WTF is wrong with this team?

matter2003

Article by John Vogl in the Buffalo News saying all the same things we heard from the vets who were run out of town after last season.

Nolan is saying that the team isn't playing the system being coached. 

We've just got to commit to the right style," right wing Jordan Nolan said. "We didn't have it the other night. We were a little better tonight, but if you're going back and forth between playing the right way and not, you're not going to win a lot of hockey games.

Two coaches, two GM's, same players, same issue.  Won't play "the right way".

Where is that trademark?

Edited by We've

Just a thought...

So at the trade deadline, we trade players to a team that believes, said player, will help with a cup run... All teams do it. So basically, you're taking a player out of his "system" and thwarting then into a new "system" on a team that is about to enter the gauntlet, and they pay handsomely for this as well.

I think that alone kinda of defies the system logic. These guys play hockey from grade school, there are only so many things you can do with a 5 man unit and the ice square footage. I don't think it's the system.

You add this in with the same complaints and quotes from last year, even with some new players, and here we are. We are a lazy lazy team, we don't want to hit or be hit, we don't cycle, we have zero idea what possession is. It's on the players, the big guns.... I'm looking mostly at jack here.

I give jbot this year and off season and housley next year, if we ship the black holes out and next year we take a step forward then yay.... A proper rebuild. But if there aren't many changes at the end of the season, I fear I may take next year off (I sat this but it won't happen)

It's sad, I used to love watching the games, now, it's on in the background, I missed all the goals last night while I had it streaming on my phone, I didn't even go back to see the goals.

Thank you sabres

Just a thought...

So at the trade deadline, we trade players to a team that believes, said player, will help with a cup run... All teams do it. So basically, you're taking a player out of his "system" and thwarting then into a new "system" on a team that is about to enter the gauntlet, and they pay handsomely for this as well.

I think that alone kinda of defies the system logic. These guys play hockey from grade school, there are only so many things you can do with a 5 man unit and the ice square footage. I don't think it's the system.

You add this in with the same complaints and quotes from last year, even with some new players, and here we are. We are a lazy lazy team, we don't want to hit or be hit, we don't cycle, we have zero idea what possession is. It's on the players, the big guns.... I'm looking mostly at jack here.

I give jbot this year and off season and housley next year, if we ship the black holes out and next year we take a step forward then yay.... A proper rebuild. But if there aren't many changes at the end of the season, I fear I may take next year off (I sat this but it won't happen)

It's sad, I used to love watching the games, now, it's on in the background, I missed all the goals last night while I had it streaming on my phone, I didn't even go back to see the goals.

Thank you sabres

Yeah I'm there with you.

The article in today's snooze with the comments from returning players Foligno and Ennis is confirming what we are seeing. A lazy uninspired form of hockey. Its not accepted on other teams but in B'lo its the culture.  

What happened to the bag skates when they don't get it right in prqactice. I want the Herb Brooks coaching mentality unleashed on these jack wagons so bad. If you won't follow the plan in a game, make them do it practice till they puke.

Then at least they'll have an excuse for looking so lethargic and uninspired on game days 

Yeah I'm there with you.

The article in today's snooze with the comments from returning players Foligno and Ennis is confirming what we are seeing. A lazy uninspired form of hockey. Its not accepted on other teams but in B'lo its the culture.  

What happened to the bag skates when they don't get it right in prqactice. I want the Herb Brooks coaching mentality unleashed on these jack wagons so bad. If you won't follow the plan in a game, make them do it practice till they puke.

Then at least they'll have an excuse for looking so lethargic and uninspired on game days

What I have been saying since beginning of season. Starting with Jack.

I think the Sabres management needs to stop chasing free agents and focus on development from within. They need to up their scouting and start drafting quality prospects. Let them develop in the AHL and stop rushing kids into the NHL. This is not good news for us fans. While these guys develop in ROC we're left with terrible hockey in Buffalo. I don't see a way around this. There clearly is no such thing as a short cut to NHL relevance now that the previous GM shipped out every prospect with value. I would start by moving Kane and KO for picks and quality prospects. This year is over start building for 2020.

I think the Sabres management needs to stop chasing free agents and focus on development from within. They need to up their scouting and start drafting quality prospects. Let them develop in the AHL and stop rushing kids into the NHL. This is not good news for us fans. While these guys develop in ROC we're left with terrible hockey in Buffalo. I don't see a way around this. There clearly is no such thing as a short cut to NHL relevance now that the previous GM shipped out every prospect with value. I would start by moving Kane and KO for picks and quality prospects. This year is over start building for 2020.

I swear it's eternally three years away for some people.

No one signed this year was done so thinking they would be an impact player. They were all just filler material. All those prospects GMTM shipped out have amounted to a pile a crap. I applaud the effort trying to get good young players. I don't think Kane or O'Reilly (I'm starting to have some doubts about him) are the problem.

