2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

So a franchise defencemen, a take-charge modern shutdown guy who could one day be his partner (or be this year's McCabe) and a bunch of shots in the dark.

I'll take that. There is still plenty of time to fill holes and push guys like Okposo and Zemgus down to the 3rd and 4th lines. Franchise is reloaded with Dmen top to bottom. And they need to find a #1, or #1B, or really solid and reliable #2 goalie soon, before that market dries up. 

Looking forward to seeing if you have anything on our last three picks.

Perhaps the most obscure trio the Sabres have ever taken in one draft.

To be truthful I don't. Metaj I'd heard of and seen some on. Everything after... not really. There were players taken after though I did like. I'll try to research on guys at some point but they are long shots either way. I would have preferred an over-ager get taken late by Buffalo.

I was surprised Adam Samuelsson didn’t get drafted. The kid is a monster who can still skate. It will be interesting to see what he does at BC. His ratings fell as the season progressed, but I’m still surprised he wasn’t drafted considering he was at the USNTDP and is Ulf’s son. He is also 6’5” 240 already.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I was surprised Adam Samuelsson didn’t get drafted. The kid is a monster who can still skate. It will be interesting to see what he does at BC. His ratings fell as the season progressed, but I’m still surprised he wasn’t drafted considering he was at the USNTDP and is Ulf’s son. He is also 6’5” 240 already.

I don't think I'd want him to get any bigger :unsure:

He's related to the other Samuelsson, Sjell or something like that

I think this draft was mediocre and the Sabres made some misses. I say made because that's what they did. Samuelsson is fine and I am okay with that pick. After that there is some questionable drafting. Pekar I don't mind but would have drafted someone else. Kronholm and Kreu do nothing for me but at least Kreu scored some points in his j20 league. Kukkonen I kinda like but again seems like an NHL long shot and I mean longer than the 10%  chance this round is.

Here is who I would have taken:

at 94, Jonathan Gruden.

at 117, Milos Roman.

at 125, Cole Fonstad (the fact they passed on him is mind boggling to me. This might be there biggest miss. You don't just go ppg in the CHL because of luck. The kid had legitimate talent and skill and we passed on him. I would have taken him at 94 or 117 but to pass on him also at 125 just is baffling. Analytically his cohort of similar players has a 30% success rate in the NHL according to CanucksArmy which is a hell of a lot better than the 8-10% rate of this round typically.)

at 187, take Kukkonen... or take him at 156 (dont make a weird ass trade) and Kreu at 187, they both would have been there at those times. 

That's my feeling.  I think the Sabres overshot on their Swedish defender obsession and left some good strong talent laying around. Only Fonstad and Roman btw are a CHL guys. 

I think this draft was mediocre and the Sabres made some misses. I say made because that's what they did. Samuelsson is fine and I am okay with that pick. After that there is some questionable drafting. Pekar I don't mind but would have drafted someone else. Kronholm and Kreu do nothing for me but at least Kreu scored some points in his j20 league. Kukkonen I kinda like but again seems like an NHL long shot and I mean longer than the 10%  chance this round is.

Here is who I would have taken:

at 94, Jonathan Gruden.

at 117, Milos Roman.

at 125, Cole Fonstad (the fact they passed on him is mind boggling to me. This might be there biggest miss. You don't just go ppg in the CHL because of luck. The kid had legitimate talent and skill and we passed on him. I would have taken him at 94 or 117 but to pass on him also at 125 just is baffling. Analytically his cohort of similar players has a 30% success rate in the NHL according to CanucksArmy which is a hell of a lot better than the 8-10% rate of this round typically.)

at 187, take Kukkonen... or take him at 156 (dont make a weird ass trade) and Kreu at 187, they both would have been there at those times. 

That's my feeling.  I think the Sabres overshot on their Swedish defender obsession and left some good strong talent laying around. Only Fonstad and Roman btw are a CHL guys. 

Fonstad was passed on 127 times before he was taken, so it wasn't just the Sabres. 

And 1 last addition. Overager Linus Nyman went undrafted... again. He's going back to play in Liiga next season. I think this is a miss as well because he has produced at every level for every team he has played for. Going back to Liiga he would have been safely a Sabre prospect for several more years. 

Fonstad was passed on 127 times before he was taken, so it wasn't just the Sabres. 

I dislike takes like this. Nic Lidstrom was passed on 52 times. Henrik Zetterberg was passed on 209 times. Just because a team passes doesn't mean they should. There is a risk reward threshold for a guy like Fonstad that would have been passed for me in round 3. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

I can completely respect you not agreeing with some picks and I like the insight on who you would have taken but let's wait a bit to see how these guys develop.  I mean, you have concerns outside of the top 2 picks, but they didn't even pick again until the 4th friggen round!  At that point in the draft every single one of those players have some major concerns.  I know your a draft nut (said in a positive light) and I do respect your opinion on players.  But once you get outside of the top 40 or 50 guys it's a pretty big crapshoot.

That's why production and analytics are important but not the end all be all. They help you unearth players that get passed on but shouldn't be. Whether you are a defender or forward, the ones that make it almost ALL produced at the junior level to some degree. There are very few exceptions and they usually involve a player being injured. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.