2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

Yeah but I meant on this board. They just linked an article for fun I think, don't think anyone here is taking that seriously 

Before the draft there are 100% going to be trade and/or trade down suggestions, if not something like "trade that quitting turd ROR for a Dman and draft Svechnikov." Bank on it.

Before the draft there are 100% going to be trade and/or trade down suggestions, if not something like "trade that quitting turd ROR for a Dman and draft Svechnikov." Bank on it.

The only person I'm interested in trading that has remotely any value would be Nylander

Sure. I'm just saying, prepare yourself for absurdity surrounding the pick right up until Dahlin is standing on stage holding a Sabres jersey.

Drink it in, people. Dahlin is going to be a Sabre.

We are getting DAHLIN! Still can barely believe it.

Stopped at 56. Thought about going to 60 but felt good at 56. Some players are lower on this list then on actual rankings but that is because I wouldn't draft those players for various reasons. Some players did not make the list at all even though they are in the top 45 of most other lists because they can't skate or have skating questions. There are a few over-agers on the list because they are worth taking. I also probably missed someone who should be on the list. $#!t happens. 

post-4822-0-07881500-1525268415_thumb.png

post-4822-0-20623100-1525268420_thumb.png

Edited by Skurk Liger

Good read for those still looking at the draft. 

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/05/04/2018-nhl-draft-spring-rankings/

Also this big news...

Mike McMahon @MikeMcMahonCHN
FollowFollow @MikeMcMahonCHN
More

Told that Brady Tkachuk will return to BU for his sophomore season. The Terriers were going after a grad transfer who was told the offer was no longer available due to Tkachuk returning.

8:52 AM - 8 May 2018
Edited by Skurk Liger

Good read for those still looking at the draft. 

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/05/04/2018-nhl-draft-spring-rankings/

Also this big news...

Mike McMahon @MikeMcMahonCHN
FollowFollow @MikeMcMahonCHN
More

Told that Brady Tkachuk will return to BU for his sophomore season. The Terriers were going after a grad transfer who was told the offer was no longer available due to Tkachuk returning.

8:52 AM - 8 May 2018

It may or may not be Sabre draft pick Max Willman.  He was listed earlier in the week as being a done deal to transfer to BU.  But anyway, Tkachuk could easily change his mind depending on who drafts him.  He wouldn't be the first or the last player to do that.

Scott Wheeler’s Top 100 for the Athletic

Plus his description of Dahlin

1. Rasmus Dahlin – LHD, Frolunda, 6-foot-2

A couple of weeks ago, I broke down what makes Dahlin so unique. The truth is, what sets him apart is the unknown. Dahlin’s combination of lateral quickness, ability as a goal-scoring threat and skating create a player who is dynamic enough to potentially become the league’s best offensive defenceman. In a league where true No. 1 defencemen are at more of a premium than they’ve perhaps ever been, Dahlin has that kind of raw upside — and then some. In a country that has produced a good percentage of the NHL’s best defenders, Dahlin has shattered records. He is one of the most gifted defencemen to enter the draft in decades and a transformational talent that could make him a perennial Norris Trophy contender.

post-3436-0-90894100-1525801886_thumb.png

post-3436-0-18143600-1525801897_thumb.png

post-3436-0-85479900-1525801907_thumb.png

Interesting that the article calls Ty Dellandrea a two-way center but then says he "lacks ... intuition at times in the defensive zone..."

He's very young. Won't by 18 until July. Played on a garbage team. He's an interesting prospect at 32.