I think it is a mistake to be constantly chasing youth. The Pens did it right for Sid. They surrounded him with vets that were among the leagues best in their day, guys that demanded respect even in the twilight of their careers. Sid learned right from day 1 from some of the most respected playets in the league. There was no quitting on a game or on a season allowed. Jack had had noone to demand more of him and it is showing. Bringing in another year of rooks is only going to result in more rooks learning what Jack is doing.

Edited by We've

I think it is a mistake to be constantly chasing youth. The Pens did it right for Sid. They surrounded him with vets that were among the leagues best in their day, guys that demanded respect even in the twilight of their careers. Sid learned right from day 1 from some of the most respected playets in the league. There was no quitting on a game or on a season allowed. Jack had had noone to demand more of him and it is showing. Bringing in another year of rooks is only going to result in more rooks learning what Jack is doing.

I think this is fair. Crosby had Lemieux, Gonchar, Recchi, LeClair, Odelein, Palffy.

Eichel had Gionta, Moulson, Legwand.

Yuck.

I agree. The problem is, where do we find good vets willing to part with their teams? We haven't got anything from the last near decade worth bringing back where nostalgia would be a draw. You get someone spotty with injuries like Jagr (who'll play until he's literally a re-animated pile of flesh and bones in hockey skates) who has real passion or you get someone who was never that good, despite a fun personality (oh Ott, great guy, not what you need as a leader on an NHL team...). Oh gee, bring back Vanek and we've got him and Pommers, what a help. 

I think Okposo was supposed to be part of that veteran force, but then he fell ill. I don't know. 

The BN interview with Marcus Foligno and Tyler Ennis this morning is pretty damning. 

"Bruce doesn't accept losing and that's the bottom line here,"

"He's learning in a hurry that losing is really not accepted," Boudreau said. "You can't make positive things out of losing. ...The sacrifices you have to make, whether in practices or the game, are probably something him and Tyler haven't been used to recently."

"It's a different culture for sure, a great culture to be around," said Ennis, who has had no issues from the concussions that dogged him the last two years. "It's hard but it's fun."

The BN interview with Marcus Foligno and Tyler Ennis this morning is pretty damning. 

"Bruce doesn't accept losing and that's the bottom line here,"

"He's learning in a hurry that losing is really not accepted," Boudreau said. "You can't make positive things out of losing. ...The sacrifices you have to make, whether in practices or the game, are probably something him and Tyler haven't been used to recently."

"It's a different culture for sure, a great culture to be around," said Ennis, who has had no issues from the concussions that dogged him the last two years. "It's hard but it's fun."

Like I've said from day one, change the culture or give up hope. 

Of course Marcus and Ennis would say that. They just played for Starts Gorges in 3-on-3 Bylsma for 2 years. Of course playing to lose has become ingrained. In order to play real hockey in the NHL you need to have the expectation of winning posession. The fact that the Sabres aren't doing that is not a reflection of their character. They're not ruined. They've been playing counter-intuitive hockey for 2 seasons straight.

The fact that we've been rocked by injuries and that our new coach is struggling is not helping.

I get so sick of hearing hot takes about the hypothetical personalities of the players. I'm sick of hearing about money that Jack hasn't even seen yet. And I've heard enough about rotten cores for my lifetime. The rotten core was rotten because Darcy sat on his hands and accepted a team with Vanek and Pommers as the best forwards for years. Not because those guys didn't have the character and spirit in them to win.

It's all a bunch of Because Buffalo BS. The Sabres have a lot of growing to do this year, but I still believe the talent for a contender is mostly assembled. The team will find it's confidence and rip off a couple of win streaks in the second half of the season, I have no doubt in my mind.

It sucks that we're not gonna make the playoffs yet again but it is what it is.

Of course Marcus and Ennis would say that. They just played for Starts Gorges in 3-on-3 Bylsma for 2 years. Of course playing to lose has become ingrained. In order to play real hockey in the NHL you need to have the expectation of winning posession. The fact that the Sabres aren't doing that is not a reflection of their character. They're not ruined. They've been playing counter-intuitive hockey for 2 seasons straight.

The fact that we've been rocked by injuries and that our new coach is struggling is not helping.

I get so sick of hearing hot takes about the hypothetical personalities of the players. I'm sick of hearing about money that Jack hasn't even seen yet. And I've heard enough about rotten cores for my lifetime. The rotten core was rotten because Darcy sat on his hands and accepted a team with Vanek and Pommers as the best forwards for years. Not because those guys didn't have the character and spirit in them to win.

It's all a bunch of Because Buffalo BS. The Sabres have a lot of growing to do this year, but I still believe the talent for a contender is mostly assembled. The team will find it's confidence and rip off a couple of win streaks in the second half of the season, I have no doubt in my mind.

It sucks that we're not gonna make the playoffs yet again but it is what it is.

Good post until the end. The talent just isn’t here. You can’t field a team with our bottom six and a D comprised on 4/6 AHL players and have a shot at winning.

Go compare the current roster to 2005/6. Vanek, Roy, Afinogenov was our 3rd line and we had Chris Drury.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.