WTF is wrong with this team?

matter2003

I agree he needs to show patience. But I still don't think they should trade Kane.

Im honestly not really sure what constitutes patience as far as Kane is concerned.

I want him on the team, but not at any cost.

It’s a pure cap valuation asset decision dictated by the realities of his contract situation.

Im honestly not really sure what constitutes patience as far as Kane is concerned.

I want him on the team, but not at any cost.

It’s a pure cap valuation asset decision dictated by the realities of his contract situation.

His injury history should factor into this decision, he's missed 12-45 games every year in the last five seasons.

JBot should have an idea of what it takes to sign him and if it's too much trade him before he gets hurt.

Worst case scenario is him getting hurt at the deadline and he tests the UFA market.

Pouliot with more goals than Jack.

There is a good part of what is wrong with this team.

I disagree with this. Eichel has set up all or close to all of Kane's goals and most of Pommer's too. Without Eichel we wouldn't be scoring at all. 

Pouliot is showing me that he is a fit for the system, so this also tells me JBot has a vision in line with Housley and he knows what he is doing, he just can't change it all overnight. 

Pouliots play in the last 7 games has been excellent.  If he keeps this up he is going to have a whale of a season and his fit with the system, Jbot might just give him an extension.

Pouliot and Pommer are the perfect veteran leadership for this club.  They aren't the future leaders and don't even warrant As on their sweaters, but they've been pretty good, they've been around, they've seen different teams, different coaches, different systems.  They're more suited to learning Housley's system than the longer tenured Sabres who haven't known anything but crap coaching and systems for several years running.  They will turn out to be the duo that leads the team out of the doldrums.  They don't have long term futures with the team, but right now they are worth every penny we're paying them.

I'm not half as optimistic about the next wave as you are. Ullmark is inconsistent enough to be a real question mark. Guhle... I'll give you that one. Mittlestsad, we are exhibiting the same irrational exhuberance we did for Reinhart. Let's see how it goes. Nylander has shown exaclty zero so far to indicate he is part of the solution. And Bailey, Baptiste, Smith and Malone might, just might, produce one good bottom sixer for a good team.

Ullmark is a victim of a mediocre defense in Rochester. He has played pretty well, but I’ll admit he hasn’t been consistent, but the talent is definitely there. Bailey has already proven he can play in the NHL, if just one more of Baptiste, Fasching, Smith or Malone become bottom 6 depth, we are vastly better for it. Mittelstud has the one thing Sam doesn’t - speed. Nylander is a wait and see, but to deny the talent based one AHL season as the youngest player in the league is unfair and premature. He may not end up being part of the solution, but I think you’ll be surrpised if we can get him healthy.

Good post.

It's just tough to get excited about the likelihood of those up-and-comers you listed having the ability to jumpstart a resurgence. As you said, they've fooled us before.

What are your thoughts on ROR? Do you expect his contract to be burdensome by the time we are competing? Okposo's will be a burden almost certainly. How do we expect to compete when we are currently in a seemingly unending cycle of debilitating contracts? A ground up refresh like the scenario you outlined seems doomed to fail with those potential troubles on the horizon.

If we are yet again planning for the future, to my mind we should be shedding the RORs, Okposos, and Kanes.

The kids will lead a resurgence. It may not reach the heights we had hoped, but we will be competitive. I say this because, we will finally be building the team properly, with internal prospects and not based on others talent.

As to ROR, I think he’ll be a solid player well into his 30’s but his contract is already a burden. The nice thing is that if we develop other centers we can move him to LW. He is only 26, and therefore, I think we can get at least 5 more years out of him at or near this level.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Ullmark is a victim of a mediocre defense in Rochester. He has played pretty well, but I’ll admit he hasn’t been consistent, but the talent is definitely there. Bailey has already proven he can play in the NHL, if just one more of Baptiste, Fasching, Smith or Malone become bottom 6 depth, we are vastly better for it. Mittelstud has the one thing Sam doesn’t - speed. Nylander is a wait and see, but to deny the talent based one AHL season as the youngest player in the league is unfair and premature. He may not end up being part of the solution, but I think you’ll be surrpised if we can get him healthy.

The kids will lead a resurgence. It may not reach the heights we had hoped, but we will be competitive. I say this because, we will finally be building the team properly, with internal prospects and not based on others talent.

As to ROR, I think he’ll be a solid player well into his 30’s but his contract is already a burden. The nice thing is that if we develop other centers we can move him to LW. He is only 26, and therefore, I think we can get at least 5 more years out of him at or near this level.

+1, great post!

The Sabres have five D out with injury - five!

That means the top pair in Rochester are 13th on the depth chart.

Who else went down?

I, who have hammered this team for two years about the lack of D depth, will agree that no franchise is 13 D deep.  None.  With at least 4 AHL D in Buffalo, that goes along way to explaining both teams (Roch and Buf) struggles. 

+1, great post!

:)

Who else went down?

I, who have hammered this team for two years about the lack of D depth, will agree that no franchise is 13 D deep.  None.  With at least 4 AHL D in Buffalo, that goes along way to explaining both teams (Roch and Buf) struggles. 

Risto, Bogo, Beaulieu, Gorges and Tennyson.

Meh, risto, ok

Bowl-you.... Has been bad, turnover machine

Bogo-away, always hurt

Gorges - slow

Tennyson-improvement that he's hurt

So yes we're injured, but it's not like the upgrade there is a huge leap

It’s not the caliber of the players so much as the sheer number.

This conversation started in the context of Rochester.

I actually thought he played a decent game last night. He's always had hands of stone, but I thought he played a lot tougher on the boards than he has up to this point. Hope he is still on the mend.

I didn't see the game last night but think about his scouting report on tsn. Buffalo definitely bribed this guy to be here for 7 years...and last year's injury is the latest in a long list, including detached retina and who knows what else because of the secrets of last spring/summer...

TSN SCOUTING REPORT:

Assets Has terrific scoring ability and the mentality of a sniper. Can play a big man's game when necessary and owns an excellent skating stride. Possesses a lethal shot and a pretty good nose for the net. Flaws Doesn't know how good he can be, which can be frustrating for his coaches. Tends to wear down over the course of an 82-game schedule, so durability is a concern. His defensive game is only average. Career potential Inconsistent, talented scoring winger.

Edited by Marvelo

Paging NS to his birthday thread!

MODO happy Bday!!! I hope you're recovering from a hangover my man

How did I miss this?  Maybe it isn't on his profile and he just mentioned it somewhere ... my guess is in the GDT, which I have not read.

NS to the batmobile, eh, I mean the awesome thread ...

Who else went down?

All the more reason we need to somehow, someway get out of the Bogo burden.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.