When will Jack have a breakout game this season?

GASabresIUFAN

Right. He was drafted to be a franchise centre, and is going to be paid like one, so 62 points in that sense isn't good enough. But technically that argument would be better suited for next season, once his contract kicks in, if he's still producing like this.

Definitely. Although I'd argue he's lucky he signed before the season. I think he'd be getting closer to $8 million if we had waited. On the plus side we should be able to extend Reinhart for peanuts. Nylander will likely be dirt cheap too, although he still has another year to get his head on straight.

I think Jacks problem is that the teams PP sucks. 

He is actually scoring at a higher rate 5x5 this season than last season.

How is it possible that he has 3 PP points all season? who is the PP coach now? what team did the guy go who coached them last year?

Jack isn't simply a casualty of a bad powerplay. He's a big factor in why the PP has been so poor. There are other factors of course, but he definitely owns a part in it.

I wouldn't rule out Eichel becoming as impactful as a guy like Stamkos. Didn't Stamkos have a start to his career similar to Eichel? Agree on the others.

It's all perspective. Separate Eichel's season from expectations and that coming 10 million dollar contract. His current season pace is 21 goals, 41 assists, and 62 points. That's a good season.

Relative to what we thought we'd be getting from Jack this season, it's not. So in actuality I view his season so far as somewhere in between.

You made me look.

Stamkos had 46 points as a rookie.

Stamkos had 232 at the end of his 3rd year. Essentially 3 full seasons (he missed 3 games as a rookie). 119 goals;113 assists.

Stamkos was .955 PPG

Jack is .806 PPG

Translates to a 12 point difference per season.

They live in the same subdivision. Stamkos has the better, bigger, fancier home.

Lastly, Stamkos blossomed noticeably in years 2 and 3.

Data, no conclusion.

To add: “Best since Crosby, excluding McDavid” language put him ahead of Kane, Tavares and Stamkos, among others, in the eyes of experts.

I’d say Stamkos had an organizational readiness advantage.

Time will tell ...

Edited by neo

I'd still count it as a breakout performance even though they lost. He was phenomenal.

Agree, but losing on Jack’s breakout performance sums up the Sabres season and team in a nutshell.

I don’t think Stamkos is really the right comparison to Jack. Matthews and Stamkos seem like a closer comparison based on type of game.

I compare Jack to Tavares. Johnny T is similar size and can either be a scorer or playmaker. His first 3 years were 54, 67 and 81 pts. With 84 goals and 118 assists for 202 pts in 243 games. (.35 g/gp and .83 pts per game). For his career, Tavares scores at .41 g/gp and .93 p/gp.

Jack’s seasons so far 56, 57 (in 61 games), and 28 (33 games) with 59 goals, 82 assists for 141 pts in 175 games (.34g/gp and .81 pts per game). Lets hope Jack produces at least as well with Johnny T.

Edited by Georgia Flakt

Agree, but losing on Jack’s breakout performance sums up the Sabres season and team in a nutshell.

I don’t think Stamkos is really the right comparison to Jack. Matthews and Stamkos seem like a closer comparison based on type of game.

I compare Jack to Tavares. Johnny T is similar size and can either be a scorer or playmaker. His first 3 years were 54, 67 and 81 pts. With 84 goals and 118 assists for 202 pts in 243 games. (.35 g/gp and .83 pts per game). For his career, Tavares scores at .41 g/gp and .93 p/gp.

Jack’s seasons so far 56, 57 (in 61 games), and 28 (33 games) with 59 goals, 82 assists for 141 pts in 175 games (.34g/gp and .81 pts per game). Lets hope Jack produces at least as well with Johnny T.

I agree about which players are more similar. I read the original post as going to impact which, to me, is more important.

I’d now be happy with Tavares. This is a lowered expectation.

As I’ve said, it’s early. I’m a little surprised on the lowered ceiling at this point. I am by no means ruling out a higher one. The kid landed into a fire drill with unmarked exits and he’s not a fire marshall.

I want a 45/55/100 player. He’ll need time and help. Shoot, Jack, shoot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.