When will Jack have a breakout game this season?

GASabresIUFAN

So many excuses so little time. Learning two way hockey or not, Jack needs to start dominating some games. He needs to be a little more selfish and shoot more. Housley finally separating Jack from Kane made the team better last night and with the new freedom Jack needs to assert himself and focus on scoring goals.

Until Jack is the best player on the ice most nights, the Sabres will remain stuck in neutral.

More Jack stats

2 pt games: 6. Record 1-3-2

2 pt games in last 27 games: 2, one each in Nov and Dec.

3 pt or more games: ZERO

Edited by Georgia Flakt

So many excuses so little time. Learning two way hockey or not, Jack needs to start dominating some games. He needs to be a little more selfish and shoot more. Housley finally separating Jack from Kane made the team better last night and with the new freedom Jack needs to assert himself and focus on scoring goals.

Until Jack is the best player on the ice most nights, the Sabres will remain stuck in neutral.

More Jack stats

2 pt games: 6. Record 1-3-2

2 pt games in last 27 games: 2, one each in Nov and Dec.

3 pt or more games: ZERO

How do you feel if a period of neutral ends up with the Sabres having one of the top two-way guys in the league? And I don't mean Toews two-way, a guy that can score some and play D, but an elite scoring threat and can play D. I'm not sure Jack will get there, but man that's enticing.

How do you feel if a period of neutral ends up with the Sabres having one of the top two-way guys in the league? And I don't mean Toews two-way, a guy that can score some and play D, but an elite scoring threat and can play D. I'm not sure Jack will get there, but man that's enticing.

I’m sorry there is no excuse for a scorer to regress offensively just because he is learning to play 2 way hockey.

I’m sorry there is no excuse for a scorer to regress offensively just because he is learning to play 2 way hockey.

:blink: I think it's pretty reasonable that during the period of learning and figuring new things out a person isn't as productive as they could be focusing on the one thing they already do well.

Jack is averaging almost .8 pts per game. He also has a number of two pt games. However, he has yet to dominate a game like last season.

Last season he had at least 4 three pt games and was -13 for the season, but on game he dominated he was a plus player.

He is -11 for the season and was a -5 in the two OT losses to Chi and Stl. There is just something off.

He basically hasn't scored a single goal yet this year where he legit beat a goalie with his shot. Think about that. Not one. Over 30 games!

The closest he came was two squeakers he fired from the right boards that snuck low through the goalie. Generally 2 goals a goalie would want back.

The rest were "garbage" goals. They do all count the same.

But I don't get it.

Edited by Bjorn Borg

Ristolainen has had a better year, so has Eichel. They're much more rounded and better players, they're just not scoring right now

Okposo is old and can't fit into the system. RoR is always up and down

Sure, that is his job. If you want to squeeze another 82 points out of this than Byslma's your man, be my guest. If you want to play the right way that leads to success, but exposes players as being actually bad, than go with Housley.

The hole's round, sure. The hole will always be round. Instead lets trim the sides of the peg and make it fit 

There, now we're even

In my view Eichel was better last season, but his defensive improvement this year is promising.

I think there maybe something to this at least on the PP, but Housley’s system mixed with Kane on his line, changed him from shoot first to pass first.

Yep ... pretty obvious on the PP as his 1st move from down low is usually a pass back to the left point.

Where's the Eichel one-time bomb from his off wing? Wasn't it going to be the next Ovi? The only thing Eichel and Ovechkin have shared this season is the broken controller move.

I don't remember who it was, Bogosian I think, tried to feed Jack across the high slot for one of those last night (on a PP maybe?). The pass didn't quite get there, but I think guys on the team are aware that it's a play they want to try. 

I think there maybe something to this at least on the PP, but Housley’s system mixed with Kane on his line, changed him from shoot first to pass first.

Unfortunately, his assist pace has remained about the same, slightly slower, even though he's passing more. And obviously the goals have gone down.

So if shooting more doesn't have a negative affect on his assist totals, and obviously results in more goals, I'm wishing Jack would go back to his previous style.

I don't think we can exclusively blame the system and Kane for Jack's lack of goal scoring. In the end it's still his choice to pass up the shots he is, and when he does shoot he's missing the net all too often.

If he got his shot on track, passing lanes would probably open up as well

It's very possible, I think all us Sabres fans made a mistake and crowned Jack as an elite generational player before he ever truly showed he can be

That's the case. He's a great player, but not generational/elite. Doesn't appear to have the focus or drive, or the super high end hand/eye coordination the elite guys like Crosby, McDavid, Stamkos, Ovechkin, etc have. 

That's the case. He's a great player, but not generational/elite. Doesn't appear to have the focus or drive, or the super high end hand/eye coordination the elite guys like Crosby, McDavid, Stamkos, Ovechkin, etc have.

I wouldn't rule out Eichel becoming as impactful as a guy like Stamkos. Didn't Stamkos have a start to his career similar to Eichel? Agree on the others.

It's all perspective. Separate Eichel's season from expectations and that coming 10 million dollar contract. His current season pace is 21 goals, 41 assists, and 62 points. That's a good season.

Relative to what we thought we'd be getting from Jack this season, it's not. So in actuality I view his season so far as somewhere in between.

I wouldn't rule out Eichel becoming as impactful as a guy like Stamkos. Didn't Stamkos have a start to his career similar to Eichel? Agree on the others.

It's all perspective. Separate Eichel's season from expectations and that coming 10 million dollar contract. His current season pace is 21 goals, 41 assists, and 62 points. That's a good season.

Relative to what we thought we'd be getting from Jack this season, it's not. So in actuality I view his season so far as somewhere in between.

62 points is good, but not $10 million per year good, and unfair or not, that's how he's going to be judged now. This team is riddled with players who under produce for how much they are paid (with the exception of Kane and a few others).

Eichel should probably be making what O'Reilly makes ($7.5 million per season)

O'Reilly should probably be making what Okposo makes ($6 million per season)

Okposo should probably be making what Moulson makes ($5 million per season)

62 points is good, but not $10 million per year good, and unfair or not, that's how he's going to be judged now. This team is riddled with players who under produce for how much they are paid (with the exception of Kane and a few others).

Eichel should probably be making what O'Reilly makes ($7.5 million per season)

O'Reilly should probably be making what Okposo makes ($6 million per season)

Okposo should probably be making what Moulson makes ($5 million per season)

Right. He was drafted to be a franchise centre, and is going to be paid like one, so 62 points in that sense isn't good enough. But technically that argument would be better suited for next season, once his contract kicks in, if he's still producing like this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.