2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

Kris Baker put me on to this guy. He's a LHD and from the sounds of it, the exact type of player you look for in the early goings of round 4. 

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehockeyjournal/january_2018/MobilePagedArticle.action?articleId=1280230#articleId1280230

Thanks, any idea why no stats yet this year on Elite Prospects? wonder if its high school stats are not available or has he been hurt? there doesnt seem to be a date on the artice. Sounds interesting for sure.

Thanks, any idea why no stats yet this year on Elite Prospects? wonder if its high school stats are not available or has he been hurt? there doesnt seem to be a date on the artice. Sounds interesting for sure.

He's playing. It looks like the team hasn't put out stats, but if you look at game summaries, he gets mentioned.

Here is another interesting prospect that is getting some interest. LIam Kirk playing in the English men's league. Will probably play in CHL next year.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=230605

https://mobile.twitter.com/gbhockeyfuture/status/848538255494656002

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/draft-eligible-liam-kirk-driven-to-become-nhl-s-first-uk-born-and-trained-player

Edited by Crusader1969

Here is another interesting prospect that is getting some interest. LIam Kirk playing in the English men's league. Will probably play in CHL next year.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=230605

https://mobile.twitter.com/gbhockeyfuture/status/848538255494656002

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/draft-eligible-liam-kirk-driven-to-become-nhl-s-first-uk-born-and-trained-player

He plays in the Elite League, good player. Hard to tell ability wise as our league is quite far behind in terms of quality compared to Swedish, German leagues.

Absolutely, a real tough job for scouts. He isn't even ranked by NHL central scouting.

These and overagers are where you spend your 6th and 7th round picks. I think some players just fly under the radar because of the league or team they play on. 

I believe Rakish has looked into how it is good to use the last couple rounds on overagers. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

These and overagers are where you spend your 6th and 7th round picks. I think some players just fly under the radar because of the league or team they play on. 

I believe Rakish has looked into how it is good to use the last couple rounds on overagers. 

What I decided was that overagers are so undervalued, there's really no need to take a 17 year old not born in the youngest quadrant after about the 3rd round. I used to have this really nice graphic, one for each year.

From odd leagues like Kirk is playing, players are highly overdrafted, as they are from high school. You want to take college kids.

Crusaders mock Draft 3.0

This month Buffalo has dropped two spots to 4th. 

1) Anaheim (up 13 slots). Rasmus Dahlin A team already with one of the best / deepest crop of Defencemen lands Dahlin. The biggest question is who goes to make room for Dahlin?

2) Detroit (up 5 slots). Andrei Svechnikov - The Wings now have the brother combination of Andrei / Evgeny.

3) Arizona (down 2 slots). Filip Zadina - Keller now has a pure goal scorer to play on his wing

4) Buffalo (down 2 slots). Adam Boqvist - I'm starting to have my reservations about Boqvist, as he hasn't played much over the last month or so. He hasnt been able to get more than 5 minutes or so per game for Brynas. This month will be a big one for Boqvist, he can once again show he is an elite prospect vs his peer group at the much anticipated 5 nations tournament Feb 13 -17 in Plymouth.

5) Ottawa (down 2 slots). Brady Tkachuk. Last of the big 5 and BPA

6) Montreal (down 2 slots) Noah Dobson - Montreal lands best QMJHL D prospect in at least a decade.

7) Vancouver (down 2 slots) Quinton Hughes - Canucks add another puck moving Dman to the prospect pool. If Joulevi finds his game, the Canucks could have the best propect pool in the NHL.

8) Edmonton (down 2 slots) Evan Bouchard - Desperate to add skill to the roster, the Oilers land an elite level passer and PP QB

9) Florida (down 1 slot) Oliver Wahlstrom - this years Owen Tippett joins Owen Tippett as one of the top prospects for the Panthers

10) NYI (Down 1 slot) Jarred McIsaac - Solid 2 way defenceman. Thats two Moosehead in the top 10 for anyone counting.

post-3002-0-61367600-1517585464_thumb.png

Edited by Crusader1969

Crusader, Sabres take Tkachuk at 4. Jbot has Guhle coming up and with Kane being traded he’s going to want a physical scoring forward long term to replace him. Add that we have no guys who are primarily goal scorers in the organization, get Tkachuk is imperative.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Crusader, Sabres take Tkachuk at 4. Jbot has Guhle coming up and with Kane being traded he’s going to want a physical scoring forward long term to replace him. Add that we have no guys who are primarily goal scorers in the organization, get Tkachuk is imperative.

I do think it will be a tough call if both Boqvist and Tkachuk are available at 4.

