How fine is Sam Reinhart?

dudacek

Reinhart  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be done with Sam Reinhart?

• He's one of our best wingers, let him be that player
    • He's a natural centre, let him be that player
    • His versatility is an asset, move him around as roster needs dictate
    • He's a great trade chip, cash it in
  2. 2. What do you expect this season

• A move back to wing and maybe 50ish points; he is what he is
    • A drop in points because of the lack of talent around him as the 3C
    • A breakout year, he's going to be better regardless of his position
    • Steady improvement at C, until he is effectively a good 2C by seasons end
    • Disappointment; he's not that good and a poor fit for Housley

I'm more and more getting less impressed by whatever it is reino is bringing, he is trying to be physical but he's just not that kind of player, get him with the right guys or get him outta here

I'll never fault a skill player for being physical. At 6'1" and 200 lbs, he's average sized but big enough that if he gets the hang of using his body that'll just make him better in the long run. I'm willing to wait a bit to see how it pans out.

I'll never fault a skill player for being physical. At 6'1" and 200 lbs, he's average sized but big enough that if he gets the hang of using his body that'll just make him better in the long run. I'm willing to wait a bit to see how it pans out.

I'm certainly not blaming him for being physical, but I don't even know if I'd call him a skill guy. Sure he was drafted as one, but I haven't seen it this season....im just at a point where I'm starting to demand more from our players, and Sam is on the top of that list.

I'm certainly not blaming him for being physical, but I don't even know if I'd call him a skill guy. Sure he was drafted as one, but I haven't seen it this season....im just at a point where I'm starting to demand more from our players, and Sam is on the top of that list.

That's fair. I think his skill isn't flying around the ice like Eichel, but a lot more subtle. We've seen some of the great passes and vision, but so far it's not clicking and turning into goals. He's a skill player. I want to see more too.

I'm more and more getting less impressed by whatever it is reino is bringing, he is trying to be physical but he's just not that kind of player, get him with the right guys or get him outta here

You don't blame him for being physical, but you insist he's "not that kind of player."  I would go in a different direction:  Maybe he has the hockey sense to be a good NHLer, but not the raw speed to be a "skill guy."  If that's the case I really don't have a problem with him evolving his game.  If he has the hockey sense to understand how an opponent's rush is unfolding *and* how best to use his positioning to deliver a well-timed check to disrupt it, that would make him very valuable to the team.  And we know he has the hands to score and set up others.  He could be a great 2-way player.

Agree. 3 points in 11 games isn't near enough from Sam, and we should expect more.

You don't blame him for being physical, but you insist he's "not that kind of player."  I would go in a different direction:  Maybe he has the hockey sense to be a good NHLer, but not the raw speed to be a "skill guy."  If that's the case I really don't have a problem with him evolving his game.  If he has the hockey sense to understand how an opponent's rush is unfolding *and* how best to use his positioning to deliver a well-timed check to disrupt it, that would make him very valuable to the team.  And we know he has the hands to score and set up others.  He could be a great 2-way player.

That's a great point. If Sam is going to carve out a niche in this NHL, I think it'll have to be in a 2-way role. His hockey sense should serve him well in the defensive side of the game. He wasn't the fastest guy at the WJC either, and his line was the go-to shutdown line when they were protecting a lead in the gold medal game. I remember him taking face-off after face-off in the third.

Face-offs are an example of something he can excel at where his lack of speed has no effect. He should be dialling in that aspect of his game. Maybe he's already working on it.

I won't ever blame a guy throwing his body around in the NHL, including sam..... But too many times I've seen him easily bumped away causing a rush the other way or loss of team possession, if he's gonna be a 2 way guy, Ala Bergeron then yes please, but right now I see a lost kid, who is getting bounced around the lineup of a crappy team. That's not a good mix for both sam and the Sabres.

I won't ever blame a guy throwing his body around in the NHL, including sam..... But too many times I've seen him easily bumped away causing a rush the other way or loss of team possession, if he's gonna be a 2 way guy, Ala Bergeron then yes please, but right now I see a lost kid, who is getting bounced around the lineup of a crappy team. That's not a good mix for both sam and the Sabres.

More than fair.

I agree with that, but it has to be on him. He has to earn it at this stage. Every step of the way he has not lived up to expectations right from the first year when he looked totally lost to now where he cannot find a niche or role. He simply has not delivered on his draft status.

His rookie season was very good.

I agree with that, but it has to be on him. He has to earn it at this stage. Every step of the way he has not lived up to expectations right from the first year when he looked totally lost to now where he cannot find a niche or role. He simply has not delivered on his draft status. 

The first year when he put up 43 points as a rookie? I thought he looked good for a kid. 

If he gets used to dishing it out, he will probably learn to take it too.

2nd overall, 1st forward taken in the 14 draft.

Hard to say really what has gone wrong here, but Sam has shown he is capable of putting up 20 - 25 a season with 50 points.

Sure its nice his D game is developing, but we need scoring, specifically finishing snipers. Sam is not that.

I am now firmly entrenched in the trade Reinhart camp. Either for a top end D or a top end winger.

I have no interest in dumping Reino.

If a trade is there for a good return -- fine -- but I'm skeptical on that as he's looked lousy this year and, notwithstanding certain disagreement that's been posted here, is trending down since his rookie year.

I also have no interest in giving him anything more than a "prove it" contract.

Right now he's JAG.

Samson is a pass first set up guy.

If he played his natural position with good scoring wingers he could have 60+ assists.

He is not being used properly, which has everything to do with the roster.

He's not as good as ROR is at C, so he'll likely be on line 3 if he's centering. Girgensons and Bailey seem like capable wingers for him, it's up to Sam to produce.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.