WTF is wrong with this team?

matter2003

It's not panic, it's a reality check.

We discussed before the season how dreadful of the bottom 2 forward lines looked.  Are we really surprised then that they have yet to contribute a thing?  Then there is ROR and KO.  If I expected any two players to step up to start a season with the right effort and attitude it was them.  What have they done 1 assist (ROR on a SHG) and -9 in 3 games.  Sam is also at goose eggs with -6.  

Maybe it will get better.  Maybe they'll bond on the left coast.  Maybe they'll actually start playing competitive and entertaining hockey.  Maybe!

One thing is clear to me already however, the new roster, while it had a ten player turnover is really not any better (or capable) then the old roster.  It's just a little cheaper.  Seriously, most of the turnover isn't from elite players.  Scandella is the only top two pairing/top 6 player and true upgrade.  The rest are bottom 6 forwards or bottom pairing or worse depth players.  Pommers should be a 3rd line forward and is Gionta's more expensive replacement.  Pouliot at best is a 3rd line forward (we aren't getting the best). Tennyson, Griffith and Josefson are AAAA players and should never make a competitive roster except as an injury replacement.  Antipin is a rookie learning a new language and playing in a new league.  Baloo is a bottom pairing D with serious in zone issues. Johnson is a career backup goalie.  Nolan is a 4th line grinder.  The hope was (is?) that someone from this group (Griffith, Antipin, and Baloo mostly) and maybe one of Girgensons or Larsson would step up a make a bigger impact then their slot on the roster.  Hasn't happened yet and probably won't.

I think we need to reshape our expectations.  This emperor again has no clothes.  Let' just hope for competitive games from here on out.  If we get to 80 points great as long as we see improvement over the season.  Maybe the upgrades needed to field a competitive are coming starting next year with Guhle and Ullmark.    Hard to write this with 79 games to go, but what I've seen that 1st 3 games is a team without enough talent again.    

Great post. I will admit to watching the first game and having no clue who Tennyson, Griffith or Josefson were or where they came from. I tried to fit their presence into my narrative of this season, that it was about winning, that these guys heroically outplayed the kids who are in Rochester. Maybe that narrative is going to lose out to the one that was always in the back of my mind, that Botterill has (another) rebuild in mind, and a big part of the future he envisions is in Rochester because, well, shouldn't we think of the children?

Great post. I will admit to watching the first game and having no clue who Tennyson, Griffith or Josefson were or where they came from. I tried to fit their presence into my narrative of this season, that it was about winning, that these guys heroically outplayed the kids who are in Rochester. Maybe that narrative is going to lose out to the one that was always in the back of my mind, that Botterill has (another) rebuild in mind, and a big part of the future he envisions is in Rochester because, well, shouldn't we think of the children?

He said that up front- that you build a winning team starting at the AHL level.  That doesn't mean that the NHL product has to suck though.

Doesn't O'Reilly have a kid coming soon? Didn't Drury play like this when his first child was on the way early in his career here? Maybe it's off-ice stuff like that.

That's a good point. When Miller got that Hollywood girlfriend or whatever his play went down. I also remember the Russian players back in the 1990's slumped after getting more assimilated to western society, they could no longer just bury themselves in hockey but also had lives away from the game

That's a good point. When Miller got that Hollywood girlfriend or whatever his play went down. I also remember the Russian players back in the 1990's slumped after getting more assimilated to western society, they could no longer just bury themselves in hockey but also had lives away from the game

That's not true. And also that's his wife. Edited by qwksndmonster

We should indeed.  XGMTM belligerently did not.  If there's going to be one reason to be glad he's gone in a few years, that'll be it.  

Winners push aside distractions and focus on what's in front of them no matter what. Losers get lost in their heads and make excuses when they hit bumps in the road. This entire team (with the exception of Kane) have a loser mentality. Until Housley makes them truly hate losing instead of accepting it, this team will continue to fall apart after the first mistake.

Who was the power play coach last year? Bring him back now.

The PP coach isn't the issue.  The Sabres are setting up the same PP they did last year.  The problem is their execution of it.

There is an issue and I am hoping that it's guys trying to get on the same page.  Every number will look more exaggerated in a negative way if players are continually out of position.  It's like playing short handed or worse.

They have a few days to focus and to do so while on the road.  No going home and being away from the teammates.  

Housley's system is different and while each player may be individually talented they are not cohesive yet.  If it doesn't show signs of improvement, that's a problem.  But I'm not expecting a huge improvement in the next few weeks... I would like it, I just don't expect it.

It's not panic, it's a reality check.

We discussed before the season how dreadful of the bottom 2 forward lines looked.  Are we really surprised then that they have yet to contribute a thing?  Then there is ROR and KO.  If I expected any two players to step up to start a season with the right effort and attitude it was them.  What have they done 1 assist (ROR on a SHG) and -9 in 3 games.  Sam is also at goose eggs with -6.  

Maybe it will get better.  Maybe they'll bond on the left coast.  Maybe they'll actually start playing competitive and entertaining hockey.  Maybe!

