2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

He's easily Eichel tier of a prospect. 

Rasmus Dahlin is at or above the tier of prospect that Jack Eichel was.

7 goals and a +4 in 41 Swedish Elite League games doesn't scream generational talent to me.

Former Amerk, Matt Donovan, had more points than him on the same team.    

No. This isn't a maybe thing. Rasmus Dahlin is easily at Jack Eichel level of prospect. He does things with the puck that are unbelievable. He has excellent everything.  Rasmus Dahlin is at or above Jack Eichel as a prospect. 

I agree that he does things that are unbelievable and that he's excellent at everything. 

I agree that it might be true that he's that tier prospect. 

It is unquestionably true that the "G" word was used for Jack Eichel the prospect far more often than it has been for Rasmus Dahlin. 

SHL and big ice make it incredibly hard to compare the two side by side. 

It's really not a point worth arguing though, so I'll stop here :) 

Don't get me wrong, I would take him first all day long.... but watching him play I don't think he's going to be as good as some forecast.    I don't think a guy like that really moves the needle much on a team like Buffalo.

I get what you are saying too, but for me it’s the opposite. On a team like Buffalo so bereft of defenceman, a guy like Dahlin would probably have even greater value here than most other places.

No. This isn't a maybe thing. Rasmus Dahlin is easily at Jack Eichel level of prospect. He does things with the puck that are unbelievable. He has excellent everything.  Rasmus Dahlin is at or above Jack Eichel as a prospect.

It’s fine to come to that conclusion individually, but I think Jack was viewed at least as highly as a prospect. As Flagg said, generational was a common refrain. They said he’d go first overall in most of the draft years immediately preceding his.

He’s not generational, but I still like his chances of being that true “worthy of a first overall pick” guy. He’s already better than some of the previous top picks, and his early career compares favourably to Mackinnon.

So now that the Bills got Allen, I guess we can assume Montreal wins the lottery with Det 2nd and the Rags 3rd

We’ll then draft Boqvist at 4th and he’ll come over in 3 years maybe.

Toronto will win it. Somehow, someway, Toronto will win it. And we will draft the equivalent of Allen: Tkachuck

So now that the Bills got Allen, I guess we can assume Montreal wins the lottery with Det 2nd and the Rags 3rd

If I've learned anything as a Sabres fan, it's patience.

Buffalo will win it. Somehow, someway, Buffalo will win it. And we will draft the equivalent of Allen: Dahlin.

fixed?

Nah, the Bills taking Allen isn't like the Sabres losing the lottery. It's like drafting #2 and taking some guy who should go in the 20s.

But I think one can still be disappointed if their hopes don’t come to fruition, even if they aren’t expectations.

This is why I’ll be fairly disappointed if we don’t get top 3. I’ll actually be disappointed if we don’t get top 2.

We just don’t know the bolded to be true in any way, particularly given the recent drafting history of this team. To assume the guy we pick at 4 will be a cornerstone player is folly. Who knows what’ll happen. By all accounts the rankings are all over the place after pick 2. It’s a crap shoot.

I want to win Dahlin and the righteousness that comes with it. If Svechnikov is still considered a lock at 2, I’ll be happy with 2nd too.

If we pick 3rd, it’s 50/50 we’re lamenting the pick in a few years.

I think the guys after 2 are all over the place because each of them are expected to be excellent prospects. Zadina, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson and Bouchard.   But yes, getting into the top 2 would be sweet!

I don't think the odds of 3 or 4 not hitting are much lower than 50/50. This is a strong draft right through 8 or 9.

I will admit, I'm doing backflips if they win this thing.

Edited by Crusader1969

Svechnikov's skillset is a weird superposition of scaring me and being super appealing to me. The way he scores his goals near and around the net can be untranslatable (of course a guy who's physically dominant can do that in juniors against 16 year olds, but I need to see more from him that'll be successful in a division with Chara/Hedman/Weber and other great, strong NHL defenders) and yet exactly what you look for (just imagine that guy around all the hectic netfront plays that Eichel creates and nobody has been able to cash in on yet)

Svechnikov's skillset is a weird superposition of scaring me and being super appealing to me. The way he scores his goals near and around the net can be untranslatable (of course a guy who's physically dominant can do that in juniors against 16 year olds, but I need to see more from him that'll be successful in a division with Chara/Hedman/Weber and other great, strong NHL defenders) and yet exactly what you look for (just imagine that guy around all the hectic netfront plays that Eichel creates and nobody has been able to cash in on yet)

That’s what I mean, even the consensus #2 seemingly has their fair share of concerns.

It’s all about Dahlin!

Here we are on Rasmus Eve and I'll tell you I believe in manifesting what I think into a reality. I've done it many times in my own life. Put it out there to the universe and it will become a reality. Get on it boys and girls. Think positive. We can do it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.