GDT: Ducks at Sabres 2-6-18 7p ET

pi2000

That's problem. Nothing seems to matter to this team, this organization, or these coaches. 

I think there are players on this team who care. We've been seeing good efforts from guys like Eichel and O'Reilly and Okposo. Girgensons had a good game last night. So did Reinhart. 

It just doesn't matter much. Effort isn't enough. 

They just flat out lack the talent and/or chemistry to score. And even when they have good nights like last night (3 against Anaheim isn't too shabby) they still just lack that talent/chemistry to close things out.

How many times has Risto tipped a shot past Lehner this season? I've witnessed 2 in the last 2 weeks. That's a killer. Should he be trying to get a stick on it or letting Lehner take the shot? Who even knows. There's no cohesive style, no chemistry. None of these guys knows what the other is doing. Or what the other wants them to do. 

I think this team should be better than it is. But I'm wrong in thinking that because they're bad when it comes to the single most important thing, which is playing hockey well as a team. They sucked at it under Bylsma and they still suck at it now. 

Botterill is going to have to move more guys and hope that shuffling the deck some more gives a better result. That's all he can do. These pieces, as assembled, do not work. 

Sorry, I just feel like the line needs be drawn somewhere and I have decided for me where it is.

I'm drawing the line at the end of this season.  Nothing matters this year anyway.  I'm watching entertaining (if ultimately frustrating) hockey, which is something I couldn't say earlier in the year. 

I hate that Lehner is our starter; I just don't feel he's reliable enough, especially in the shootout.  But ultimately the thing that sunk the team this year is the drop-off of the power play.  It's looking much better lately and I think that bodes well for the future.

The next most important factor is the lack of secondary scoring.  I'm hopeful that players that make the jump next year and don't end up in the top 6 will address that.

We're not going anywhere this year, so whether we win or lose a game like last night's matters little to me.  The fact that we got a late tying goal is good; the guys are figuring out how to work together in the clutch.  Earlier this year it was more about Jack trying to save us with an individual effort; now they're passing the puck around to open up the ice.  They've had periods of sustained offensive zone possession, something we haven't seen in years.  Yes, I want a goal out of that, but possession that keeps the puck out of the opponent's hands is just as important; they can't score on us if they can't get the puck.  So I'm seeing trends that bode well for the future, and this year's wins and losses mean little to me at this point.

It gives me no pleasure to say it, but I will reiterate my earlier claim that Lehner is the worst starting goalie in Sabres history.

In addition to yet another late-game choke on the GWG, the GAs that ROR didn't score also resulted from poor goaltending (i.e. fat rebounds deposited on the doorstep).

Yes, the team has many other flaws, but a young team simply needs better goaltending than this -- among other reasons, to close out wins and build confidence.

I think it's at least 50/50 that they let him walk for nothing this summer.

On the positive side, Reino's pass to Eichel for the PPG was very sweet.

Last night I was halfway through a PA-style post, with as elegant writing as I could muster, about nfreeman's slow face-palm at the realization that yet another lunch break would have to be spent saying the same thing about Lehner that has needed to be said for the past two years, but I am not the writer PA is so I deleted it. 

I'm so happy that this post still happened organically :lol:

I think there are players on this team who care. We've been seeing good efforts from guys like Eichel and O'Reilly and Okposo. Girgensons had a good game last night. So did Reinhart. 

It just doesn't matter much. Effort isn't enough. 

They just flat out lack the talent and/or chemistry to score. And even when they have good nights like last night (3 against Anaheim isn't too shabby) they still just lack that talent/chemistry to close things out.

How many times has Risto tipped a shot past Lehner this season? I've witnessed 2 in the last 2 weeks. That's a killer. Should he be trying to get a stick on it or letting Lehner take the shot? Who even knows. There's no cohesive style, no chemistry. None of these guys knows what the other is doing. Or what the other wants them to do. 

I think this team should be better than it is. But I'm wrong in thinking that because they're bad when it comes to the single most important thing, which is playing hockey well as a team. They sucked at it under Bylsma and they still suck at it now. 

Botterill is going to have to move more guys and hope that shuffling the deck some more gives a better result. That's all he can do. These pieces, as assembled, do not work.

. I think they have some that can work as evident by the power play and goalie pull. There just not enough to make up 2 full lines let alone 3 lines necessary to be successful.

Yes Lehner sucks with the lack of talent on this team. These guys cant put the puck on the tape especially Risto lately. Antipin seems like the only guy who can pass and Nelson seems to be a lot better passing too. But the rest of the D have no touch.

Forwards: Kane is an atrocious passer, same with Pulliot and Erod. These guys need to practice the weave and any other passing drills they can come up with.

