Jbot Do Something Already Part 2

GASabresIUFAN

I think there is some revisionist history going on here. Every thread last year, every thread, was a Bylsma bash.

I'll contend that that 5-6 points was made up for by his "conservative" system giving us some games we wouldn't have had given that roster. See, this tango is fun.

And our AHL defense right now has me holding off on truly judging Phil.

Although,... Jack and Evander still taking up the same ice has me wondering.

no coach can win with the last 6 on offense.  They are AHL quality.

No, you did not. You got treated like a red-headed pokey for saying the roster was the only problem and/or it was impossible to judge Bylsma with that roster. Not an insignificant difference there.

Actually it was I whom said we can’t fully judge DD’s system because he didn’t have a NHL roster to coach. I stand by that opinion and this year’s failure has proven me correct. We simply don’t have enough talent to compete.

I just have to laugh at this. I got treated like a red headed Pokey last year for saying this exact thing.

I still don't understand how Bylsma protected them. Was it by coaching a brand of hockey so out of touch that we let the other team have the puck so we could set up our team defense? Y'know, ingraining bad on-ice habits that Housley is going to be de-programming all season long?

(That's right, I can STILL blame the team being bad on Bylsma)

My posts deleted, warnings issued for nothing, duly noted. Enjoy your "space".

Where? What? Don’t leave Pokey. Swamp and I need additional allies against the DD system is to blame crowd.

Athough I think we have won the roster is really to blame argument in the end.

Now the question is what can Jbot do at this point besides playing out the string?

1) callups should be limited. Roch is winning and the few prospects we have there would be better served playing on a winning team and get some playoff experience.

2) Should we look for more waiver “finds” like Nolan? We only have space for 5 extra contracts. It probably couldn’t hurt if a D gets waived to claim him.

3) trades: obviously a team as bad as ours will be making a deadline deal or two. However, can Jbot find an actual enhancement before then? Should he try? I’d love to see a hockey trade or two to shake up this locker room. Can he find a Drury for this team?

4) Waiving certain players. I have long stated the Gorges and Moulson should be waived. Nothing I’ve seen this season has changed that opinion.

Here is a makeover worth reading. https://www.diebytheblade.com/2017/11/14/16650246/gm-for-a-day-extreme-make-over-edition

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

• 2 weeks later...

Last night’s loss to TB has to be a last straw of sorts. Jbot needs to do something to send a messsge to this team that their play is unacceptable. Not lineup changes or sending a marginal player down, but a real move. What that move is, I have no idea. It may mean trading Reinhart for a young D. It may mean moving Kane. Not sure what to do, but he can no longer sit on his hands

Last night’s loss to TB has to be a last straw of sorts. Jbot needs to do something to send a messsge to this team that their play is unacceptable. Not lineup changes or sending a marginal player down, but a real move. What that move is, I have no idea. It may mean trading Reinhart for a young D. It may mean moving Kane. Not sure what to do, but he can no longer sit on his hands

To be honest, I thought they played reasonably well last night. Long stretches of pressure, shots, and some hitting. I don't disagree that it's close to the point of needed to send a message, but this isn't the game to do it. The next stinker, however...

To be honest, I thought they played reasonably well last night. Long stretches of pressure, shots, and some hitting. I don't disagree that it's close to the point of needed to send a message, but this isn't the game to do it. The next stinker, however...

The message this year is that the Sabres season is an 82 game training camp to shape the players that were rushed up to the NHL into the players JBot and Housley want them to be.  Jack is playing a two-way game, Reino is playing more physical.  Risto's defensive stats are improving.  The gaps in their development are being addressed.  There will be no shake up, there will be no infusion from Rochester.  There is only working on getting better individually this year.  Next year we'll see the infusion from Rochester and a greater emphasis on team competitiveness.

That's why you're not seeing messages sent and changes made:  the strategy for this season is to focus on individual development at the NHL level, and developing a winning group at the AHL level, and merging the best of both next season.

And I'm okay with that.

They did play a pretty good game last night.  They couldn't get an ugly goal although they came close; the two goals against were on deflections.  The first you could say that Larsson should have let Lehner make the save, but on the second Scandella was doing precisely what he's supposed to do:  Clearing Stamkos from the net front.... and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm honestly not that worried about the Sabres.  They're playing a more disciplined game lately.  They're not getting the wins, but they are playing better. 