My thought is that Boqvist who plays the Right D and would slot in the top 4 with him and Risto on the Right and Guhle / Scandella on the Left.  Boqvist would, hopefully, become a 25 min a game guy and would be the Top PP QB. Your top wingers plays about 17 /18 mins. I'm sure the most frustrating thing for Housley this season is the lack of speed of the defecemen. I bet he even sees a bit of himself in Boqvist. If Boqvist goes to the U18 and dominates like he did for Brynas J20 (12 goals in 20 games) and the Hlinka (8 points in 5 games) and looks like a Karlsson clone while doing it, he will be selected early by a team (like the Sabres) who put an emphasis on D mobility.

I do like the physicality that Tkachuk would bring to the team and I can see the benefits of him being selected before Boqvist. Especially, if you think that you can find another puck moving mobile Dman later in the 1st or 2nd round.

Im sticking with Boqvist until he proves me wrong in the coming weeks.

I do think it will be a tough call if both Boqvist and Tkachuk are available at 4.

My thought is that Boqvist who plays the Right D and would slot in the top 4 with him and Risto on the Right and Guhle / Scandella on the Left.  Boqvist would, hopefully, become a 25 min a game guy and would be the Top PP QB. Your top wingers plays about 17 /18 mins. I'm sure the most frustrating thing for Housley this season is the lack of speed of the defecemen. I bet he even sees a bit of himself in Boqvist. If Boqvist goes to the U18 and dominates like he did for Brynas J20 (12 goals in 20 games) and the Hlinka (8 points in 5 games) and looks like a Karlsson clone while doing it, he will be selected early by a team (like the Sabres) who put an emphasis on D mobility.

I do like the physicality that Tkachuk would bring to the team and I can see the benefits of him being selected before Boqvist. Especially, if you think that you can find another puck moving mobile Dman later in the 1st or 2nd round.

REALLY hope not (if the Sabres do end up w/ him).

Pretty sure he sees a lot of himself in Beaulieu; which is why when healthy that walking turnover gets regular ice time & Antipin is left hanging.

Or zadina who is a sniper

Olofsson is a sniper.

My thought is that Boqvist who plays the Right D and would slot in the top 4 with him and Risto on the Right and Guhle / Scandella on the Left. Boqvist would, hopefully, become a 25 min a game guy and would be the Top PP QB. Your top wingers plays about 17 /18 mins. I'm sure the most frustrating thing for Housley this season is the lack of speed of the defecemen. I bet he even sees a bit of himself in Boqvist. If Boqvist goes to the U18 and dominates like he did for Brynas J20 (12 goals in 20 games) and the Hlinka (8 points in 5 games) and looks like a Karlsson clone while doing it, he will be selected early by a team (like the Sabres) who put an emphasis on D mobility.

Boqvist sits in a tier below tkachuk for me

Boqvist tearing up j20 league doesn't impress me. It's good, like it doesn't mean nothing. I just think he is a little overhyped. He's on the wahlstrom tier for me

What do you guys think of Evan Bouchard? I think he's going to rise quite a bit by June. Looks awesome.

I've decided I want no part of Svechnikov, he's behind several D and Tkachuk/Zadina for me.

I have him in that pick 8-10 tier I think. I like him too Edited by SkuggaLiger

I have him in that pick 8-10 tier I think. I like him too

What do you guys think of Evan Bouchard? I think he's going to rise quite a bit by June. Looks awesome.

I've decided I want no part of Svechnikov, he's behind several D and Tkachuk/Zadina for me.

I like Bouchard a lot - great passer and has an amazing shot. His defensive play and skating are said to be so-so. I like a couple of dmen better at this point Boqvist, Hughes and Dobson.

I really like Svechnikov as well. 26 goals in 29 games, I can get behind that

Edit*. Should have waited for his game to end. Just finished up a hat trick and now has 27 in 29

Here is video proof. https://mobile.twitter.com/ohlhockey/status/959994816221265920

Edited by Crusader1969

Zadina appears to be more sniper, but also more of a perimeter player.

That's a great point. Love the chart too. Do you prefer the sniper or the guy who takes it to the net?

If given the choice between the 2, I'm probably going with the Russian

Watch Svechnikovs 1st goal from last night, creates the turnover with a big check along the boards, he then shows off his skating and joins he rush. Gets the pass takes it to the net and shows off his hands by roofing it just under the crossbar.

Not sure there are any connections between Dale Hawerchuk and the Sabres but I'm sure they will still get an honest opinion from him about his Colts star forward.

That's a great point. Love the chart too. Do you prefer the sniper or the guy who takes it to the net?

If given the choice between the 2, I'm probably going with the Russian

Watch Svechnikovs 1st goal from last night, creates the turnover with a big check along the boards, he then shows off his skating and joins he rush. Gets the pass takes it to the net and shows off his hands by roofing it just under the crossbar.

Not sure there are any connections between Dale Hawerchuk and the Sabres but I'm sure they will still get an honest opinion from him about his Colts star forward.

I don't think perimeter players transition well to the NHL in general, Kessel being an exception.  Given just the info from that graphic, I prefer the Russian as well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.