Housley critique

erickompositör72

the biggest problem i see, line in and out, there is not someone camped in front of the goalie distracting them and popping in the rebounds and trash. i think there should be 1 person tickling the goalie, telling him a joke or talking about the weather at all times in the offensive zone. 

reinhart does it on the power play when he is in, but it should be all the time.

You are dead right, as at least one other poster has noticed.

Put him in front of the freaking net.  Every shift.  He is Vanek.  Geez, it's not rocket appliances.

You are dead right, as at least one other poster has noticed.

Put him in front of the freaking net. Every shift. He is Vanek. Geez, it's not rocket appliances.

He's only Vanek if Vanek couldn't shoot to save his life. Vanek could shoot.

A lot.

A lot.

When used correctly, sure he could.  

Reinhart did have 23 goals his rookie year, for what it's worth.  I'd like to see him parked in front for tip-ins more.  If not, might as well trade him.

When used correctly, sure he could.  

Reinhart did have 23 goals his rookie year, for what it's worth.  I'd like to see him parked in front for tip-ins more.  If not, might as well trade him.

Put another 20 lbs on him so he doesnt get knocked on his keister so frequently

The disappointment with Housley is heavy. We were promised fast skating, quick puck movement and scoring. Instead, the team looks worse than anything I can remember with zero hope of improving any time soon. They might need 20 new players. I can't think of 5 I'd like to keep.

A lot.

Vanek was also one of the strongest players on the puck I've ever watched in a Sabres jersey, and could stick handle through traffic.

He wasn't the fastest, but if he got a step on you, he knew how to use his reach and body positioning to never let you take the puck away from him.

Oh yeah, and as others mentioned, he wouldn't fall to the ice if you blew on him

So, no, Reinhart is not Vanek

IMO, and I've been expressing it for over 18 months, there is WAY too much Reinhart love, hope, patience, protection.  He is what he has performed, a borderline 3rd line winger.  He's not turning into Adam Oates (think more Joel Armia).  Move on and get what you can for him.

IMO, and I've been expressing it for over 18 months, there is WAY too much Reinhart love, hope, patience, protection.  He is what he has performed, a borderline 3rd line winger.  He's not turning into Adam Oates (think more Joel Armia).  Move on and get what you can for him.

Well, at present, Armia doesn't blow (which is nice, maybe). Unless Moe-ray-all wants him, there is almost no reason to pull the trigger this season. He's worth 5 cents on the $. Is it REALLY that bad to eventually sell him for 3 cents?

Now, if the Habs (or Otters) want him, it might be time to play Monty Hall & give 'em the Zinger hiding behind door 2. ;)

IMO, and I've been expressing it for over 18 months, there is WAY too much Reinhart love, hope, patience, protection. He is what he has performed, a borderline 3rd line winger. He's not turning into Adam Oates (think more Joel Armia). Move on and get what you can for him.

Maybe we're reading different threads but the Reino love seems few and far between. I think he's got top 6 potential with a middle six floor. Unloading him now doesn't seem wise as his value couldn't be lower.

I don't get this mindset. He's on an ELC this season and he'll likely sign a bridge contract for cheap when the season is over. Unless you think his lack of production is bringing the rest of the team down or his attitude is causing problems in the locker room it's better to hold on to him and see if he can rebound/improve. It's not like he's signed to a long term deal for big money.

I don't get this mindset. He's on an ELC this season and he'll likely sign a bridge contract for cheap when the season is over. Unless you think his lack of production is bringing the rest of the team down or his attitude is causing problems in the locker room it's better to hold on to him and see if he can rebound/improve. It's not like he's signed to a long term deal for big money.

It depends what other teams are willing to pay. We don’t know what potential offers Botterill could get. I posted in another thread that McKenzie said teams are calling on Reinhart. Maybe there’s an offer to JBot’s liking, particularly if he thinks Reinhart’s value is unlikely to improve.

To the bolded, I’m not sure I’d call it an attitude issue, but there have long been rumours that Reinhart appears less than dedicated to his craft, and that mindset is something I’d love to see removed from the room, if such things are true.

In my post, I said I'd been saying this for 18 months (as have many of the posters on this board).  What could the Sabres have gotten for him 18 months ago??  My point is/was, management failed to realize (or admit) that Sam was not going to be a top 6 on a good team (he's barely top 6 on this mess of a team).  It's too late now.  Everyone in the NHL knows he's JAG and now the return will be commensurate.

In my post, I said I'd been saying this for 18 months (as have many of the posters on this board). What could the Sabres have gotten for him 18 months ago?? My point is/was, management failed to realize (or admit) that Sam was not going to be a top 6 on a good team (he's barely top 6 on this mess of a team). It's too late now. Everyone in the NHL knows he's JAG and now the return will be commensurate.

Fair point. Thanks for clarifying. I see your logic, I just think he still has more value than you think he does. I thinks there's a good chance his game rebounds when the team improves too. You hope for a driver with a #2 overall pick but I've accepted that he's a passenger and that's fine.

As long as he's a cost controlled RFA that isn't anchored to the cap creating opportunity cost against improving, I don't mind letting him work through his struggles here.

I wouldn't worry about moving him until we have a legitimate upgrade to him on the roster to replace him though and from I what see of our organizational depth that's not happening anytime soon.

If someone overpays for him, though, I'd ship him out in a heartbeat.

Edited by Alkoholist

Fair point. Thanks for clarifying. I see your logic, I just think he still has more value than you think he does. I thinks there's a good chance his game rebounds when the team improves too. You hope for a driver with a #2 overall pick but I've accepted that he's a passenger and that's fine.

As long as he's a cost controlled RFA that isn't anchored to the cap creating opportunity cost against improving, I don't mind letting him work through his struggles here.

I wouldn't worry about moving him until we have a legitimate upgrade to him on the roster to replace him though and from I what see of our organizational depth that's not happening anytime soon.

If someone overpays for him, though, I'd ship him out in a heartbeat.

That’s the thing: if we think he still has value, other teams may, too. I wouldn’t rule out Botterill getting a return enticing enough to move him.

In my post, I said I'd been saying this for 18 months (as have many of the posters on this board).  What could the Sabres have gotten for him 18 months ago??  My point is/was, management failed to realize (or admit) that Sam was not going to be a top 6 on a good team (he's barely top 6 on this mess of a team).  It's too late now.  Everyone in the NHL knows he's JAG and now the return will be commensurate.

So wait, you've been saying Reinhart was going to be a washout since 18 months ago? When he was coming off a 42-point Rookie season, where he finished 16th voting for the Lady Bing and 9th for the Calder trophy? I don't doubt you did, but it sounds a lot like bias if you were still down on the guy after a great season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.