Training camp questions: #1 Is Scandella a first-pairing defenceman?

dudacek

Going to post one of these a day in September in an effort to spark some hockey talk.

Last year at this time we hoped we had acquired the missing piece with Dimitri Kulikov.

Oh, how disappointed we were.

This year, we are pinning our hopes on Scandella to be that two-way, all-situations 22-minute compliment to Ristolainen we so desperately need. Can he do the job?

Going to post one of these a day in September in an effort to spark some hockey talk.

Last year at this time we hoped we had acquired the missing piece with Dimitri Kulikov.

This year, we are pinning our hopes on Scandella to be that two-way, all-situations 22-minute compliment to Ristolainen we so desperately need. Can he do the job?

I vote yes. I think the need was for a top4 D that could play big minutes and Scandella can fit that bill. 

TCQ's! 

I think Scandella will be given every opportunity to be the guy with Risto on the first pair. I think he will be pushed and pushed hard by McCabe. Baloo I could toss in there but I think he projects more to be a Risto type of defender with his eyes on the offense so I might not want to pair him with Rasmus. Scandella is the guy with the job to lose probably. 

I just listed 2 new defenders than are better than Franson, Gorges, and Faulk that are on the team now  :wub:

From everything I've read on Marco, he seems to be a horse.

Excellent skater, physical, big shot, engaged and smart.

I think he can handle the minutes and provide some stability.

I'm not sure he is good enough to be a difference maker, but I hope he can help Risto to get there.

He will definitely be the best partner Risto has ever had.

Edited by dudacek

From everything I've read on Marco, he seems to be a horse.

Excellent skater, physical, big shot, engaged and smart.

I think he can handle the minutes and provide some stability.

I'm not sure he is good enough to be a difference maker, but he hope he can help Risto to get there.

He will definitely be the best partner Risto has ever had.

That's what excites me.  Bots mentioned that he thought Scandella could play a bigger role in Buffalo than he did in Minny.

That's what excites me.  Bots mentioned that he thought Scandella could play a bigger role in Buffalo than he did in Minny.

You have to remember he was behind Suter in Minny, one of the biggest ice-time eaters in the league. He was never going to get the chance there that he will be givenhere.

I'm kinda optimistic on Marco.

I know people here have differing opinions on Garth (I generally like his stuff, although he's certainly whiffed on a number of things), but here's his 2 cents:  http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Scandella-less/6/87137

Will Fletcher and the Wild miss Scandella, the nephew of former NHLer Sergio Momesso?

“Absolutely,” said Fletcher. “The one question mark – we traded Marco Scandella. Marco is a heck of a hockey player. He and Suter probably our Top 2 D (in the playoffs). We had a Big 5, as I used to call them, and now we have a Big 4.

Have the Sabres ever had a guy named Marco before?

In any case, there's a real possibility that he could elevate Risto's game, allow McCabe to anchor a very strong 2nd pair and generally be a significant difference-maker in team construction terms and hopefully #fancystats if not #simpletonstats.

And I'm getting psyched for hockey season too.

I'm kinda optimistic on Marco.

I know people here have differing opinions on Garth (I generally like his stuff, although he's certainly whiffed on a number of things), but here's his 2 cents:  http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Scandella-less/6/87137

Have the Sabres ever had a guy named Marco before?

Marcus is as close as it gets but there was a Marco that delivered Pizza's to the Aud on game day from Niagara St.

Not sure where Scandella fits in talent-wise. He'll be somewhere in the 2-4 category. Considering how young McCabe is & how much Bogosian's game elevates when paired w/ McCabe, have to believe Scandella will be given every opportunity to earn (defend) top pairing minutes. Especially because nobody else that might get paired w/ Ristolainen projects to a 2 either in this season.

Fully expect he'll fill the #2 role better than anybody did last year. Especially when you consider that the 2nd & 3rd pairing both should be expected to be adequate (at worst) in those roles. That should keep top pairing in the 22-24 minute range, not the 26+ we were seeing last year from guys not named Suter, Doughty, or Keith.

Sabres have never really had a true #1 (though Tallinder probaly was there at the end of '05-'06), though they've had true #2's: Schoenfeld, Zhitnik, & Hank most notably. If they do have 2 true #2's, we're in uncharted territory. So history would suggest he &/or Risto are really 3's, but they should be able to cover that top pairing well enough.

And Pominville will probably play a point on PP. Baloo is also a power play guy so lots of competition to get on the leagues number one power play

Just named 2 players for the 2nd pp unit. 

1st pp: Risto, Eichel, ROR, Okposo, Reinhart

2nd pp: Baloo, Scandella/McCabe, Kane, Pommers, Larsson or someone else. Moulson maybe. 

At this point I am assuming that all of our D men are going to be playing one role up from where they should be ideally.  2nd pair playing 1st pair minutes for example.

It's an improvement over guys playing 2 roles up like the last few seasons. 

Hopefully the new system being installed compensates for this somewhat.

Will be interesting to see where he slots on our PowerPlay.    

He might push Risto to the 2nd unit.

If there's one thing they shouldn't touch it's the #1 power play unit.

I expect to see Scandella and Pommers on the 2nd Power Play unit.

I can't say I've seen much of him as a player but the natural fit seems to put him on the 1st pairing with Risto and then let the bottom two pairings being rounded out by some combination of McCabe, Bogo, Antipin and Baloo. Gorges can feel important in the corner.

This is all dependent upon him not breaking his ass on an open bench door in training camp.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.