2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

Corey Pronman released his Mid Season Rankings at The Athletic. Calls the class below average overall, but is impressed with the D Men.

Biggest surprise Ryan Merkley at 6.

Brady Tkatchuk at 15.

Hughes at 3, Boqvist at 5

Dobson 24, Bouchard at 26.

Edit Wahlstrom at 7.

And Liger has convinced me on him

were there any notes why he has Tkachuk at 15? seems really low.  Im betting he is putting a high priority on Skating. Ill assume its Zadina at 4.

So if i was ranking skating ability then I could see: 

1) Dahlin

2) Svechnikov

3) Hughes

4) Zadina

5) Boqvist

6) Merkley

7) Wahlstrom

Otherwise, Merkley at 6 and Tkachuk at 15 makes no sense at all.

From Pronman

Merkley, a former No. 1 overall pick in his OHL draft class, is one of the most skilled players in the draft class. Whenever Merkley gets the puck on his stick, he stands out with his hands and offensive IQ. He shows fantastic vision and has the composure to move the puck at an elite level. He also shows a high level of skill and while he won’t attempt end-to-end rushes like Ryan Murphy used to all the time, he can make a highlight reel skill play to open up space for his vision. Merkley skates at an elite level. With his style of play, he prefers to be more of an elusive skater than a guy who blazes through the neutral zone, though he does possess great speed. Now for his warts. Merkley is small, and can be a headache defensively with some of his decisions, coverage and physicality, although I’ve seen him lay out a huge hit here and there. He has severe ups and downs where he looks dominant one game and a major negative another. He can also let his emotions get the best of him.

Tkachuk has had a very good season between college and the World Junior Championship, continuing a trend of being one of the most important players on whatever team he’s on. He has one of the best physical games in the draft. He’s a strong 6-foot-3 forward who wins battles and bulldozes his way to the net as well as any teenager I’ve seen in the college ranks. Any scout I talk to will immediately heap praise on his competitiveness and the edge in his game. His skill isn’t dynamic, but he has good hands, a decent shot and makes smart plays with the puck. He can distribute the puck, but he’s not high-end in that regard. His skating is decent for a big man, enough that I’ve seen him turn the corner on a few defensemen; but at the same time, he’s not a blazer. Coaches will love him because he plays well in any situation or role.

Edited by Brawndo

NS would have taken Fucale and Ehlers 1st overall too haha

Wrong!!  Ehlers, yes.  

FUCALE!!  I wanted that D.R. weasel to trade up to get him.  For a brief moment I thought he did, but then he took some other clown and the Habs grabbed him wit the next pick, I think.

He would have taken MacKinnon in 2013. He just didn't both to pump the tires on MacKinnon or Drouin because the Sabres had no chance to draft either guy, which is why he chose to pump up Fucale instead.

This is correct.  You have a good memory.

ZADINA!!

Tkachuk sounds like better Marcus Foligno... Idk how I feel about him. I want his skating to be better.

Speed isn’t everything. Look how effective KO has been playing on Jack’s wing. I’ll take decent wheels, which Brady has, combined with size and hi hockey IQ which Brady also has over simple speed. We need more players, like Tkachuk, that can play in any situation. We saw him thrive with Jack light (Mittelstadt) at the WJC. Why wouldn’t he thrive with the the real Jack?

We don’t want to grow into a soft speed only team. Who would you rather have Thachuk or Nylander. Montreal tried that and failed. We need to combine speed with a phyiscal presence. Boston might be the best current example.

GA had a name on his list that I first heard about this past weekend listening to a draft podcast.

Jonny Tychonick  5'11 LHD from the BCHL (same league as Makar). He is committed to UND.

He was viewed as easily the best player at the CJHL Prospect game last week. could go early 2nd round - though I read somewhere that some scouts think there is a possibility that he skyrockets, like Makar, and ends up a lottery pick.  

Edited by Crusader1969

Wahlstrom has been one of the best snipers to pass through the USNTDP. He has a very desirable combination of high-end skill and shot in a big body. Wahlstrom has the capability to carry a line due to his skill and creativity, and generates a lot of clean entries. He’s more of a shooter than a playmaker, but he can certainly make tough passes when he needs to. Wahlstrom can score from a distance and puts himself in spots to get one-timers on net, but his wrist shot is also deadly. His shots on goal totals this season are off the charts and equal to the best snipers to ever play in the USHL and/or USNTDP at his age. He’s OK defensively. I’ve seen him be passable on the PK, and while he can be strong on the puck, he’s not going to throw his body around a ton. He can skate fine, but sometimes he plays slower than he should. Having said that, he can get around the ice without issue.

