DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Kyrou would be expensive, he's scored a lot since being drafted. Bellows would be cheaper, as he hasn't, but power forwards often take time to develop, so if I was the Islanders I would hang onto him.  Brendan Lemieux and Kassian come to mind as that type of player that takes some time.

My predictions

* Kane for a pick or young player with a 50 per cent chance of being almost as good as Kane.

* Pouliot and Gorges for next to nothing.

* We take on a contract dump to clear cap space for a contender (think along the lines of McCabe for Girardi and a prospect so the Lightning have space to acquire McDonagh)

* a minor league deal to help Rochester.

Also hoping for Lehner for Halak and a prospect, but not expecting it.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

From Craig Custance

According to an NHL source, Buffalo isn’t moving off its ask on Evander Kane that is in line with rental players from previous trade deadlines, an ask that includes a first-round pick and other young pieces that range in quantity depending on the quality. There’s no reason to think the asking price on Nash would be any less.

“I think it’s fair to say the prices are high and this is how it goes every year,” said an executive from an Eastern Conference buyer.

From Craig Custance

According to an NHL source, Buffalo isn’t moving off its ask on Evander Kane that is in line with rental players from previous trade deadlines, an ask that includes a first-round pick and other young pieces that range in quantity depending on the quality. There’s no reason to think the asking price on Nash would be any less.

“I think it’s fair to say the prices are high and this is how it goes every year,” said an executive from an Eastern Conference buyer.

No on has to take on Kane or Nash at the deadline.  It would be status quo and that could be fine.

Except one GM isn't going to believe that another GM isn't making a move and they will jump and then everyone goes.  That's how it works... the expectation that every GM in the running for Kane or Nash will be content to sit around and drive the price way down is unrealistic.  What makes it worse is that GMs might have a ranking for Kane or Nash and they might not want to be stuck with one or the other (or one can't get Nash).

Someone is going to jump to get the guy they want... the fear of missing out and not succeeding in the playoffs is going to haunt the buying GM more than anything Botterill has to endure.  As the tension heightens it will come out that a trade for Kane is imminent and that will break the logjam.  Be it true or not.

Has anything of real substance been said by anybody, regarding trade rumors, since the season began?

Does this count from Matt Larkin

Rather than speculate further, I got Botterill on the phone today. He said he obviously couldn't go into much detail right now about specific trade machinations, but he did point out what makes Kane unique as an asset.

"There will be players on the trade market who can maybe score more than Evander does, but it’s the entire package Evander brings that is why teams have been inquiring about his status here with us," Botterill said. "And also his age, where he’s at right now. He’s a 26-year-old player. A lot of the other ones on the market are older. Evander’s a young player coming into his prime right now."

Botterill's naturally wanting to advertise his prize to potential suitors, but he makes a good point. Kane's tools are different from any other potential trade rental's.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/ask-me-anything-who-will-win-the-rick-nash-sweepstakes

Does this count from Matt Larkin

Rather than speculate further, I got Botterill on the phone today. He said he obviously couldn't go into much detail right now about specific trade machinations, but he did point out what makes Kane unique as an asset.

"There will be players on the trade market who can maybe score more than Evander does, but it’s the entire package Evander brings that is why teams have been inquiring about his status here with us," Botterill said. "And also his age, where he’s at right now. He’s a 26-year-old player. A lot of the other ones on the market are older. Evander’s a young player coming into his prime right now."

Botterill's naturally wanting to advertise his prize to potential suitors, but he makes a good point. Kane's tools are different from any other potential trade rental's.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/ask-me-anything-who-will-win-the-rick-nash-sweepstakes

It really doesn't count, no 

My predictions

* Kane for a pick or young player with a 50 per cent chance of being almost as good as Kane.

* Pouliot and Gorges for next to nothing.

* We take on a contract dump to clear cap space for a contender (think along the lines of McCabe for Girardi and a prospect so the Lightning have space to acquire McDonagh)

* a minor league deal to help Rochester.

Also hoping for Lehner for Halak and a prospect, but not expecting it.

This sounds like an awfully high assigned percentage when the player in question is a virtual lock 20/25 goal scorer, year in, and year out.

Edited by Thorny

This sounds like an awfully high assigned percentage when the player in question is a virtual lock 20/25 goal scorer, year in, and year out.

Of course it is too high.  Assuming we get a first, it will be a first at the bottom 1/3 of the round, which means the pick is more likely to be 50% just to make the NHL.

Of course it is too high. Assuming we get a first, it will be a first at the bottom 1/3 of the round, which means the pick is more likely to be 50% just to make the NHL.

Hmm...

Not sure you guys read that as intended.

I meant the best we can hope for is a player whose ceiling is lower than Kane’s and the odds are just as good of that player being say Brendan Lemieux as they are that player being say, Alex Killorn or Tanner Pearson. You’re probably going to get Marcus Foligno.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Hmm...

I meant the best we can hope for is a player whose ceiling is lower than Kane’s and the odds are just as good of that player being say Brendan Lemieux as they are that player being say, Alex Killorn or Tanner Pearson. You’re probably going to get Marcus Foligno.

So if not Dahlin, you pick an offense with the first pick and go D with the second lower number 1.  They take time to develop but will more likely be successful.  Gonna need a D on Rochester to develop next year anyway as Ghule will be stepping up.

Hmm...

Yeah, it def did not read that way.  Your clairification is what I expect out of a Kane trade.