2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

Svechnikov with 2 goals today vs Hamilton in a school day afternoon tilt.

now has 29 goals in 30 games.

Read on twitter (cant say 100% its correct) that only 2 OHLer's have avg'd over 1 goal a game before their 18 year old season.Some guys named Gretzky and Lindros.

more stats to back up why I have him #2 on my list:

EV Goals/60   during draft year.

1) Svchenikov 2.37 

2) McDavid     2.03

Sabres can not score 5x5. Svechnikov is known for driving to the net, skill and even strength scoring.  Not sure how you can pass up on him over Tkachuk or Zadina (both great prospects in their own-right).

Draft list update.  I still have 11 ballots, but the 2 remaining Dec ballots are gone and replaced with 2 Feb ballots.  Surprisingly it made some very subtle changes to the list. 

26 players remain very likely 1st rd picks, but another 5 are balloting at over 50% making 31.

18 players are sure fire 1st rd picks and the top 7 remains significantly above the rest of the pack.  I have changed the tiers a little to reflect a growing gap between the top 3 and the next 4 but also a big gap between 4&5 and 6&7

Top 18

Tier 1 - Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina

Tier 2 - Boqvist and Tkachuk

Tier 3 - Wahlstrom and Hughes

Tier 4 - Kupari, Smith, Dobson, Farabee and Bouchard

Tier 5 - Wilde, Veleno, Lundstrom, Hayton, Kotkaniemi and Denisenko

Next 9

Tier 6 - McLeod, Merkley, McIssac, Bokk

Tier 7 - Groulx, Thomas, Woo, Olofsson and Noel

Next 5  (This is the group I expect our 2nd rd pick will come from)

Tier 8 - McBain, Addison, Alexeyev (support falling), Tychonick (support increasing) and M. Samuelsson

Could also sneak in (30% + support)  

Tier 9 - Sandin, Miller, Kaut, Hallander, Khovanov and Kravtsov

That tier 8 and tier 9 is where I expect the first we get for Kane to be. 

Tier 9 are almost certainly early 2nd rd picks. I suspect we could get a tier 7 player and if one falls even a tier 6. For example Bokk is on 8 of the 11 ballots, but even 3 of the 8 he is rated 28th or lower. That means that 6 of the 11 think he is either a bottom of the 1st prospect or an early 2nd rd prospect. His rating is helped by Pronman who thinks he is the 8th best prospect in he draft.

I'm good with any of McIsaac, Woo, Wilde, Merkley, Kupari, Lundstrom, Veleno, Smith and possibly McLeod for a rental in Kane.  An extra first round would help this team grow dramatically.  That's why I'm not against carving it up if there's a major crazy trade for Buffalo out there. 

Woo and Noel are the 2 names I would be interested in. Woo could drop to the 2nd round. Noel could be gone around 15 as teams will be intrigued by his combo of size and skill but if he is still there....

With the Eichel news, am I safe to assume that the Sabres will come in last place ? If so, you are guaranteed an elite level LW with their first pick.

Imagine adding Noel a 6'5 RW who should fill in to about 230lbs with Svchnikov or Tkachuk who are also big bodies and a handful for any defender in the cycle game.

With the 32nd pick, you add that mobile dmen. - woo, Tychonic or Miller

Free prospect profile from McKenns hockey:

Filip Zadina 2018 NHL Draft Eligible

Position: RW, Shoots L H/W: 6-0", 200 lbs

Stats to date (GP-G-A-PTS-PIMS) Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL, (41-33-26-59-26)

Czech U20, WJC (7-7-1-8-2)

Skating: Zadina drifts everywhere on the ice with ease. He is a shifty and effortless skater that seemingly floats above the ice. His stride and footwork do not seem to match up with his actual speed because it is so effortless. His agility is at an elite level already; his edges allow him to blow by defenders cutting out of a corner into the slot. He can turn on a dime and cut at his fastest. His top speed is great but not the highest tier. It may be the only bad mark on his skating to date, but at this level, it does not matter. His skating gives him free access to just about anywhere on the ice if he so chooses. Grade: 65

Shot: Zadina has a big shot for a smaller player. His wrist shot is his weapon of choice, mostly on his off-hand side, accommodating his position. Most of his shots are from 25 feet or closer to the net, and his heavy wrister has speed and spin. He does most of his work from within that right low quadrant of the ice, where he can pick corners and get the puck to the net quickly. His slapshot is good, but he rarely uses it, usually only on the man advantage on a one-timer. Grade: 70

Skills: Zadina’s favourite spot on the ice is between the right wing half-wall and the right corner. He has found a pocket of loose coverage in there where the defender cannot quite harness his explosiveness and his agility, and he attacks. As a lefty, it gives him the optimal angle to get pucks up in tight in a hurry, and he uses that to his advantage. His hands are lightning-quick; he can stickhandle in a phone booth, as opposition defenders have found out this season. His passing has been a huge asset as well, in particular on the powerplay, where a Zadina pass has been slapped in by Max Fortier or B-O Groulx across the zone right to the tape. Zadina has a knack for hitting his teammates in stride no matter the oncoming speed; he can hit a teammate in full gallop across the ice to the tape. Grade: 65

