2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

Wahlstrom is noted for his puck pursuit. I'm not worried about him being soft. Tkachuk is still higher on my list but there isn't a big gap.

I just hope whomever them draft gets the liger stamp of approval so we don't need to read about how JBotts got it all wrong and liger told us so for 5 years running.

GA had a name on his list that I first heard about this past weekend listening to a draft podcast.

Jonny Tychonick  5'11 LHD from the BCHL (same league as Makar). He is committed to UND.

He was viewed as easily the best player at the CJHL Prospect game last week. could go early 2nd round - though I read somewhere that some scouts think there is a possibility that he skyrockets, like Makar, and ends up a lottery pick.  

https://twitter.com/draftbuzzhockey/status/940350670657478657

Edit. Makar played in the AJHL not the BCHL. Should have said same level of hockey

Tkachuk doesn’t seem to have trouble scoring goals.

He also can score them from areas no one but Reinhart seems to be able to score them from on our current team.

I feel about this draft like I did about the previous two: we’ll be picking in the top ten; we should get a good player.

Tkachuk doesn’t seem to have trouble scoring goals.

He also can score them from areas no one but Reinhart seems to be able to score them from on our current team.

I feel about this draft like I did about the previous two: we’ll be picking in the top ten; we should get a good player.

Very good point. Tkachuk is agile and he works great along the wall and down low.

Wrong!!  Ehlers, yes.  

FUCALE!!  I wanted that D.R. weasel to trade up to get him.  For a brief moment I thought he did, but then he took some other clown and the Habs grabbed him wit the next pick, I think.

This is correct.  You have a good memory.

ZADINA!!

I'm with you, man. I draft Zadina over everyone in this draft except for Dahlin. I just hope we get a chance to draft him. Outside of winning one of the 3 lottery spots or finishing dead last and him falling to us at #4 I don't think he'll be available though.

I fixed it

Even if the Sabres pass Ottawa, they are still 83% drafting top 5. 

Here is the expected Line-up for Sweden at the upcoming 5 nation tourney: Feb 

Adam Boqvist will be the one to keep an eye on.  If he can dominate against his peers, like he did at the Hlinka last August, he can almost guarantee himself a top 5 draft slot.

Others on Sweden who could be 1st rounders - Filip Hallander andJacob Olofsson, 

:

https://twitter.com/hockeymag/status/958287266899689472

Wish Lundestrom was on the team. There are some good players to watch there. Adam Ginning is a potential 3rd round guy to keep an eye on. LHD, 6'3" just learning the SHL game.

TY leger. i think we all have a sense of the talent at or near the top of the 1st.... More interested in late 1st if Kane is traded and later rounds.

PS the more I watch Walstrom the more I like.

TY leger. i think we all have a sense of the talent at or near the top of the 1st.... More interested in late 1st if Kane is traded and later rounds.

PS the more I watch Walstrom the more I like.

I'll look at more at the back of round 1 if we get a pick there. Edited by SkuggaLiger

Corey Pronman released his Mid Season Rankings at The Athletic. Calls the class below average overall, but is impressed with the D Men.

Biggest surprise Ryan Merkley at 6.

Brady Tkatchuk at 15.

Hughes at 3, Boqvist at 5

Dobson 24, Bouchard at 26.

Edit Wahlstrom at 7.

And Liger has convinced me on him

This is interesting, I’ve heard a lot about how this draft looks like a deep one, nothing about it being below average until now.

This is interesting, I’ve heard a lot about how this draft looks like a deep one, nothing about it being below average until now.

It's because of the depth at the top of 2017. This draft has less of that high end offensive talent but has loads of defensive depth.

Center do seem weak but decent wings and D are plentiful and Sabres need both.

Exactly.  The other issue that draft people have is this draft isn't 2015. McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Provorov, Hanifin, Werenski, Meier, Ratanen, Barzal, Connor, White, Boeser, Konencny.  Those are all either in the NHL and doing well or on the cusp and that is just round 1.  2015 was a crazy talented draft.  It is however an outlier.  Most drafts look like 2016, 2017, and 2018. A lot of analyst seem to think every draft should look like 2015 and if it doesn't it is "below average" or a "weak draft class".  

2nd round or later guys to consider. Preliminary thoughts.

