The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

Larsson seems to have the fan base divided. Not really sure why.

Grittiest guy on the team with enough skill and smarts to play on the third line.

I like him as a 4th line guy. He does not generate enough offense to be a 3rd liner on a good team. Being a 'good' 3rd liner on the Sabres the past few years is not a qualification. 

I like him as a 4th line guy. He does not generate enough offense to be a 3rd liner on a good team. Being a 'good' 3rd liner on the Sabres the past few years is not a qualification. 

Not necessarily disagreeing, but he was on pace for about 10-12 goals and 20-25 points last year.

These days those are passable third line numbers.

Not necessarily disagreeing, but he was on pace for about 10-12 goals and 20-25 points last year.

These days those are passable third line numbers.

Ehhh...even in his "breakout" season last year at almost 17 minutes per night ice time including some PP time he needs to generate more than 1.36 shots per game to be on my 3rd line unless he's an assist machine, which he is not. 

He can jump up to the 3rd line when needed due to injuries. It's not like he's Delo, or now Nolan, I guess. 

I don't think that Larsson is an established 3rd line hockey player right this second, but I think he will become one when he finally gets a full season without injuries on a team that is hopefully good, based on how I saw him handle tough competition the last few years and how I think they're going to use him. 

He's not going to be a Hagelin/Johansson elite 3rd liner or anything, but a guy that can occupy a spot there long term even on good teams without too much hand-wringing from fans.

I don't think that Larsson is an established 3rd line hockey player right this second, but I think he will become one when he finally gets a full season without injuries on a team that is hopefully good, based on how I saw him handle tough competition the last few years and how I think they're going to use him. 

He's not going to be a Hagelin/Johansson elite 3rd liner or anything, but a guy that can occupy a spot there long term even on good teams without too much hand-wringing from fans.

That'd be great. He's 25 this season so it's getting to be put up or shut-up time for 3rd line credibility in the big leagues.

If Samson stays at 3rd line Center, then I guess Larsson plays wing? Not sure about his skill set for that but who knows.  

That'd be great. He's 25 this season so it's getting to be put up or shut-up time for 3rd line credibility in the big leagues.

If Samson stays at 3rd line Center, then I guess Larsson plays wing? Not sure about his skill set for that but who knows.

If Sam stays as the 3rd line Center, Larsson should be the 4th line center.

You think they'll waive Johan Larsson?

It's not impossible. I think they will try to make this team as different from last year's as possible and in the case of a tie they will pick a younger guy over an older guy. Larsson has not impressed in the preseason. I think Josefson may have won the center job for the 4th line.

Honestly though, I don't think much of this matters. This is a thin team in terms of depth and the composition of the 4th line will be determined by what role Housley has in mind for it (i.e penalty killers, a crash line, a fast line, whatever) and how many minutes he plans to play them most nights. 

It's not impossible. I think they will try to make this team as different from last year's as possible and in the case of a tie they will pick a younger guy over an older guy. Larsson has not impressed in the preseason. I think Josefson may have won the center job for the 4th line.

Honestly though, I don't think much of this matters. This is a thin team in terms of depth and the composition of the 4th line will be determined by what role Housley has in mind for it (i.e penalty killers, a crash line, a fast line, whatever) and how many minutes he plans to play them most nights. 

I've seen no indication of this.

We'll see. Not long to wait now.

You underestimate Larrson and his contributions..  He can skate, is a pest and I don't think you have seen his best yet... still coming back from injury and getting into the flow.  Before he got hurt, he was on a role with the Foligno.  An interesting line would be Larrson, with Nolan and Sam.  Larry has some scoring touch and is a good passer with nice sandpaper to him.  I want to see if that will work.  PS, Don't see Larry getting cut.  Could see a trade for a scorer, but would have to be at the trade deadline.  As you said we shall see.  

Johan Larsson will not be cut. That is hilarious. He would never make it through waivers which I am 73% sure he qualifies for. 

Seem highly unlikely. You don't waive a player you could trade, that is piss poor asset management. Further, Josefson is older than Larsson. Nolan is older than both of them. 

Anyone worried about Scandella? No playing time in pre-season, missing practice? He's just going to be magically fine for regular season? 

I would be more worried if he was a RHD. There is and I can't believe I am saying this, depth behind Scandella, so if he needs more time we can give it to him. 

Yes I am worried about him but I am not freaking out yet. 

If we have an opening night 4th line of Josefson Larsson Nolan, what do we do with Moulson? Housley also has skated Moulson on the 3rd line. What then happens to Pouliot?

One other note; I read recently that Jbot gave two year deals to certain players, especially some of the AAAA guys like Tennyson to make it unlikely that teams would claim them on waivers.

Edited by GASabresFan

If we have an opening night 4th line of Josefson Larsson Nolan, what do we do with Moulson? Housley also has skated Moulson on the 3rd line. What then happens to Pouliot?

One other note; I read recently that Jbot gave two year deals to certain players, especially some of the AAAA guys like Tennyson to make it unlikely that teams would claim them on waivers.

Pouliot hasn't shone, but I still think he starts on L3 ahead of Moulson.

I think Matty is unlikely to start.

Edited by dudacek

No chance they keep the younger guy over the older guy. If there's a tie between an older player and a younger one, they send down the younger player that doesn't have to clear waivers first. Doing the opposite could destroy their depth, unless you are referring to the overpaid guys that we can only hope someone would pick up on waivers (Moulson, Gorges, etc.).

I would give Moulson to Reinhart.

The Moulson - Reinhart - Griffith line they've been running the past few days has made me long for the days of Reinhart at RW.

Anyone worried about Scandella? No playing time in pre-season, missing practice? He's just going to be magically fine for regular season?

Having flashes of Kulikov. He's supposed to be on our top pair, so it's very concerning.

Sometimes you guys really over value our roster from last year. Seem to forget how bad this team was.

Of course you try to trade Larsson before waiving him - if you can. I'm sure the Kings tried to trade Nolan too but at this stage of the season most teams don't look to trade for 4th liners, they usually give their younger guys or minor leaguers a shot first. It just becomes a salary issue and nothing more. 

I think Larsson is probably on the roster, I just said it wouldn't shock me if he wasn't.