2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

Hughes did not have a great WJC, was caught out of position on a few goals against and lost a few puck battles do to size.

He can run a PP and is an impressive puck mover.

Wahlstrom is intriguing at 6, I would feel better if Botterill can add a Defenseman in the Kane Trade though.

This was easier before the Sens decided to ###### the bed.

I will say this, it is easier to find a top 4 defender outside the top 10 and into round 2, then it is to find a top scorer.  Pk Subban, Shea Weber, Roman Josi all 2nd round picks. Erik Karlsson, #15 overall. Brent Burns #20 overall. Lidstrom #53overall. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Mike Morreale was on GR this AM.

Mentioned Dahlin and Svechnikov as the two he feels are NHL Ready next season.

Mentioned that the draft is deep in Defenseman (particularly RHD) and wingers.

Did he mention Zadina? I would be surprised if he isn't in the NHL next season as well

Tkachuk could be NHL, I'd like to see him dominate at the College level as I don't think he is doing so as of yet. 

We need speed, TKachuck is out, he is more of the same that we already have, a slow skilled player with hockey IQ, we need Svechnikov, he is the speedy winger but he's also 6'2" and scrappy. If we fall out of top 2 I agree we will be in on a defensemen, hoping Boqvist as I think he's the next best defensemen not named Dahlin.

We need speed, TKachuck is out, he is more of the same that we already have, a slow skilled player with hockey IQ, we need Svechnikov, he is the speedy winger but he's also 6'2" and scrappy. If we fall out of top 2 I agree we will be in on a defensemen, hoping Boqvist as I think he's the next best defensemen not named Dahlin.

Zadina would also fit what you're looking for up front.  So would Wahlstrom.

I feel a few years younger today because I'm suddenly worried the Sabres will be just good enough the rest of the season to play themselves out of a top-5 pick again this June.  

Zadina is easily above Boqvist at this stage. I might put Wahlstrom on Boqvist's heels too.  Again, this draft is deep at defense and there is a possibility of getting a top 4 defender in round 2.  Idc if we play our way out of top 5 pick, we should have never been via for one to begin with. 

Bob McKenzie’s Draft Rankings.

http://www.tsn.ca/template-welcome-to-the-rasmus-dahlin-draft-1.979722

It’s a very strong draft in the top five or six,” the scout said. “Those top guys are outstanding. It’s should be, overall, a quality first round but I think you’ll see quite a bit of jockeying back and forth in the coming months.”

Zadina would also fit what you're looking for up front.  So would Wahlstrom.

I feel a few years younger today because I'm suddenly worried the Sabres will be just good enough the rest of the season to play themselves out of a top-5 pick again this June.

God, that would be fun to watch.

Ah, the Buffalo Bills strategy. Guaranteed to make the playoffs within 18 years or your money back!!

Don't be.

God, that would be fun to watch.

Listen, you! Watching hockey isn't about fun! It's about maximizing your draft position! Fun comes 7 to 10 years after you last made the playoffs. Maybe.

Look we already got Jack. We need him and the team to learn to win. Losing for a top 5 pick now is dumb. Especially in this draft.

Murray's "accelerated rebuild" didn't surround Jack with much of a team.  We can't skate and we can't pass.  I'd be thrilled with another top-5 pick this year to give us another cornerstone player to build around.

Sabres finish 3rd they'll draft 6th.  Hawks will get Dahlin, the Wings pair the bros Svetch and the rangers get a Tkachuk.  Bank on Uncle Gary making sure Chicago has a shiny toy for the 2019 Winter Classic in South Bend.  That same city that is home to a universiy with a football team that NBC has decided needed its own network.  And since NBC and its cable affiliates on comcast are the primary carriers of US based broadcasts.  Rogers needed McJesus and Matthews to make their contract work so he will throw some love to his US homies and make sure Chicago and Detroit continue to be viable.  If Boston misses you can swap them and the Rangers.  They have their own network. 

Edited by 3putt

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.