Meet Danny O'Regan

WildCard

I am adopted just sent in genetic test. Adoption papers said Mom was Dutch and Dad Yugoslavian so I guess I find out in a few weeks.

PS I burn once in the summer then turn dark... again who knows till the test comes back.

You've probably got that Slavic blood like me. I do the same thing. 

My last name would indicated that I'm English, but my ancestry is mostly Polish and German, and at one point in the early 20th century my familial last name was extremely Polish. But I also suspect that my Polish heritage is more Russian than Polish, so who the hell knows. 

I'm a white guy. 

I mean, Germany is technically a younger country than the US. My "German" ancestors fought with the French in the Franco-Prussian war and had to flee when they lost (they sided with the French because they were Catholic vs. the dirty Lutheran Prussians). People move a lot. We're all from Africa.

The kid would definitely be Canadian. I think if it were me making the move I would probably have no trouble adjusting to calling myself Canadian either. Growing up here on the border already makes me feel like I can claim dual-citizenship. 

Even though I'm mostly German/English, I've always said that because I grew up in Buffalo, I'm half Polish, half Canadian.

5’ 9” Paul Byron is still scoring in the NHL 7 years after the Sabres decided he was too small to contribute.

The Sabres have always been known for their great player evaluation. Wait, maybe that’s why we are were we are?

Ya in this age of the NHL I'm not concerned with his size. More concerned he doesn't have a great top end speed.

That is a huge concern and maybe why, like Griffith, that he thrives in the AHL and disappears in the NHL. People keep mentioning his AHL ROY last year. I found the list of the AHL ROY winners on Hockeydb.com and it’s a truly mix bag. The last 10 years are Gerbe, Ennis, Adam, (3 former Sabres), Conacher, Toffoli, Curtis McKenzie, Matt Murray, Frank Vatrano (just traded at the deadline - another small forward), Rantanen and Danny Boy. Other past winners include Briere, Audette, Brett Hull, and the great Mika Noronen. So how mixed is the group? It goes from Ryan Kraft (7 NHL games) to Brett Hull, but Briere tops the list in the last 20 years.

5’ 9” Paul Byron is still scoring in the NHL 7 years after the Sabres decided he was too small to contribute.

The Sabres have always been known for their great player evaluation. Wait, maybe that’s why we are were we are?

Another name in this category:  Tim Schaller, who costs less and is having a better season than both Larsson and Zemgus.

Another name in this category:  Tim Schaller, who costs less and is having a better season than both Larsson and Zemgus.

I keep coming back to Larsson and Zemgus. They are a big part of the problem here.  Score some gd goals!  O'Regan isn't going to be less productive than they are.  Hopefully he'll be much better.

2012 draft 20/20

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NHL_Entry_Draft

Grigorenko - 12

Girgs - 14

McCabe - 44

Seth Griffith - 131

O'Regan - 138

Ullmark - 163

Zemgus is the great example of DR rushing players to the NHL before they were ready. He should have spent another year in the AHL. He also has been in this terrible situation since the beginning playing under 4 different systems, 3 GMs and being moved constantly around the lineup without a defined role. Terrible. I really like this kid and wish someone will give him a defined role and leave him there.

to be fair when we got rid of Byron among others because they were too small the NHL was totally different then. you had to be big, the bigger the better. We all were fed up with the sabres being called "smurfs" and were all looking to move out the little guys for bigger stronger players.Now the NHL is mroe aimed at speed and possession so this guy seems to fit the bill.

Edited by Sabre fan

Posted by Brawndo in the trade thread, but relevant to this discussion:

Corey Pronman Thoughts on O’Regan

Daniel O'Regan, C, Buffalo (from San Jose): The initial reaction to a 24-year-old small forward who has yet to establish himself as an NHL regular will likely be pessimism, but I still have time for O'Regan. He’s a very gifted playmaker who processes the game at a high-level and has good skill with the puck. He's an agile skater but doesn't have a great top gear, which isn't ideal at his size. He works but he'll never be confused for a grinder or a great defensive forward. It's a gamble on a player with talent who hasn't forced his way into a scoring minutes role yet but was dominant in the AHL last season as a rookie. He could easily flame out on the Sabres, but O'Regan also has the skills to be a middle-six forward if he clicks. 

Edited by Lanny

I didn't know if I should put this here or in the Kane trade thread but I thought it would be interesting to see how Griffith, Wilson, ERod, CJ Smith and Danny O'Regan compare.  All 5 guys are about the same size, same age and have very similar resumes.  Griffith is the smallest of the 5, and the only one to play in the CHL.  ERod, despite being the least effective in college or the AHL, has been the most productive in the NHL.