I agree with you. Overall they played ok, it was boring but really the game wasn't a disaster against the best team in the league.

The big difference to me is that they (The lightning) were able to get their point shots through, while Sabres Dmen just aren't able to find a way to find the lane, especially when there is a crowd in front of the net. 

I actually thought the Eichel, Rienhart and Kane line was very good. Im surprised that they are being broken up once again.

For all the complaints about Eichel, (as Doohickie pointed out) he is actually playing a strong 2way game. A back-check vs Stamkos comes immediately to mind.

The BIG problem right now is the PP, if they can figure that out, they should win a few here and there.

I can handle another bottom dwelling season with Rochester playing so well and being driven by young prospects. If I had access to Rochester games, I would actually start watching them over the Sabres.

The message this year is that the Sabres season is an 82 game training camp to shape the players that were rushed up to the NHL into the players JBot and Housley want them to be.  Jack is playing a two-way game, Reino is playing more physical.  Risto's defensive stats are improving.  The gaps in their development are being addressed.  There will be no shake up, there will be no infusion from Rochester.  There is only working on getting better individually this year.  Next year we'll see the infusion from Rochester and a greater emphasis on team competitiveness.

That's why you're not seeing messages sent and changes made:  the strategy for this season is to focus on individual development at the NHL level, and developing a winning group at the AHL level, and merging the best of both next season.

And I'm okay with that.

They did play a pretty good game last night.  They couldn't get an ugly goal although they came close; the two goals against were on deflections.  The first you could say that Larsson should have let Lehner make the save, but on the second Scandella was doing precisely what he's supposed to do:  Clearing Stamkos from the net front.... and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm honestly not that worried about the Sabres.  They're playing a more disciplined game lately.  They're not getting the wins, but they are playing better.

I'm worried. Jack's two way game hasn't seemed to impress me as it has you. The only real scorer at this stage seems to be Kane. Given we can't win with Kane playing at his current level seems to reinforce the argument to trade him for more assets. This team overall seems lacking in all areas. Our goaltending is at this point a strong area compared to the rest of the team. We also have some pretty hefty long term contracts that are not producing.

Where? What? Don’t leave Pokey. Swamp and I need additional allies against the DD system is to blame crowd.

Athough I think we have won the roster is really to blame argument in the end.

Now the question is what can Jbot do at this point besides playing out the string?

1) callups should be limited. Roch is winning and the few prospects we have there would be better served playing on a winning team and get some playoff experience.

2) Should we look for more waiver “finds” like Nolan? We only have space for 5 extra contracts. It probably couldn’t hurt if a D gets waived to claim him.

3) trades: obviously a team as bad as ours will be making a deadline deal or two. However, can Jbot find an actual enhancement before then? Should he try? I’d love to see a hockey trade or two to shake up this locker room. Can he find a Drury for this team?

4) Waiving certain players. I have long stated the Gorges and Moulson should be waived. Nothing I’ve seen this season has changed that opinion.

Here is a makeover worth reading. https://www.diebytheblade.com/2017/11/14/16650246/gm-for-a-day-extreme-make-over-edition

Gorges at least expires, Moulson while completely useless is on the books for next season.  Then there's the tire fire that is becoming Okposo. 

Gorges at least expires, Moulson while completely useless is on the books for next season.  Then there's the tire fire that is becoming Okposo. 

I want you to look up Okposo's points and assist by box score, then actually watch him in games right now and then come back and make this argument. 

Both Okposo’s play and production have been much closer to his traditional norms over the past few weeks.

7 points in his last 10 games. 57 point pace for a season.

If someone said we could have this current KO production over the duration of his contract, I take it and run.

In Jbot's interview today, he makes it abundantly clear in the answer to his first question that it's an evaluation season for him. He talks about figuring out which players "want" to improve. It seems as though he's giving everyone a chance, but taking a real serious look at both the play and character of every one of these guys, and he'll move on from those that don't fit the bill.