K'Andre Miller, big physical defender. Skating agility is a ?

Ryan O'Reilly, RW scorer... no, not the ROR but he has quite a few goals in the USHL

Adam Ginning, defender playing in Sweden. I always like Swedish defenders for some reason. Maybe because of their polished 2-way games

Filip Hallander, C/LW out of Sweden. I don't know a ton about him. He is putting up points in the Allsvenskan at 17 so that is intriguing to me. 

Each year for the last 6 or so years, I’ve made a spreadsheet to review and compile the various prospect ratings from reliable sources sich as TSN, McKeens, ISS etc.. I’ve compiled 8 sources so far with recent ratings and some patterns are emerging. Looking at the entire board so far, it looks like there are 24 prospects most analysts think are going in the 1st rd. Plus another 2 groups of 9 who could sneak into the 1st rd. None of this means that guys can’t slip or by taken way before expected, but the list has proven pretty accurate over the years.

One note, I looked back at my list from 2014. Sam, Leon and Bennett were pretty much tied for 2nd. One interesting note, All-star Point was 39th on my list. He fell to Tampa at 79. Instead we drafted Cornel at 44, Karabacek at 49 and Martin at 72. Thanks TM.

I’ve placed them in 6 tiers with the top tier having 3 sub-tiers.

Top 24

Tier 1A- Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina

Tier 1B - Tkachuk and Boqvist

Tier 1C- Hughes and Wahlstrom

Tier 2 - Kupari, Ty Smith, Farabee, Dobson, Wilde, and Bouchard

Tier 3 - Lundestrom, Velano, Hayton, McIssac, Kotkaniemi, and McLeod

Tier 4- Merkley, Denisenko, Thomas, Woo and Groulx

Next 9

Tier 5 - McBain, Olofsson, Addison, Noel, and Alexeyev

Tier 6 - Miller, Bokk, Samuelsson, and Tychonick

Update. Pronman, THN and Future Considerations updated their lists, so I now have 11 sources.

Not too many changes to the above list except as follows

1) the top 7 have firmed up and the gap between Wahlstrom at 7 (average slot 7.82) and Ty Smith at 8 (average slot 11.45) is the biggest gap between two players on the board.

2) There are now 26 players with consistent 1st rd grades (appeared on at least 9 of the 11 lists). Olofsson and Noel have jumped from tier 5 to tier 4.

3) Miller and Bokk jumped to tier 5, while Alexeyev fell to tier 6.

4) Two players picking up some steam are Jonny Tychonick and Alex Khovanov. They have appeared on 3 of 5 ballots since Jan 10.

A-ha are from Norway.  Other than that, I am with you.

Meh.  No difference.

Yes, I know there's a huge difference; my fraternity little brother was from Norway.  ;)

I always like Swedish defenders for some reason. Maybe because of their polished 2-way games

Because Lidstrom.

Update. Pronman, THN and Future Considerations updated their lists, so I now have 11 sources.

1) the top 7 have firmed up and the gap between Wahlstrom at 7 (average slot 7.82) and Ty Smith at 8 (average slot 11.45) is the biggest gap between two players on the board.

2) There are now 26 players with consistent 1st rd grades (appeared on at least 9 of the 11 lists). Olofsson and Noel have jumped from tier 5 to tier 4.

4) Two players picking up some steam are Jonny Tychonick and Alex Khovanov. They have appeared on 3 of 5 ballots since Jan 10.

Oh I like this compilation

The gap after 7 makes a lot of sense

If the Sabres land one of the Forwards with their first pick - Tychonick or Jet Woo would be a great early 2nd rounder (if Available). 

To be honest, I only first heard of Tychonick this past weekend but he sounds like a prospect we need to get to know.  

From the Draft Analyst ; "Easily the most noticeable player on the ice with or without the puck. Tychonick’s skating is at the forefront of his overall game — everything he does with the puck is a consequence of it. Whether it’s skating through open ice or weaving around traffic, the North Dakota commit commands a lot of respect on the ice, and you can tell he keeps opponents honest. Give him space, and he’ll exploit it. Tighten up on him? Forget it — he’s gone"

here is an isolation video of Jonny  

http://sportsandmoore.com/jonny-tychonick-2018-nhl-draft-eligible/

Edited by Crusader1969

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.