So, I didn't even watch the highlights, except for the Eich PP goal.  Very nice pass from Samson.  These two will be very good together for a long time, hopefully here in Buffalo.

I read that they gave up a lead twice and then crawled their way back to tie it up.  Then lost in OT.

The Ducks are a pretty good team and the Sabres are pretty much terrible.  That said, this game gives me some hope.

This is not going to go over well for those drawing a line in the sand, but Phil is right.

Objectively, this team should be playing at the 7 points in 7 games pace that it is currently on.

St Louis and Anaheim and Calgary are better hockey teams and we played them close.

Edmonton and Vancouver are at our level and we beat them handily. Florida is at our level too and they got lucky.

I think Phil has his system in place and finally has most of his key guys playing at the expected level.

We just have too many guys who aren’t good enough to make a difference, even once in a while.

This is what we should be. It’s up to Botterill to improve the talent level.

This is not going to go over well for those drawing a line in the sand, but Phil is right.

Objectively, this team should be playing at the 7 points in 7 games pace that it is currently on.

St Louis and Anaheim and Calgary are better hockey teams and we played them close.

Edmonton and Vancouver are at our level and we beat them handily. Florida is at our level too and they got lucky.

I think Phil has his system in place and finally has most of his key guys playing at the expected level.

We just have too many guys who aren’t good enough to make a difference, even once in a while.

Ditto.

Yup.

This is exactly what I said, but not with words or anything.  Although, I have maintained that recently the effort and learning are there, but the talent level is not what it needs to be.

I agree completely.

I really hope they keep and sign Kane.  He is a piece that will be very valuable to the Sabres in the very near future, if he isn't already.

So, I didn't even watch the highlights, except for the Eich PP goal.  Very nice pass from Samson.  These two will be very good together for a long time, hopefully here in Buffalo.

I read that they gave up a lead twice and then crawled their way back to tie it up.  Then lost in OT.

The Ducks are a pretty good team and the Sabres are pretty much terrible.  That said, this game gives me some hope.

I watched the game, this sums it up nicely for me.

Didn't see it that way. (But don't care enough to go back & rewatch.) Thought Lehner expected Ristolainen to tip it ('cause he always does) but Henrique pulled it far enough to the sde that Risto's attemped deflection just missed.

I remember thinking it was a clear tip in the review last night, but I just watched the highlights on YouTube and I think you might be right.

It gives me no pleasure to say it, but I will reiterate my earlier claim that Lehner is the worst starting goalie in Sabres history.

In addition to yet another late-game choke on the GWG, the GAs that ROR didn't score also resulted from poor goaltending (i.e. fat rebounds deposited on the doorstep).

Yes, the team has many other flaws, but a young team simply needs better goaltending than this -- among other reasons, to close out wins and build confidence.

I think it's at least 50/50 that they let him walk for nothing this summer.

On the positive side, Reino's pass to Eichel for the PPG was very sweet.

I was a STH through the Daren Puppa. era.  He'd give Lehner a run for his money for that title.

. I think they have some that can work as evident by the power play and goalie pull. There just not enough to make up 2 full lines let alone 3 lines necessary to be successful.

Yes Lehner sucks with the lack of talent on this team. These guys cant put the puck on the tape especially Risto lately. Antipin seems like the only guy who can pass and Nelson seems to be a lot better passing too. But the rest of the D have no touch.

Forwards: Kane is an atrocious passer, same with Pulliot and Erod. These guys need to practice the weave and any other passing drills they can come up with.

Get rid of all the bad passers and bring in the good passers. Passing is a skill that should have been mastered by now but apparently these guys are too tired or they don't take it seriously.

Edited by Marvelo

I think there are players on this team who care. We've been seeing good efforts from guys like Eichel and O'Reilly and Okposo. Girgensons had a good game last night. So did Reinhart.  It just doesn't matter much. Effort isn't enough. They just flat out lack the talent and/or chemistry to score. And even when they have good nights like last night (3 against Anaheim isn't too shabby) they still just lack that talent/chemistry to close things out. How many times has Risto tipped a shot past Lehner this season? I've witnessed 2 in the last 2 weeks. That's a killer. Should he be trying to get a stick on it or letting Lehner take the shot? Who even knows. There's no cohesive style, no chemistry. None of these guys knows what the other is doing. Or what the other wants them to do. I think this team should be better than it is. But I'm wrong in thinking that because they're bad when it comes to the single most important thing, which is playing hockey well as a team. They sucked at it under Bylsma and they still suck at it now. Botterill is going to have to move more guys and hope that shuffling the deck some more gives a better result. That's all he can do. These pieces, as assembled, do not work.

A-yup.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.