There will likely be big changes to the roster. Just not sure when they'll start.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/jason-botterill-sabres-amerks-evander-kane/c-293519042

Edited by Thorny

In Jbot's interview today, he makes it abundantly clear in the answer to his first question that it's an evaluation season for him. He talks about figuring out which players "want" to improve. It seems as though he's giving everyone a chance, but taking a real serious look at both the play and character of every one of these guys, and he'll move on from those that don't fit the bill.

There will likely be big changes to the roster. Just not sure when they'll start.https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/jason-botterill-sabres-amerks-evander-kane/c-293519042

See, here’s why all the “what’s wrong?” and “how can we fix it?” talk is misplaced.

The process is already started; people are talking about firing scouts and changing culture like there hasnt been sweeping changes in the hockey department. More than 2/3s of the hockey department is different than it was at this time last year.

That will lead to changes in the roster, but not before our methodical GM does his due diligence.

I have no idea if the Botterill method will be any more effective than the Leino/Ehrhoff method, or the tank and trade method.

But you don’t turn an aircraft carrier around on a dime.

the fan base has had it. The Sabres still think the key center will be filled and expects the support to be there always

It may not be filled but the majority of the seats are still sold so the team is still getting paid. Until the waiting list for season tickets evaporates and all the amateur scalpers who buy tickets for games they don't even plan to attend get fed up with losing money and stop assuming the revenue risk on behalf of the team the only financial pain is felt by the beer and snack vendors and whomever runs the parking.

I have been desperate for weeks for Jbot to do something, anything, to improve this team.

Now I realize there isn’t much he can do.

Callups won’t help. There are no real star forwards down on the farm, unless Nylander figures it out soon. Even then, he is probably better off away from this team. Guhle also.

Hockey Trades won’t help either. In order to get you must give. We haven’t scored in three games with Jack, Kane, Sam, RoR and KO. How will we do without one of them? Who else do we have that will garner top talent back?

Player for picks and prospects deals won’t really help either. In theory we could improve this year with the right deal, but is it worth it to further sacrifice the future to try to get this beached ship back on the water? We aren’t good enough to make the playoffs even with a couple of additions. We need our prospects and picks if we are ever going to replace the dead weight on this roster.

At this point there are only two things left for Jbot to do.

1) sell players like Kane for the best package of players, picks and prospects you can get to bolster Roch and our pipeline.

2) Use our cap space to acquire a bad expiring contract or two from contenders for a “fee” (near ready prospect?) to help them clear some cap space for the deadline.

In my 47 years of watching Sabres hockey, I have never been as disheartened as I am right now.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I have been desperate for weeks for Jbot to do something, anything, to improve this team.

Now I realize there isn’t much he can do.

Callups won’t help. There are no real star forwards down on the farm, unless Nylander figures it out soon. Even then, he is probably better off away from this team. Guhle also.

Hockey Trades won’t help either. In order to get you must give. We haven’t scored in three games with Jack, Kane, Sam, RoR and KO. How will we do without one of them? Who else do we have that will garner top talent back?

Player for picks and prospects deals won’t really help either. In theory we could improve this year with the right deal, but is it worth it to further sacrifice the future to try to get this beached ship back on the water? We aren’t good enough to make the playoffs even with a couple of additions. We need our prospects and picks if we are ever going to replace the dead weight on this roster.

At this point there are only two things left for Jbot to do.

1) sell players like Kane for the best package of players, picks and prospects you can get to bolster Roch and our pipeline.

2) Use our cap space to acquire a bad expiring contract or two from contenders for a “fee” (near ready prospect?) to help them clear some cap space for the deadline.

In my 47 years of watching Sabres hockey, I have never been as disheartened as I am right now.

Same here. Been fan since team inception and this is how I feel. Truthfully Kane may be one of a couple moves possible. We have a lot tied up in contracts that are probably not tradeable. At my age I'm resigned to probably not seeing championship hockey here but at least give me entertaining and competitive games to watch.

the fan base has had it. The Sabres still think the key center will be filled and expects the support to be there always

Imagine what it would be like if the Bills actually beat the Pats this week.  I don't expect that to happen, but if they did so much focus would be off the Sabres and on the Bills.probably more than ever.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.