Smarts: Zadina is one of the most creative offensive minds in the QMJHL. He can make plays with his quick hands and feet by reading the play and what is given to him and reacting appropriately, be it on the rush or in the low-right zone of the offensive attack. He reads the play offensively as quickly as he skates, and that allows him to slip around the offensive zone, finding the right area to attack with the least resistance. His creative mind allows him to see the game like a chess match, and find passing seams before anyone else on the ice. Like many of the Mooseheads top players, Zadina works the points up high on the penalty kill, and is very effective with Somppi down a man. His aggressiveness and anticipation helped the Mooseheads lead in shorthanded goals earlier this season. Grade: 65

Physicality: Zadina will never be confused with a bruising forward, but he does have more bite than meets the eye. He is aggressive on the puck and that can lead to some physical play, though he does not go out of his way to hit players. He takes a lot of punishment, certainly, as that comes with the territory of being a finesse forward who plays in the high-traffic areas, but he can be worn down a bit with consistent physical defending from blueliners who can keep up with him. Grade: 50

Summary: There is no doubt that Filip Zadina will be the highest-picked QMJHL player in June in Dallas. The shifty winger has superstar potential and will have an impact offensively at the professional level. He plays well enough defensively to make his shifts stay impactful without defensive lapses. He has been remarkably consistent, even while looking a bit fatigued over the last month or so his point totals have not suffered. He is a main reason for the resurgence of Tampa Bay pick Otto Somppi, and Islanders’ selection Arnaud Durandeau’s speed on the opposite flank has given the Mooseheads enough options to keep the defenders honest with Zadina’s line on the ice and away from the Groulx-Fortier tandem. Halifax’s collection of dynamic forwards have allowed them all to have success this year, as all of their talented options up front have played together at some point, and their chemistry all together has created massive matchup problems for the opposition. Having Zadina in the fold next season for a potential Memorial Cup-hosting Halifax squad, though, would be a surprise. The Czech forward will always be compared to his immediate predecessor as an import of the Mooseheads in New Jersey Devil center Nico Hischier. Like Hischier, he is a very skilled offensive player. Unlike Hischier, Zadina is a bit weaker in the defensive zone, but maybe a slightly better skater, which is why he is most effective on the wing. Zadina is ready to make the jump to the NHL, depending on what team picks him and what type of scoring depth they have.

Here is the summary on Boqvist - again from Mckeens hockey. Very similar to my post a couple of weeks back

Still ahead of Dobson as my #2 dman but I will be watching the 5 nations u18 closely.

Summary: After an impressive performance at the U18 Hlinka tournament last fall Adam Boqvist raised on many draft boards. His regular play in Sweden is not in a very good situation. The coach in Brynas, former NHLer Tommy Sjodin, does not seem to trust his defensive game to give him the ice-time he needs to maximize his development. In Allsvenskan he has only played sporadically and has not been able to be there full time as Brynas seems to pick him back up as a 7th defenseman every time they have an injured defenseman. He has played most of his games at the junior level and he has dominated there, scoring goals at an impressive pace. Boqvist is a great prospect and I see him as a can’t miss pick at the top of the draft, probably as the second-best defenseman. His offensive upside is so good and the way the game is going with higher pace and skill the size should not be as decisive a factor any longer. He will need time to develop his senior game and hopefully he will have a better situation soon where he can play more regularly. If he can get stronger and more pro-active in his own end the development will go fast in the right direction. He is far more skilled than most SHL players already. Adam Boqvist has the potential of becoming a number one defenseman at the NHL-level.

Edited by Crusader1969

Tkachuk highlights. Also did anyone know that Casey Fitzgerald is Brady's cousin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIUz0F3GiTw 

I wanted to pay extra attention to his skating. In the beginning of the video he has clearly powerful strides but it takes a little bit for him to get going. These highlights are primarily from last year in the USHL. You do get to see the balance and edgework though, he is very solid and has some strong cuts. I don't care for the first few steps he takes. 

Fast forward to the world juniors and his College tape and I think there is a marked difference. His agility has improved but so has his quickness. He looks less heavy when he starts skating and his cuts seem faster.  I did notice he has that Eichel Illusion, where you are skating fast but you don't look it. I've also been rewatching some of his goals and his passes. He seems very aware of his teammates and does cut to the net often.

Watched him pretty closely tonight during the Beanpot final and I have no concerns with his skating. I would say that he skates well for a big guy but that wouldn't be giving him his due. I think you can just say "he skates really well"

I think Dobson will be in the conversation for the second D Man selected.

Boqvist is fantastic offensive D Man, but his size and his defensive play bring up questions.

I would argue Dobson is a safer and more well rounded pick. Montreal taking Dobson makes a ton of sense if the order stays the same. Boqvist to Detroit makes sense. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Whoops I switched Dobson and Evan Bouchard.

Bouchard should be in the Top 2 D Man Conversation.

You aren't wrong either way.   Boqvist has by far the most offensive upside, some say better than Karlsson at the same age, but not being trusted by his coaches in either the SHL or the Allsvenskan really concerns me. 

The Sabres can't afford to miss with  their top pick in 2018. I could see them going with both Dobson and Bouchard over Boqvist. Of course I've seen way more of the CHL players than I have of Boqvist.

So my opinion could be swayed today when its Sweden vs USA at the 5 Nation tonight at 7pm. You can watch on hockeytv.com   hopefully they stream it for free.

I can just picture it now.

JBOT goes up  on stage and grabs the mic.

... 'after finally winning this damnable lotto ... the Buffalo Sabres are proud to take with the first overall pick in the 2018 entry draft' (I think he is a man of many words ... the anti-TM) ...

... ' from the Halifax Mooseheads ... ZADINA!!'

And then a hush falls over the crowd followed by whispering murmurs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.