2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

I notice one of the replies was someone with a Habs logo as their profile pic, with the tags #DahlinToMTL #TankForDahlin #EmbraceTheTank

I want to walk up to that guy, whoever he is, and say, "Here, hold my beer...."  ;)

What does he know about tanking?  :P

Edited by Anordning

Is there any player in the top 4 who won’t be an improvement on our roster next season or at worst the year after?

Stil a chance that Boqvist is taken in top 4 and he definitely won't be in NHL next.

But if it goes Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina and Tkachuk. One of them not being in NHL next year is a surprise to me. There is no doubt that whomever is drafted is an immediate improvement on the current roster.

Actually meant to Link the Hockey News list that came out todaY

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/2018-draft-rankings-dahlin-still-the-darling

Edited by Crusader1969

Stil a chance that Boqvist is taken in top 4 and he definitely won't be in NHL next.

But if it goes Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina and Tkachuk. One of them not being in NHL next year is a surprise to me. There is no doubt that whomever is drafted is an immediate improvement on the current roster.

Actually meant to Link the Hockey News list that came out todaY http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/2018-draft-rankings-dahlin-still-the-darling

Wondering about D on this list that might go high in the second round or if Sabres dont get Dahlin, get one of the top O guys, but trade Kane for a number 1 later round, who on D might they go for?

yes was thinking that range..

Looking at lists but really not sure about any of their potential and Sabres are gonna need some in the pipeline.

Still a little early as the lists will firm up going into May but yes. Give me a little time but there are some really good looking players that I think might slide a touch and will be in that 24-31 range. 

Still a little early as the lists will firm up going into May but yes. Give me a little time but there are some really good looking players that I think might slide a touch and will be in that 24-31 range. 

An interesting one would be Merkley. Offensively gifted but a bit of a disaster in his own end and without the puck.

At #24 it would be very hard for this player to be available.  Right now I would put them at 16-18 range with the real potential to climb higher. Jett Woo, 6' 205lb RHD.  He has a late July bday so he is young for the draft. He also has 23 points in 30 games as a defender. Would be the type of player that Buffalo could really use. 

In that 24-31 range,

Ryan Merkley, 5'11" 170lbs RHD, Mid August bday so very young but very talented offensively. 52points in 44 games in the OHL.  The catch being his scouting report. Kid skates great and seems really smart but he loves to rove and it gets him out of position and into trouble. He would be on the Guhle route to the NHL (2 more junior years and then 1 full AHL year). 

Jacob Olofsson, 6'2" 185lbs C/LW, Feb bday making him in the middle of the draft class. He plays in the Allsveskan which is the 2nd tier league in Sweden I believe (MODO, one of our other Euro guys wanna confirm?).  He has 18points in 32 games there and I would say that looks good coming from a soon to be 18yr old. Reports are he skates really well and has a good wrister.  I wouldn't mind him at 24. 

Rasmus Sandin, 5'11" 190lbs LHD, March bday puts him in the middle of the class age wise. He once played for MODO's junior team and played 5 SHL games before deciding to make the jump to NA this season. He has 28 points in the OHL.  His agility is good and he is considered quick but his top end speed is just considered average (read multiple scouting reports, all of them from about 2-3 months ago so).  Would be an excellent all around defender for Buffalo to add to the pipeline is will almost assuredly be there in that 24-31 range. He could slip into round 2 mainly because he is a Euro in his first NA season but I would be good taking him as high as 27/28. I think at 24-26 there would be other options like what I listed above. 

An interesting one would be Merkley. Offensively gifted but a bit of a disaster in his own end and without the puck.

You don't like his -41 and -20 +/- from the last 2 season?  This is one of the few times where +/- tells us something. When it is consistently high and bad, you have to wonder. All the scouting reports talk about how he chances the puck and leaves guys open in the defensive zone. His high end offensive talent though is something to note. 

Who is good with stats. It the Sabres finish ahead of Ottawa and Arizona (finishing 3rd last) what are the odds that they draft 5th or 6th?

I know it would be only be 31% that they draft in the top 3 but its top 4 that I think you need for this draft - if you want the guy playing for you next year.

at #5 or #6, you are probably getting a dman. Either Boqvist, Hughes or Smith (though I've seen Dobson and Bouchard ranked high as well). Only other forward after Zadina, Svechnikov and Tkachuk worth considering would be Walhstrom it seems.

Who is good with stats. It the Sabres finish ahead of Ottawa and Arizona (finishing 3rd last) what are the odds that they draft 5th or 6th?

I know it would be only be 31% that they draft in the top 3 but its top 4 that I think you need for this draft - if you want the guy playing for you next year.

at #5 or #6, you are probably getting a dman. Either Boqvist, Hughes or Smith (though I've seen Dobson and Bouchard ranked high as well). Only other forward after Zadina, Svechnikov and Tkachuk worth considering would be Walhstrom it seems.

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds 

56.7%

I am okay with getting a top 10 defender in this draft. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds 

56.7%

I am okay with getting a top 10 defender in this draft. 

I agree, long term a Defender could work out for the Sabres but im getting impatient and want immediate impact. so definitely want the Coyotes and the Sens to win some games aswell, to keep the Sabres in the Bottom 2. 

That 57% scares the me!

I agree, long term a Defender could work out for the Sabres but im getting impatient and want immediate impact. so definitely want the Coyotes and the Sens to win some games aswell, to keep the Sabres in the Bottom 2. 

That 57% scares the me!

Theoretically could see Casey, Olofsson, Guhle, and Asplund in Buffalo at some point next season.  That would be immediate impact. I just think winning now is more important than where they finish. 

Would Sandin be eligible to be assigned anywhere, similar to Nylander after the draft?

Could he be returned to juniors next season and if he is able make the jump to the AHL if his second post draft year?

Theoretically could see Casey, Olofsson, Guhle, and Asplund in Buffalo at some point next season.  That would be immediate impact. I just think winning now is more important than where they finish.

I understand where you are coming from, but there is seems to be a drop off between Boqvist and Tkachuk compared Hughes and Wahlstrom

Would Sandin be eligible to be assigned anywhere, similar to Nylander after the draft?

Could he be returned to juniors next season and if he is able make the jump to the AHL if his second post draft year?

I understand where you are coming from, but there is seems to be a drop off between Boqvist and Tkachuk compared Hughes and Wahlstrom

There is a dropoff.  The question is how big and will that dropoff change with time.  For example last season. Cale Makar I would have ranked over Mittelstadt. Now, I don't think I feel the same way. 

Wahlstrom and Hughes are both really great prospects. Wahlstrom is currently leading the USDP in scoring and I read reports the kid works hard Couple that with a June bday and he is also in the younger side of the draft class. Hughes has 14 points in 21 NCAA games as a freshmen and that is impressive too. I wish Hughes was bigger and producing more but he's still good. If we draft after Boqvist and Tkachuk are gone, I take Wahlstrom and don't blink an eye. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Hughes did not have a great WJC, was caught out of position on a few goals against and lost a few puck battles do to size.

He can run a PP and is an impressive puck mover.

Wahlstrom is intriguing at 6, I would feel better if Botterill can add a Defenseman in the Kane Trade though.

This was easier before the Sens decided to the bed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.