Tkachuk or Wahlstrom?

From Pronman

Merkley, a former No. 1 overall pick in his OHL draft class, is one of the most skilled players in the draft class. Whenever Merkley gets the puck on his stick, he stands out with his hands and offensive IQ. He shows fantastic vision and has the composure to move the puck at an elite level. He also shows a high level of skill and while he won’t attempt end-to-end rushes like Ryan Murphy used to all the time, he can make a highlight reel skill play to open up space for his vision. Merkley skates at an elite level. With his style of play, he prefers to be more of an elusive skater than a guy who blazes through the neutral zone, though he does possess great speed. Now for his warts. Merkley is small, and can be a headache defensively with some of his decisions, coverage and physicality, although I’ve seen him lay out a huge hit here and there. He has severe ups and downs where he looks dominant one game and a major negative another. He can also let his emotions get the best of him.

Tkachuk has had a very good season between college and the World Junior Championship, continuing a trend of being one of the most important players on whatever team he’s on. He has one of the best physical games in the draft. He’s a strong 6-foot-3 forward who wins battles and bulldozes his way to the net as well as any teenager I’ve seen in the college ranks. Any scout I talk to will immediately heap praise on his competitiveness and the edge in his game. His skill isn’t dynamic, but he has good hands, a decent shot and makes smart plays with the puck. He can distribute the puck, but he’s not high-end in that regard. His skating is decent for a big man, enough that I’ve seen him turn the corner on a few defensemen; but at the same time, he’s not a blazer. Coaches will love him because he plays well in any situation or role.

Merkley is a huge gamble I think. can't deny his offensive ability but is often lost without the puck. Scouts comment on Merkley :"if you draft Merkley you are crossing your fingers and $hitting your pants. Will a scout have the conviction to put his job on the line and recommend him as a lottery pick? you better be sure"  

Wahlstrom has been one of the best snipers to pass through the USNTDP. He has a very desirable combination of high-end skill and shot in a big body. Wahlstrom has the capability to carry a line due to his skill and creativity, and generates a lot of clean entries. He’s more of a shooter than a playmaker, but he can certainly make tough passes when he needs to. Wahlstrom can score from a distance and puts himself in spots to get one-timers on net, but his wrist shot is also deadly. His shots on goal totals this season are off the charts and equal to the best snipers to ever play in the USHL and/or USNTDP at his age. He’s OK defensively. I’ve seen him be passable on the PK, and while he can be strong on the puck, he’s not going to throw his body around a ton. He can skate fine, but sometimes he plays slower than he should. Having said that, he can get around the ice without issue.

Tkachuk or Wahlstrom?

Tkachuk, no doubt about it. I think the Sabres could use someone who is a $hit disturber but can also play the game at a high level. Tkachuk will never take a night off.

Could you not change Wahsltrom's name to Nylanders draft profile? they read about the same to me (ok not the big body but everything else).

Merkley is a huge gamble I think. can't deny his offensive ability but is often lost without the puck. Scouts comment on Merkley :"if you draft Merkley you are crossing your fingers and $hitting your pants. Will a scout have the conviction to put his job on the line and recommend him as a lottery pick? you better be sure"

The funny part is in the comment section, Pronman responded he would not be surprised in Merkley drops into the 20’s or into the second round

The funny part is in the comment section, Pronman responded he would not be surprised in Merkley drops into the 20’s or into the second round

the commentators on the CHL prospects game said that Merkley's team interviews will be extremely important to his draft position. He kinda reminds me a little of Josh Ho Sang. Pure skill but teams will be questioning whats going on in his head. Hopefully Merkley owns a much better alarm clock than Ho-Sang. 

That being said, if Sabres get another pick in the 20's and Merkley is on the board, I have no issue taking a chance on him.

Tkachuk or Wahlstrom?

I don't see  Tkachuck as much of a scorer type, a better foligno seems accurate and you don't make that a top 10 pick.

Watching the player introduction for the AHL all star game. Some interesting names I remember that from the 2015/16 draft board. can't remember who wanted Rasmus Anderson and Mitch Vande Sompel but both are now all stars

Also, Brady Austin is an all star the season after the Sabres let him walk

Dylan Storm is there too. Can I say again, thank God for a successful tank!

Edited by Crusader1969

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.