DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

It won't happen, but if we could do Halak for Lehner, I will jump up and down cheering

I get that you don’t like Lehner, but that is essentially trading him for two months of a worse goalie.

Lehner has outperformed Halak for the past three years

ROR fiancée name is Dayna Douros, she is the mother of his son and they have been together since he was in Colorado.

How do we know the baby is hers?

I like the idea of ROR.   From the outside he seems like a guy everybody would want on their team.    Just something about him this season tho, like he's lost a step or two.    Appears out of shape always with his head down, short strides, and shoulders slouched struggling to get back in the play on the backcheck... runs out of gas 20s into a shift.   I don't get it, you'd think he'd have shown up in terrific shape this season to make push for the playoffs and chance to be Captain.     Maybe he's just one of those guys that loses some of the extra motivation once they're financially set for life.     He likes guitar tho, he's probably gotten better at that.   

Edited by pi2000

I wrote this same thing a few days ago and deleted it because I remembered he was acquitted of all charges. Not that we're gonna get sued or anything...

Duly noted and deleted. 

Since Gramps deleted his original post you know what you have to do, right, PA?

You need to delete your post quoting his original post and then it's like it never happened.

Couple more options I have been looking at...

Trade #1- Larsson, Baptiste, Tennyson and 2019 3rd pick to Ottawa for Hoffman, Cici.

Buffalo gets a sniper to replace Kane, Cici gives them a young stable RD for second or third pairing.

Ottawa removes cap space in removing Hoffman.

Trade #2- Lehner, Nylander to NYI for Halak and Keifer Bellows.

Swap of goalies and prospects.

Trade #3- Kane to St Louis for Jordan Kyrou and 2018 2nd rd, and 2019 conditional (1st if they make conference finals or Kane resigns in St Louis)

St Louis gets their sniper and Sabres get prospect and picks.

Trade #4- ROR and Bogo to San Jose for Tomas Hertl, Timo Meir and Brenden Dillon.

San Jose gets long term center to fill Thorton's spot and we get younger and more D help.

Next years lineup

Hoffman- Eichel- Okapis

Meir- Hertl- Reinhart

Girgensons- Rodrigues- Pommer

CJ Smith, Malone, Bailey 

Scandella- Risto

Guhle- Cici

Dillion- McCabe

Ullmark

These trades gives us prospects of Bellows and Kyrou to join Middlestat in Rochester next year.

Edited by sweetlou

I'd be very surprised if the Islanders consider any trade that asked for Bellows.  Bailey is unrestricted this year and with what they need to give up to get Tavares they are unlikely to let one of their most promising young stars go.  They can't move Bailey this season either which means they need to let him walk or hope like hell they can sign him.

If we're trading with the Islanders it will be for a defensive prospect or potentially one of their young D on the roster.  Unfortunately, De Haan and Hickey are both UFA as well.  This makes the Islanders job of trading away younger D difficult as well.  

While I think Lehner is what the Islanders desperately need to make them a serious contender in the playoffs, I'm not sure what they are willing to give up.  It would probably involve picks and clearly Halak so the Sabres don't have to pull up Ullmark.

Trade #1- Larsson, Baptiste, Tennyson and 2019 3rd pick to Ottawa for Hoffman, Cici.

Buffalo gets a sniper to replace Kane, Cici gives them a young stable RD for second or third pairing.

Trade #3- Kane to St Louis for Jordan Kyrou and 2018 2nd rd, and 2019 conditional (1st if they make conference finals or Kane resigns in St Louis)

Trade #4- ROR and Bogo to San Jose for Tomas Hertl, Timo Meir and Brenden Dillon.

San Jose gets long term center to fill Thorton's spot and we get younger and more D help.

Next years lineup

Hoffman- Eichel- Okapis

Meir- Hertl- Reinhart

CJ Smith, Malone, Bailey 

Scandella- Risto

Guhle- Cici

Dillion- McCabe

Ullmark

These trades gives us prospects of Bellows and Kyrou to join Middlestat in Rochester next year.

Trade 1: Hoffman would instantly be our 3rd or 4th best forward, and Ceci our 2nd best defenseman. This trade is absolutely insane. Of the pieces Buffalo has, it would take ROR to get that return. Kane, Reinhart, and anyone else but him and Jack isn't enough. If you're looking futures, you're talking Mittelstadt with probably some small pieces. You offered absolute junk for a legitimate 3/4D and a guy who can score 25-30 goals per year and skates like the wind.

Trade 2 is better, not sure NYI does that though. 

Next years lineup

Hoffman- Eichel- Okapis

Meir- Hertl- Reinhart

CJ Smith, Malone, Bailey 

Scandella- Risto

Guhle- Cici

Dillion- McCabe

Ullmark

Trade #1 - OTT would laugh at that offer.   Switch Tennyson with Guhle, and the 3rd to a 1st.... and maybe they don't let out a chuckle.  

Trade #2 - An average goalie and a lazy underachieving prospect for an average goalie and one of the top prospects in hockey.   Bad deal for NYI.

Trade #3 - It's gonna take more than Kane just to land Kyrou.  

Trade #4 - SJS doesn't have the cap space.  They'd be adding a net $10mil/yr in salary with that deal.    Maybe with Thorton coming off the books it could work, but that would leave them much with many spots to fill next season. 

Next years lineup

Hoffman- Eichel- Okapis

Meir- Hertl- Reinhart

CJ Smith, Malone, Bailey 

Scandella- Risto

Guhle- Cici

Dillion- McCabe

Ullmark

If Rodriguez and Pommers are on the roster next year, expect another lottery pick. Both need to be gone. 

Next years lineup

Hoffman- Eichel- Okapis

Meir- Hertl- Reinhart

CJ Smith, Malone, Bailey 

Scandella- Risto

Guhle- Cici

Dillion- McCabe

Ullmark

Hoffman- Eichel- Okapis.  I guess it is true, anyone can be successful on Jack's wing. ;)

Trade #2 - An average goalie and a lazy underachieving prospect for an average goalie and one of the top prospects in hockey.   Bad deal for NYI.

Gonna disagree here.. I think Nylander and Bellows are pretty close in terms of value. Definitely same tier prospect at this point. I don't think anyone considers Bellows "one of the top prospects in hockey." He's somwhere in that 25-50 range. And I'm a HUGE Bellows fan. Would love to bring him in.

If Rodriguez and Pommers are on the roster next year, expect another lottery pick. Both need to be gone. 

Add Zemgus.  I'd like to see that entire 3rd line not on the team next year.

Per Renuad Lavoie of RDS Pacioretty feels a trade is imminent.

Honestly... how would Pacioretty NOT want to be out of there at this point.  I'd tell Renaud that a trade was imminent just to get anyone who might be on the fence to jump in on getting him.

Botterill on GR a lot of communication, but teams are reluctant to part with prospects or First and Second Picks until they know what their playoff chances are.

They will not give any team permission to talk to Kane about a contract extension before trade deadline

He is comfortable with waiting until the deadline.

ROR is not a player he would like to move now, he is not shopping him. But the team is not where it needs to be right now.

Botterill added "O'Reilly is a huge part of what we're doing here"