Jbot Do Something Already Part 2

GASabresIUFAN

It's hard to see the evidence in the standings, but early returns for JBot's summer are quite good.

Pominville is an upgrade on Gionta

Scandella a huge upgrade on Kulikov

We miss Foligno's toughness, IMO, but Pouliot has been more effective, at least after his slow start.

Griffith has been equally as ineffective as Ennis at a much cheaper price.

As cumbersome as Nolan is, he's better than Deslauriers

Mittelstadt is looking like he was the right pick.

And all the depth defencemen have come in handy.

Nilsson was better than Johnson has been; same for Franson and Beaulieu

But not too bad so far.

I'm starting to think there is a purposeful attempt to have a new forward on each of the forward lines to help break the bad habits of the players that have been around a while.Their old systems were left behind with their old teams; they only know the new system Housley is trying to instill.  All of them (except Griffith) are kind of senior, experienced vets who've seen some level of success in their careers.  They keep their linemates honest.  Each of them (except Griffith) have the best +/- on their line.  Not sure if that's significant, but it is what it is.

I don't know if he set us further back per se, but he didn't use the assets (picks and prospects) at his disposal to the greatest advantage.  Darcy was stingy with assets, carefully not overpaying for players and getting everything he could for players he was moving.  The problem with that was that players who might have helped the team got away.  XGMTM was the opposite:  He saw a shiny object and gladly overpaid for it if the thought the team needed it.  So he got some good players (Kane, O'Reilly, arguably Lehner) but he paid too much for them and now our prospect pool is thin.

I think JBot's strategy is building the prospect pool back up, but in a kind of backwards way:  He's brought in veterans and journeymen to fill the holes at the NHL level so that the prospects don't have to come up right away and can properly develop (and perhaps in one or two cases, overdevelop) in Rochester.  Leaving them in A longer *should* mean that they will have success (currently 6-4-1), build confidence, mature as individuals and hopefully learn a system similar to what they will play with the Sabres.

Meanwhile, it's the job of the veterans and journeymen to help Housley roll the system out with the Sabres, so that when the prospects come up they don't feel pressured to carry the team and make big contributions (if they do, great, but the idea is to not put too much pressure on them).

So a well-established system + mature prospects = enduring success; at least that's the plan I think.  You can't simply reset the damage XGMTM did by trading too many prospects/picks away overnight.  But does that mean he "set us back"?  I don't know.  Would we be further back if he hadn't traded for Kane, ROR, etc.?  Hard to say.

Yeah not even close. Getting OEL is probably Risto + Reinhart + 

No way you don't have to include Risto.  Risto is signed to a good AAV contract while OEL becomes a free agent after 18/19 year. 

Imagine a top five D  of Risto, OEL, Scandella, Bogo, and McCabe!!! And all five salaries are only 21.6 mil for next year. Add Guhle to the mix and I think that is a solid D.

I'd even make the pick a conditional pick and make it a first rounder in 2019 if OEL signs an extension and give them Tennyson.

No way you don't have to include Risto.  Risto is signed to a good AAV contract while OEL becomes a free agent after 18/19 year. 

Imagine a top five D  of Risto, OEL, Scandella, Bogo, and McCabe!!! And all five salaries are only 21.6 mil for next year. Add Guhle to the mix and I think that is a solid D.

I'd even make the pick a conditional pick and make it a first rounder in 2019 if OEL signs an extension and give them Tennyson.

Dude.

So he's a top 5 defender in the league signed until 2019 in his prime at $5.5M? That's a steal :lol:

OEL is on the cusp of elite, innit? 20Gs from back there before too. 

We wouldn't have to include Risto because Risto isn't too good of a defenseman. 

We would have to use Eichel and have them add, or give them Casey, Alex Nylander, ROR, Reinhart, our unprotected first, pick some combo of 2-4 of those things depending on which ones you take. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

OEL is on the cusp of elite, innit? 20Gs from back there before too. 

We wouldn't have to include Risto because Risto isn't too good of a defenseman. 

We would have to use Eichel and have them add, or give them Casey, Alex Nylander, ROR, Reinhart, our unprotected first, pick some combo of 2-4 of those things depending on which ones you take. 

Not gonna lie, it took until "unprotected first" until I got the joke

No way you don't have to include Risto. Risto is signed to a good AAV contract while OEL becomes a free agent after 18/19 year.

Imagine a top five D of Risto, OEL, Scandella, Bogo, and McCabe!!! And all five salaries are only 21.6 mil for next year. Add Guhle to the mix and I think that is a solid D.

If we have a Top 10 pick, we may be able to fetch OEL with that plus Reinhart and Borgen but that's as cheap as I think it can get.

If we have a Top 10 pick, we may be able to fetch OEL with that plus Reinhart and Borgen but that's as cheap as I think it can get.

A top 2 pick maybe, but if it's like 8 again, why in the world would they move OEL for Reinhart, an Alex Nylander type, and a nothing?

Not gonna lie, it took until "unprotected first" until I got the joke

You found a joke that I didn't mean to be in there then haha.

So considering Arizona is going nowhere over the next couple of years and OEL can leave for nothing as a UFA if the return is good enough then I think Arizona GM listens.

I'd be willing to give up Reinhart (#2 overall pick), Nylander, Larsson, Moulson, (Fedun or Tennyson), and conditional pick for OEL and Perlini.

So considering Arizona is going nowhere over the next couple of years and OEL can leave for nothing as a UFA if the return is good enough then I think Arizona GM listens.

I'd be willing to give up Reinhart (#2 overall pick), Nylander, Larsson, Moulson, (Fedun or Tennyson), and conditional pick for OEL and Perlini.

Zona reads that as 

45 point winger who is pacing for like 30 points this year, injured bust, nobody, contract albatross, AHL D depth, and a pick for a top defenseman in the NHL and a piece that would be the third-most valuable in the list on the left. 

Zona reads that as

45 point winger who is pacing for like 30 points this year, injured bust, nobody, contract albatross, AHL D depth, and a pick for a top defenseman in the NHL and a piece that would be the third-most valuable in the list on the left.

Accurate

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.