Rochester guys next season instead of aging vets

I don’t think there is a cancer in the lockerroom so much as depression.

If your ROR, TM sold you (and us) on a rebuild plan and it failed spectacularly. Now you have a long term deal and a team that is in last in the NHL. I’d be depressed also. I think his comments and attitude reflect those feelings.

He isn’t getting traded. No one in the system is capable of doing what he does and Casey is at least 2 years from being ready for 2nd line center job. If the team comes out solidly out of the gate, all this negative vibe will disappear.

why would you trade your 2nd line center unless you are convinced Casey is ready to take over that roll?

Sabres need to add talent not subtract talent IMO

You don’t, unless you are of the belief it is better to trade a player a year too early then one too late. Botterill is on record saying that this team in its present form isn’t working and changes need to be made. ROR and Reinhart fit that bill as the ones with the most worth in terms of assets.

Now on the flip side Rob Ray did state on the broadcast versus Detroit that the team has become closer and is playing for each other in his opinion. Does Botterill change his opinion as well?

You don’t, unless you are of the belief it is better to trade a player a year too early then one too late. Botterill is on record saying that this team in its present form isn’t working and changes need to be made. ROR and Reinhart fit that bill as the ones with the most worth in terms of assets.

Now on the flip side Rob Ray did state on the broadcast versus Detroit that the team has become closer and is playing for each other in his opinion. Does Botterill change his opinion as well?

He's been saying this every few games every year since 2011. Anytime there's some semblance of a player sticking up for another guy, or any sort of smiling/joking, or even any player stepping up during the huddle to speak, Rob Ray will say they're coming together as a team

Not blaming Kane, but his mix of charm and approach to preparation was probably not ideal for Sam and Jack.

Many have suggested the team doesn’t like/trust Lehner.

I do agree that the room is/was more depressed than toxic.

The old vets (Gorges, Moulson, Gionta) weren’t good enough to command the respect needed to lead.

The young vets (Kane, Bogo, O’Reilly,Lehner) weren’t natural leaders.

The kids (Reinhart, Risto, Eichel) were too immature.

It’s as good a theory as any.

I don’t pretend to know the mechanics of the dressing room, but sometimes all it takes is a tweak or two and the other pieces click into place.

I don't believe that at all. I think the team is / was completely over-matched when it comes to talent from the goalie on out. 

I'm not even willing to assume Jbot drafts Tkachuk at 4. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.