How fine is Sam Reinhart?

dudacek

Reinhart  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be done with Sam Reinhart?

• He's one of our best wingers, let him be that player
    • He's a natural centre, let him be that player
    • His versatility is an asset, move him around as roster needs dictate
    • He's a great trade chip, cash it in
  2. 2. What do you expect this season

• A move back to wing and maybe 50ish points; he is what he is
    • A drop in points because of the lack of talent around him as the 3C
    • A breakout year, he's going to be better regardless of his position
    • Steady improvement at C, until he is effectively a good 2C by seasons end
    • Disappointment; he's not that good and a poor fit for Housley

Lost in the Eichel press conference was this nugget from Jason Botterill: "That's one of the strengths of our organization right now, having the ability of Jack and O'Reilly and Reinhart down the middle."

A far cry from his initial press conference, where he gave the impression that he considered Sam a winger.

Sam Reinhart generally falls into one of three camps on Sabrespace:

1) He's OK, but he's never going to be the top player you hope a 2nd overall pick would be. Trade him for needed pieces before all the other GMs come to the same conclusion.

2) He might become a good centre, but on this team, he's a 3rd line centre. He is also one of our best wingers and his team needs good wingers more than it needs a 3rd line centre. Play him with one of our great centres to maximize his effectiveness and theirs. There is no shame in being a Patrick Sharp.

3) He's fine on the wing, but he's a natural centre. Let him develop there and you could create a situation where our centre depth will create some serious mismatches. He will still play wing on the PP and can always move there late in games when we shorten the bench.

It's a debate that's been going on for two years and it will continue as Housley appears to give option three its first serious trial.

And since it pops up continuously in all kinds of threads, I thought it might be good to centralize the discussion here.

What do you think of the way Sam is being used, and how he has performed?

And how do you see the situation playing itself out throughout the season and beyond?

Edited by dudacek

Very interesting quote from Sam in the Buffalo News:

"One mistake I've made in the past is viewing switching center as a demotion," Reinhart said. "That's not the way to be looking at it at all. This is an opportunity for me to get another line going, get another line on the scoresheet every night playing with some good players. I'm looking at it completely different with a fresh mentality and I'm excited about it."

"One mistake I've made in the past is viewing switching center as a demotion," Reinhart said. "That's not the way to be looking at it at all. This is an opportunity for me to get another line going, get another line on the scoresheet every night playing with some good players. I'm looking at it completely different with a fresh mentality and I'm excited about it."

Did he just self-confirm reports about his bad/entitled attitude? (Which I have no source for - just going on memory)

I have no idea what to think of Sam until I get a real sample size of him at C. Projections and speculation don't mean anything to me until then. 

If he has to go back to wing then he's going to be a very nice, smart wing for us. If that's the case then I wish we drafted someone else, but obviously hindsight is 20/20 and at least we don't have Michael Dal Colle. I wouldn't hold that against him and would enjoy his career here.

I'm fine with him being versatile down the road, but he's already shown he can be productive on the wing and he needs to cut his teeth as an NHL center by predominantly playing center this season. I'm sure most of us can agree that we're not likely to win the Cup this year (new Coach, new System, still waiting on some of the kids to replace the cap anchors, etc.) so this is the perfect time for him to play center.

I'd rather get him acclimated to playing center now. I don't want to stick him back on the wing for months with little to no time at center and wind up being force to put him back at center during a playoff push (or actual playoffs) because of an injury to O'Reilly or Eichel.

Keep him at 3C primarily. Move him around as matchups / situations dictate.

I'd expect him to grow into a very good 3C/ meh 2C. Liked that his line's 1st shift was against Moe-ray-all's 4th line. Housley was trying to get mismatches when he could. Letting Reinhart have the opportunity to grow into an NHL C should help create more of those, & minimize how often they happen against the Sabres on the road.

So in his heart of hearts he'd prefer playing wing here? Am I reading/inferring inaccurately?

So in his heart of hearts he'd prefer playing wing here? Am I reading/inferring inaccurately?

I read it that Sam used to feel the same way as We've and Bylsma, that if he's not with the other top forwards he's not playing as important a role.

Proof that Sam wasn't upset over not playing his "natural position".

Was the question that Sam didn't appreciate being at wing, or that he asked to be at center? Because I am 100% positive that Sam has expressed interest in playing his position within the past year and a half. I don't see how him viewing 3rd line center as a demotion from top 6 wing early in his career negates that, it just shows that he wasn't upset to be on the wing in the top 6. 

Let it beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, we'll survive a few more games of this 

Was the question that Sam didn't appreciate being at wing, or that he asked to be at center? Because I am 100% positive that Sam has expressed interest in playing his position within the past year and a half. I don't see how him viewing 3rd line center as a demotion from top 6 wing early in his career negates that, it just shows that he wasn't upset to be on the wing in the top 6.

Let it beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, we'll survive a few more games of this

I'm there. I liked what we saw from him yesterday. I'm good with continuing Sam at C. At the very least, for now.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.