DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Outside Kane, this is the Sabres team for the rest of the season, get used to it.  

The deadline market is mostly a rental market.  That doesn't mean that long-term players aren't acquired at the deadline, but it means that the majority of the deals involve UFAs and teams look for a piece or two to improve their Cup chances.

We saw today why Lehner isn't going anywhere until the summer; we are bad with him and down right horrible without him. 

Deals, if they occur, for Lehner, Reinhart, ROR, Okposo, abd/or Bogo will occur around the draft when teams are looking for long-term solutions.  

I hope that Jbot proves me wrong and can make some positive in season moves, but I doubt.  

If Kane is traded there are only 5 forwards under contract next season... not counting Rodrigues.... honestly I have no idea what he's still doing in Buffalo. Why is he still here? Smells very tanky.

Well, even if he isn't traded, the Sabres still only have 5 forwards under contract next season not counting ERod.

Not saying I wouldn't trade him, just that the defense plays better when he's healthy.

The D definitely does play better w/ him in the lineup. That's because he's their 3rd best D-man & McCabe elevates his play when paired w/ him.

But, considering that he will ALWAYS miss at least 20 games & his cap hit could be more effectively used; he should absolutely be on the block. If he's here next year, he has to be the #5 or they are in trouble again.

If Kane is traded there are only 5 forwards under contract next season... not counting Rodrigues.... honestly I have no idea what he's still doing in Buffalo. Why is he still here? Smells very tanky.

ROR, Jack, KO, Pommers, Larsson, and Girgensons = 6 players

Once Reinhart is re-signed 4/6 of the top 6 returns. To fix this lineup someone of those 4 needs to be traded.

Edited by Georgia Flakt

ROR, Jack, KO, Pommers, Larsson, and Girgensons = 6 players

Once Reinhart is re-signed 4/6 of the top 6 returns. To fix this lineup someone of those 4 needs to be traded.

I can think of several candidates of those. No problem culling that herd.

The D definitely does play better w/ him in the lineup. That's because he's their 3rd best D-man & McCabe elevates his play when paired w/ him.

But, considering that he will ALWAYS miss at least 20 games & his cap hit could be more effectively used; he should absolutely be on the block. If he's here next year, he has to be the #5 or they are in trouble again.

This exactly.

The sarcasm is strong with this one. Memory? Not so much. :p

You and I both know its not normal to have an Amerk sitting in the press box on a road trip. Especially with Bots strong acumen in building a stable situation on the farm team.

Josefsen was out last game and Baptiste still sat in the press box. I don't recall to many times they did a call up to drag around press box to press box for a 3/4 game swing.

Hence, the curiosity. You may very well be right. Seems odd is all. :P

You and I both know its not normal to have an Amerk sitting in the press box on a road trip. Especially with Bots strong acumen in building a stable situation on the farm team.

Josefsen was out last game and Baptiste still sat in the press box. I don't recall to many times they did a call up to drag around press box to press box for a 3/4 game swing.

Hence, the curiosity. You may very well be right. Seems odd is all. :P

There's a difference between heading to Pittsburgh and Philly versus a west coast swing. It's definitely normal to have an extra body out west.

As for sitting in the press box...that's on Housley, not Botterill.

Everybody is looking at SanJose to add Kane.  What if we offered ROR and Reinhart for Couture and Labanc.  

It would be an exchange of a veteran and young players for each team.  SanJose actually gets a player to replace Thornton that they can build around the next five years. Buffalo rids a high salary and can make Jack the true number 1.  Makes way for Middlestat next year to come in as #2 center.

Larsson goes to Pitt for Hagelin.  Gets Pitt a #3 center, salary dump of Hagelin.

Kane and Beaulieu to Anaheim for Silfverberg, Montour and 2018 3rd rd pick.  Willing to take less because we get solid young D in Montour.

Everybody is looking at SanJose to add Kane.  What if we offered ROR and Reinhart for Couture and Labanc.  

It would be an exchange of a veteran and young players for each team.  SanJose actually gets a player to replace Thornton that they can build around the next five years. Buffalo rids a high salary and can make Jack the true number 1.  Makes way for Middlestat next year to come in as #2 center.

Larsson goes to Pitt for Hagelin.  Gets Pitt a #3 center, salary dump of Hagelin.

Kane and Beaulieu to Anaheim for Silfverberg, Montour and 2018 3rd rd pick.  Willing to take less because we get solid young D in Montour.

SJ would have to sweeten the pot in that trade. I am not trading Reinhart for Lebanc.  ROR and Couture are in the same league so they wash for me. 

SJ would have to sweeten the pot in that trade. I am not trading Reinhart for Lebanc.  ROR and Couture are in the same league so they wash for me.

Couture for ROR sounds good to me, he would look good on Jack's left side. Wasn't he a Sabres fan growing up? ROR could be the third bearded Musketeer.

I wouldn't give Reinhart for Labanc either. I still believe in Sam getting back to last season's numbers.

Couture for ROR sounds good to me, he would look good on Jack's left side. Wasn't he a Sabres fan growing up? ROR could be the third bearded Musketeer.

I wouldn't give Reinhart for Labanc either. I still believe in Sam getting back to last season's numbers.

He's a Bills fan but not sure about the Sabres.

Crazy thought. We are stuck with Moulsons deal for next season as well. SJ recently sent Paul Martin to the minors. I don’t know if Martin can still play, but like Moulson he has another year left at 4.85. What about a swap? Jbot know Martin well from Pitt and Martin, if there is something left in the tank, can certainly reach our kids to play defense.

So what incentive can we give SJ to take Moulson? We could eat some cap? Give them a late rd pick. Maybe the cost difference in salary, Moulson’s is less, would be enough.

Crazy thought. We are stuck with Moulsons deal for next season as well. SJ recently sent Paul Martin to the minors. I don’t know if Martin can still play, but like Moulson he has another year left at 4.85. What about a swap? Jbot know Martin well from Pitt and Martin, if there is something left in the tank, can certainly reach our kids to play defense.

So what incentive can we give SJ to take Moulson? We could eat some cap? Give them a late rd pick. Maybe the cost difference in salary, Moulson’s is less, would be enough.

I'd retain the max 50% on Moulson. Whatever it takes without extending his cap hit beyond next season.