Giffith 25       5'9 190    

AHL 239 79 157 236 0.99  (games, goals, assists, pts & pts/g)

NHL 76 8 11 19 0.25            

Wilson 25        5'11 183    

College 109 39 56 95 0.87

AHL 90 41 36 77 0.86

NHL 153 18 24 42 0.27            

O'Regan 24       5'10 185    

College 154 66 88 154 1.00

AHL 94 30 53 83 0.88

NHL 22 1 4 5 0.23            

EROD 24      5'11 182    

College 146 42 79 121 0.83

AHL 128 23 47 70 0.55

NHL 66 10 13 23 0.35            

Smith 23     5'11 185    

College 120 56 69 125 1.04

AHL 50 14 25 39 0.78

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Zemgus is the great example of DR rushing players to the NHL before they were ready. He should have spent another year in the AHL. He also has been in this terrible situation since the beginning playing under 4 different systems, 3 GMs and being moved constantly around the lineup without a defined role. Terrible. I really like this kid and wish someone will give him a defined role and leave him there.

Yeah, I still got a soft spot for Girgs, even though he will never amount to the player I had hoped.

I actually like the role he’s been plugged in lately as depth chart swingman, adding speed and checking to any of the top three lines at even strength, and killing penalties.

But he has to score 10-15 in the spot, not 5-10, to stick there.

I didn't know if I should put this here or in the Kane trade thread but I thought it would be interesting to see how Griffith, Wilson, ERod, CJ Smith and Danny O'Regan compare. All 5 guys are about the same size, same age and have very similar resumes. Griffith is the smallest of the 5, and the only one to play in the CHL. ERod, despite being the least effective in college or the AHL, has been the most productive in the NHL.

Giffith 25 5'9 190

AHL 239 79 157 236 0.99 (games, goals, assists, pts & pts/g)

NHL 76 8 11 19 0.25

Wilson 25 5'11 183

AHL 90 41 36 77 0.86

NHL 153 18 24 42 0.27

O'Regan 24 5'10 185

AHL 94 30 53 83 0.88

NHL 22 1 4 5 0.23

EROD 24 5'11 182

AHL 128 23 47 70 0.55

NHL 66 10 13 23 0.35

Smith 23 5'11 185

AHL 50 14 25 39 0.78

Well, that's encouraging Edited by Jokertecken

I didn't know if I should put this here or in the Kane trade thread but I thought it would be interesting to see how Griffith, Wilson, ERod, CJ Smith and Danny O'Regan compare.  All 5 guys are about the same size, same age and have very similar resumes.  Griffith is the smallest of the 5, and the only one to play in the CHL.  ERod, despite being the least effective in college or the AHL, has been the most productive in the NHL.

Giffith 25       5'9 190    

AHL 239 79 157 236 0.99  (games, goals, assists, pts & pts/g)

NHL 76 8 11 19 0.25            

Wilson 25        5'11 183    

AHL 90 41 36 77 0.86

NHL 153 18 24 42 0.27            

O'Regan 24       5'10 185    

AHL 94 30 53 83 0.88

NHL 22 1 4 5 0.23            

EROD 24      5'11 182    

AHL 128 23 47 70 0.55

NHL 66 10 13 23 0.35            

Smith 23     5'11 185    

AHL 50 14 25 39 0.78

Good stuff. 

Again on Zemgus (6'1''), since he's a #1 pick (sprinkle in GM's ego) and has size, only 61 AHL games and 17 points then "come on up kid!".  

NHL ppg is .29.  I saw a bunch of his AHL games, he did stand out, but so did Flynn and my fav Corey Tropp, etc.

And there's Larsson (5'10'') 

AHL 157 45 73 118 .75

NHL ppg is .25

Again I'm optimistic this guy is exactly what JBot wants - trajectory, solid foundation, step by step = confidence and ability to repeat success vs "wow this guy is bigger faster stronger than his peers at 18 years old."

My wife is insistent on identifying herself as 100% pure Taiwanese. Sometimes I tip-toe around the fact that In her family history somewhere they came from China. She always replies that all branches she’s aware of are at least 5 generations on the island so she is in no way Chinese.

Because, you know, screw China.

My wife is insistent on identifying herself as 100% pure Taiwanese. Sometimes I tip-toe around the fact that In her family history somewhere they came from China. She always replies that all branches she’s aware of are at least 5 generations on the island so she is in no way Chinese.

Because, you know, screw China.

"The island was colonized by the Dutch in the 17th century, followed by an influx of Han Chinese including Hakka immigrants from the Fujian and Guangdong areas of China, across the Taiwan Strait. The Spanish built a settlement in the north for a brief period but were driven out by the Dutch in 1642."

Maybe she's aboriginal Taiwanese, Dutch, and Spanish? 

Does she write in Traditional Characters? Because Screw the young Chinese. :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.