OT: The Geography of NY

LGR4GM

Interesting that this map from the Appalachian Regional Commission cuts off the region designated as Appalachia just south of Buffalo. That's about where I would say WNY begins, spreading eastward toward Rochester. Many would separate the southern tier from WNY, which doesn't really make sense geographically. But as I posited, WNY is more a vibe, somewhere you belong to for reasons other than the map. There's no doubt the metro areas of WNY look down their nose at the rural areas to their south within the state and -- ack! -- in "Pennsyltucky." It's evident in so many comments on here over the years. d4rk nailed it on his 11 map — "dirt."

Subregions_2009_Map.gif

What is that #### doing in the middle of Tennessee?

Interesting that this map from the Appalachian Regional Commission cuts off the region designated as Appalachia just south of Buffalo. That's about where I would say WNY begins, spreading eastward toward Rochester. Many would separate the southern tier from WNY, which doesn't really make sense geographically. But as I posited, WNY is more a vibe, somewhere you belong to for reasons other than the map. There's no doubt the metro areas of WNY look down their nose at the rural areas to their south within the state and -- ack! -- in "Pennsyltucky." It's evident in so many comments on here over the years. d4rk nailed it on his 11 map — "dirt."

Subregions_2009_Map.gif

Having crossed that boundry hundreds of times, it's almost like the light and air change when you cross that threshold.

Having crossed that boundry hundreds of times, it's almost like the light and air change when you cross that threshold.

Going which way? I can speak of someone who occasionally has to leave God's Country and venture into Satan's Playground. The air is so dewy sweet in the Twin Tiers that we don't have to lick our stamps.

Chautauqua County is part of Pennsyltucky.

FTFY

WNY more or less equals the old 716 area code. I'd guess that means 716 + 585 now? I'd say Southern Tier to be Area code 607 (i.e., not Chatauqua, but if they have a brewery named Southern Tier, they can have that name too.

819px-Area_code_716.svg.png

Edited by MattiPaj

If WNY were limited to Buffalo and its suburbs, we would just call it Erie and Niagara Counties. WNY includes Rochester.

Taro, if you think Buffalo and Rochester are currently in the same condition, you might want to spend a weekday walking around downtown in each city. They're nothing alike anymore. I fear for my life in downtown Rochester. It's like a colder Newark.

Couldn’t disagree more. Rochester’s downtown population had practically tripled in the last 10-15 years and there’s been billions of dollars of investment. I work downtown and it’s night and day (for the better) compared to even 5-10 years ago. Buffalo’s downtown has been developing at a faster pace, though. Both have made huge strides.

Upstate is north of Middletown and east of rte 14.

I hear "upstate" regularly referring to everything in NYS that not NYC, LI, Westchester or Rockland counties. I've actually even hear Nyack referred to as upstate. I routinely refer to myself as from "upstate" without batting an eye. If I were to tell most people in NYC that I'm from "western NY," they say "you mean Jersey?"

I thought WNY only included Buffalo and down to the PA border. I'm not from here but every time I slipped up and said I live in Upstate NY a horde of angry bleu cheese loving locals would chew me out and inform me that this is Western NY and Rochester is Upstate and How Dare I Mix Them Up and yes, to my NYC pals, everything not on Manhattan is "upstate" or "the mountains" (and you have to clarify which- usually means the Catskills as a day escape from Brooklyn) and Buffalo might as well be another country. 

But it really doesn't matter, does it? 

I hear "upstate" regularly referring to everything in NYS that not NYC, LI, Westchester or Rockland counties. I've actually even hear Nyack referred to as upstate. I routinely refer to myself as from "upstate" without batting an eye. If I were to tell most people in NYC that I'm from "western NY," they say "you mean Jersey?"

I had a friend go to Nyack and yes, he always said he lived in upstate NY. So when I said I was going to college in upstate, he said "come visit me! We can't be far away!" uhhhh nope. But we're both from NW Ohio and clueless so 

I fear for my life in downtown Rochester.

As you should. There are nicer parts of downtown (pretty much east of the Genesee as long as you don't venture too far north) but Chiraq ain't got nothing on Rochistan. If my doors didn't lock automatically I'd manually lock them west of Tahous and north of main. Peeps be getting shot and stabbed daily in them parts.

My only view of Buffalo has been from Pearl St to the KBC. :lol:

LMAO used to say anything Poughekpsie and south but burbs have expanded

Edited by Kottbullar

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.