GDT: Ducks at Sabres 2-6-18 7p ET

pi2000

Antipin is scratched, as is Gorges. Antipin makes sense - he has a really tough time with heavy forwards, much better suited to play against not the Ducks. And Beaulieu has been decent since coming back. Not sure Nelson should be in over Gorges though, as I would imagine he'd have similar issues and aside from Rakell/Cogliano there aren't a lot of Burners in Anaheim's forward corps that would give Josh problems - seems like the perfect game for him. 

Nelson has pleasantly surprised me overall though, he's not nearly the tire-fire he was in his stints between the first one and now. 

I want Nelson to get more seasoning; I think he might be a regular next season.  I'd like to see Antipin play too though; I really like his game and hope they keep him around.  Basically I think we're going to have a wealth of 5/6/7/8 Dmen next season (i.e., decent depth); if Guhle makes the jump into the Top 4 and we trade for a top pair guy, we're gonna be solid at D.  Can that actually be true?  It seems so unlikely.

Antipin is scratched, as is Gorges. Antipin makes sense - he has a really tough time with heavy forwards, much better suited to play against not the Ducks. And Beaulieu has been decent since coming back. Not sure Nelson should be in over Gorges though, as I would imagine he'd have similar issues and aside from Rakell/Cogliano there aren't a lot of Burners in Anaheim's forward corps that would give Josh problems - seems like the perfect game for him. 

Nelson has pleasantly surprised me overall though, he's not nearly the tire-fire he was in his stints between the first one and now.

He still finds himself covering the point while the puck is in the Sabres zone. The difference between now & prior stints up is a forward will get back & cover the opposing forward in the low stot that Nelson abandoned.

I want Nelson to get more seasoning; I think he might be a regular next season.  I'd like to see Antipin play too though; I really like his game and hope they keep him around.  Basically I think we're going to have a wealth of 5/6/7/8 Dmen next season (i.e., decent depth); if Guhle makes the jump into the Top 4 and we trade for a top pair guy, we're gonna be solid at D.  Can that actually be true?  It seems so unlikely.

You've been given a heavy dose of NS's optimism. 

Trading for a top pair guy is difficult, which of our top 3 are you willing to give up?

College basketball time. Bona, Niagara, Canisius, and UB having maybe their best combined season forever. 

UB @ CMU tonight at 7 on ESPN3. Watch that first then catch the remainder of the Sabres.

It may be a good year but the best combined year was 1970, UB went to the final 4 in Division II led by Randy Smith who also was an All American in soccer

St. Bonaventure went to the final 4 led by Bob Lanier

Niagara made it to the top 16 led by Calvin Murphy

You are thinking of Buffalo State.

You're right! 

I don't recall 1970 myself as I was born in January that year and had other things on mind I guess. :-)

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You've been given a heavy dose of NS's optimism. 

Trading for a top pair guy is difficult, which of our top 3 are you willing to give up?

Honestly?  McCabe.  I like the guy, but if we could somehow turn him into a true top pair guy I pull the trigger.  (I'm perfectly content with keeping him though.)  If Guhle can consistently show use what we've seen in brief stints, he could be a top pair or top four guy.

3-1 Ducks Tonight with Jacks guaranteeing the Ryan Miller Shutout with 28.1 Seconds left

Yep.  I'd put money on it.

#Sabres  rolling with same lines they had in practice yesterday.

Girgensons-Eichel-Reinhart

Kane-O'Reilly-Okposo

Wilson-Rodrigues-Pominville

Pouliot-Josefson-Nolan

Scandella-Ristolainen

Beaulieu-Nelson

Falk-McCabe

Lehner to start.

Put Antipin in instead of Falk and I like of like the D pairs.

Honestly?  McCabe.  I like the guy, but if we could somehow turn him into a true top pair guy I pull the trigger.  (I'm perfectly content with keeping him though.)  If Guhle can consistently show use what we've seen in brief stints, he could be a top pair or top four guy.

Yep.  I'd put money on it.

I believe the woods racer was referring to Jack, Samson or ROR when he said top 3.

Some NS optimism right there will to put money on a Ducks win ...  :cry:

Edited by Sabersfläkt i NS

I really think our lack of scoring has been the biggest problem not our defense. So any defenseman we get better contribute to offense. Maybe we were so focused on need for defensemen we are not focused enough on getting much better up front.

Nice! It will be interesting to see what changes will be made now that they've lost their safety net for putting a bad product on the ice. Now losing STHs will actually carry the risk of lost revenue. I'll go ahead and make the bold prediction that there will be no price increases next season or they'll be increased the absolute bare minimum to maintain whatever parameters exist to qualify for small market revenue sharing.

We'll get into this when the ticket price situation is revealed after the season, but too many people believe if the Sabres don't raise ticket prices, they won't get revenue sharing. The Sabres have been more than willing to allow that misconception to exist. Not hitting 75% of the league average gate does send a team down a path that could result in the loss of revenue sharing down the road.

I still like watching the games, at least before they start.

Should I seek help?

When I wake up in the morning, one of my first thoughts is always: Is there a Sabres game tonight?

..When the answer is yes, I still get up on the right side of the bed.

:)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.