Corey Pronman Write Up on Dahlin

The Dahlin Tier

1. Ramus Dahlin, D, Frolunda-SHL

April 13, 2000 | 6-foot-2 | 181 pounds

GP: 41 | Goals: 7 | Points: 20 | Shoots: Left

Skating: 60

Puck Skills: 70

Physical Game: 55

Hockey sense: 70

Dahlin is one of the best defense prospects of the modern era as a first-year draft eligible player. He looks special on the ice, whether it was logging top-four minutes in the Swedish Hockey League, being a power play man for Sweden’s national team or being the top defenseman at the world juniors, all at the age of 17. His skill and IQ rank among the very best in the class. He can play at such a quick pace and make highly creative plays versus pros which at his age is unusual. What stands out to me is not his elite skill but his elite awareness. He understands how to attack defenses so well and attempts things I don’t see players his age try. He sees gaps in coverage before they develop, makes great feeds, knows how to angle guys out and when to go for a risky play. He also has a low panic threshold and doesn’t tend to force plays. He’s a very good skater who, while not exceptionally fast, has good speed and is very agile for a player his size. His decisions aren’t perfect at the highest of levels, but given his age and position, one can afford to give him a few mulligans. His offense is what will get him picked at the top of the class, but he is quite good defensively, as he battles hard, is physical and plays a quiet position game. While defense projections are riskier than forwards, he has the potential to be a franchise defenseman.

Here is his description of his rating system

To help illustrate player’s strengths and weaknesses, each player profiles has the grading scale I use for players’ attributes. For the past decade, I’ve used the 20-80 scouting scale internally. This year, I decided to publish grades for each prospect I’ve ranked. In the past, I’ve held back doing this because it tended to lead to confusion (I wrote on ESPN that I gave Jack Eichel a 60 on his skating, which is a huge compliment, and got the wrath of Buffalo fans who didn’t understand it). But I decided to give it one more shot and see how The Athletic audience responds to it.

There are many articles written about the scale, borrowed from baseball, but I’ll summarize it as best as I can quickly.

The 20-80 range represents three standard deviations from the mean, a grade of 50. A grade of 50 means the skill projects as NHL average in that category 55 above-average, 60 is top 33 percent, 70 is top 5 percent, 80 is one of the best of all-time. A 45 is below-average, 40 is fringe NHL level. A 20 is beer league level. Given how a normal distribution usually looks, most grades are within the 40-60 range. I almost never assign an 80 unless it’s Connor McDavid’s skating. In this draft, for example, I gave a handful of 70 grades out, which is standard.

Every player profile will include a grade on skating, puck skills, physical game and hockey sense. Broadly speaking, skating refers to a player’s speed, their edge work, their first few strides and stride mechanics. Puck skills refers to a player’s ability to control the puck, make skilled plays and create offense with his hands. Physical game refers to a player’s work ethic on the ice and how they do in physical battles. Hockey sense is a little tougher to define. It ranges from a player’s playmaking ability, to their decision making, to their two-way awareness with an emphasis on how they create offense.

You’ll notice I haven’t included attributes like shot and character. They are important, but in my opinion, the four attributes I mentioned are the core things that drive a player’s value. However, those other attributes will be evaluated, discussed and, if any rise to the level of exceptionally great or poor, will have a significant impact on the player’s evaluation. I include shot grades for players whose shots are so valuable they significantly skew their ranking.

Dellandrea and Hallander are really the two players I think have a shot of being available at 32 and the 2 players I want there. I think Rasmus Sandin will be long gone. I haven't seen a mock where he doesn't go between 18 and 24. That said Dellandrea is my go to at #32. If available he should be the pick. 

Dellandrea: "He was consistently one of the hardest working players on the ice."

https://thehockeywriters.com/ty-dellandrea-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Dellandrea and Hallander are really the two players I think have a shot of being available at 32 and the 2 players I want there. I think Rasmus Sandin will be long gone. I haven't seen a mock where he doesn't go between 18 and 24. That said Dellandrea is my go to at #32. If available he should be the pick. 

Dellandrea: "He was consistently one of the hardest working players on the ice."

https://thehockeywriters.com/ty-dellandrea-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Really liking what I've been reading about Dellandrea.

Here is the final 31 from ISS.

https://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-31/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.