One thing is clear to me already however, the new roster, while it had a ten player turnover is really not any better (or capable) then the old roster.  It's just a little cheaper.  Seriously, most of the turnover isn't from elite players.  Scandella is the only top two pairing/top 6 player and true upgrade.  The rest are bottom 6 forwards or bottom pairing or worse depth players.  Pommers should be a 3rd line forward and is Gionta's more expensive replacement.  Pouliot at best is a 3rd line forward (we aren't getting the best). Tennyson, Griffith and Josefson are AAAA players and should never make a competitive roster except as an injury replacement.  Antipin is a rookie learning a new language and playing in a new league.  Baloo is a bottom pairing D with serious in zone issues. Johnson is a career backup goalie.  Nolan is a 4th line grinder.  The hope was (is?) that someone from this group (Griffith, Antipin, and Baloo mostly) and maybe one of Girgensons or Larsson would step up a make a bigger impact then their slot on the roster.  Hasn't happened yet and probably won't.

I think we need to reshape our expectations.  This emperor again has no clothes.  Let' just hope for competitive games from here on out.  If we get to 80 points great as long as we see improvement over the season.  Maybe the upgrades needed to field a competitive are coming starting next year with Guhle and Ullmark.    Hard to write this with 79 games to go, but what I've seen that 1st 3 games is a team without enough talent again.    

As usual, I agree wholeheartedly with you.  

Just posted this on facebook:

This is the last ounce of energy I will be putting into the Sabres for a while and if this reaches even 1 player or member of the organization, I will be happy.

Dear Buffalo Sabres, if I did not have kids, I would not even care about your total lack of effort and heart displayed on the ice each night. It was difficult enough to explain to my kids that the reason you were so bad for the last 4 years is that you were TRYING to lose for draft picks. It is even harder to explain to them now why the fans boo the players on their own team. Instead of masking the truth in a white lie, I plainly said that this group of players gave up and is doing everything opposite of what I coach to you on the soccer field.

This group is a total disgrace to everyone who follows them and that expects a lot more out of you as athletes and as role models. At least O'Reilly admits to having no clue out there, how about the rest of you? I have said my peace and thanks again for the video footage that I can show my team exactly how not to be.

Not sure your Facebook post will be read or cared about by the organization. Not saying they don't care just they don't feel the fans need to tell them at this point. They, in my mind, are athletes but one thing I tried to encourage my children and now grandchildren is in not having athletes or entertainers as role models. First, they in more cases than not make poor ones and second parents are in best position to be role models for their kids. Good luck getting your message across I am as frustrated as you as a fan right now.

Not sure your Facebook post will be read or cared about by the organization. Not saying they don't care just they don't feel the fans need to tell them at this point. They, in my mind, are athletes but one thing I tried to encourage my children and now grandchildren is in not having athletes or entertainers as role models. First, they in more cases than not make poor ones and second parents are in best position to be role models for their kids. Good luck getting your message across I am as frustrated as you as a fan right now.

I totally agree on the role model part and have told my kids as much. I think there ARE plenty of kids out there who idolize these guys though. So far, I have had an ex Board of Director from the Sabres email me back as well as a VP within Pegula Sports. My frustration is gone after saying what I needed to say so we'll see how they go from here.

To think the Sabres could have beaten Moe-ray-all is delusional?

WTF? Is this Scott's other message board?

Delusional wasn't the right word I guess. However IMO Montreal is a much better team then the NJD.

My point was if you were expecting more then 4pts in the first 10 games,you're probably wearing blue and gold tinted glasses. Realistically I didn't expect much to start the season. I did however expect to see effort!

Our problem lately has been lack of skill. It's a really tough league to add skill,it takes time to add it for a good price (Soughr after free agents often overpaid).

That's a better problem to have, these guys can try harder but they can't double their skill overnight.

We have a coachable problem so I'm all for letting the coach figure it out. And ya, it'll take more then 3 games. Probably more then 15

I totally agree on the role model part and have told my kids as much. I think there ARE plenty of kids out there who idolize these guys though. So far, I have had an ex Board of Director from the Sabres email me back as well as a VP within Pegula Sports. My frustration is gone after saying what I needed to say so we'll see how they go from here.

Wow, you got a response? Can you divulge the general message in their responses?

I'm terrified the brass will panic and force Botterill to fire Housley

I don't think there's any chance of this. Phil will last 2 years, unless we finish DFL, and even then I still think he'd get the full year. 

He has work to do but I have a tough time pinning anything on him this second because it takes so long to see what he's really about as a coach. 

I will say, it seems like our forwards were a lot more supportive in the D zone and early neutral zone against Montreal, but they've been skipping that effort the last two nights. Leaving too early, wanting the offense. You have to do the work with the D before you can have fun with offense. 

Basically it was... stop taking taking the kids until they get this figured out...take your friends instead. Yeah, my friends will LOVE this 3 hour shiit show 

Ha!  That's what I said in the game thread:  They gotta stop doing these Columbus Day games, knowing all the kids will be there, while they still suck!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.