Kyle Criscuolo, Botterill's canary in the coal mine

PASabreFan

I had no idea who Kyle Criscuolo was until reading the News today (oh boy). He's not a savior and no one should expect him to be.

But — damn it — he'd better be able to play some hockey. Tonight. This is what Jason Botterill is supposed to be all about. Finding good young players, putting them in positions to grow and develop, and then bringing them up to the big club when they're ready. An eye for talent, patience, timing.

If I see evidence that Criscuolo can play, I'll be a lot more confident in the Sabres' future. If he expires in his cage, I'll be even more bummed about the next few years.

Edited by PASabreFan

I don't think he's a legitimate prospect.

Sometimes there may be handshake deals in the off season to give a guy one game in the show if he signs.

The lone surviving northern Monarch butterfly, trying to make it back to Mexico to join his friends, just got sucked into the grill of a logging truck in Kentucky.

I think Criscuolo is exactly like Seth Griffith - a guy we signed believing he would be a useful cog in what we want to build in Rochester, with an outside shot at developing into an NHLer under the right circumstances.

Anything he shows up here is found money.

I think Criscuolo is exactly like Seth Griffith - a guy we signed believing he would be a useful cog in what we want to build in Rochester, with an outside shot at developing into an NHLer under the right circumstances.

Anything he shows up here is found money.

The lone surviving kitten just... nah.

Man, you guys are depressing.

Is Botterill really all about luck, or something? I don't want Crisco to be "found money." I want him to be good and Jason knew it all along. That's what Botterill does, no?

Edited by PASabreFan

Yup.

So your season is on the cusp of being unsalvageable and you make a callup and it's not about turning things around, it's about getting a marginal talent a peak at the big leagues? Maybe a little fresh meat to go along with the bread and circuses for the masses? They're worried about breaking Guhle if he makes a mistake up here, but not Crisco?

Crisco, with a greasy goal!

Nice. 1997 Rick would say this. Not sure the poor guy has anything left in the tank, creativity-wise.

So your season is on the cusp of being unsalvageable and you make a callup and it's not about turning things around, it's about getting a marginal talent a peak at the big leagues? Maybe a little fresh meat to go along with the bread and circuses for the masses? They're worried about breaking Guhle if he makes a mistake up here, but not Crisco?

Nice. 1997 Rick would say this. Not sure the poor guy has anything left in the tank, creativity-wise.

There is no "turning things around". This season is dead in the water. 

Here's what Kevin O wrote about him in The Buffalo Star. Article was "Which Amerks could help the Sabres?", and he was under the "Could help in a pinch" section:

Kyle Criscuolo ©

Again, he’s not playing a regular shift in Buffalo for 20 games. But he’s shifty, smart, crafty and can skate, so when a forward is needed, he’ll deserve a chance.

He has 5-6-11 in 14 games.

The knock: he’s small, just 5-9, 175. The second to last thing the Sabres need is more small forwards.

https://www.thebuffalostar.com/2017/11/which-amerks-can-help-the-sabres/

Edited by sabills

The small forward thing was valid 2-3 years ago.  Size is less relevant in the game that's being played today.  I'll take the "shifty, smart, crafty, and can skate" piece.  That's the critical component. 

I'll be curious to see what he can do.  This is definitely a way of the team figuring out who will be here next year.

The small forward thing was valid 2-3 years ago.  Size is less relevant in the game that's being played today.  I'll take the "shifty, smart, crafty, and can skate" piece.  That's the critical component. 

I'll be curious to see what he can do.  This is definitely a way of the team figuring out who will be here next year.

I was just going to say something like this.

Also, what's the first last thing the Sabres need?

The Sabres actually have a group of forwards that is relatively big, or at least hard on the puck:

Kane, Eichel, O’Reilly, Okposo on their first tier

Pouliot, Larsson, Girgensons, Baptiste, Bailey and Nolan on the next.

Their smallest regulars are Reinhart 6’1, 195 and Pominville 6’, 190.

There are no Ennis water bugs any more.

The lone surviving kitten just... nah.

Man, you guys are depressing.

Is Botterill really all about luck, or something? I don't want Crisco to be "found money." I want him to be good and Jason knew it all along. That's what Botterill does, no?

I'd thought Botterill was, more than anything, a smart game-theory-ish asset-manager. I'm sure he can do some talent evaluation, but I think he's more an exec who's going to figure out how various pieces fit together, this season and beyond.

And though the news was rather sad, I just had to laugh 

Nice.

The Sabres actually have a group of forwards that is relatively big, or at least hard on the puck:

Kane, Eichel, O’Reilly, Okposo on their first tier

Pouliot, Larsson, Girgensons, Baptiste, Bailey and Nolan on the next.

Their smallest regulars are Reinhart 6’1, 195 and Pominville 6’, 190.

There are no Ennis water bugs any more.

Yet, the NHL continues to change toward speed and skill and less about size.  Sure, all other things being equal, some size would be nice, but it isn't as big of a deal now as it even was a couple years ago.

Look at the top 5 players in scoring right now:

Stamkos...listed at 6'1 and 190

Kucherov...listed at 178 lbs..looks less than that.

Gaudreau...5'9 and in the 150's...probably smaller than Ennis

Jaden Schwartz....5'10 and 190.

Brayden Schenn...first guy on the list listed at 200..and barely that..exactly 200

Skill and speed is where it is at in the NHL now.

It's more realistically like JBot rolled the dice on a half dozen guys hoping one or two of them would stick. So far the results are not good. Only Pouliot seems to have been a good signing.

He was the only forward they signed with any real NHL duty prior to here

Edited by inkman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.