Training camp questions: #1 Is Scandella a first-pairing defenceman?

dudacek

Liger is referencing a character from Jungle Book.

I was watching the animated Robin Hood with my nephew Patrick, age 5. I decide to troll my nephew "Pat, doesn't Friar Tuck look a lot like Baloo from Jungle Book?' 'Of course Uncle rake, they're played by the same actor.'

As it turns out, Patrick was right, Disney was drawing their characters to look like the voice actors, and Baloo and Friar Tuck were played by the same actor.

On this team, Baloo is simply a bare necessity ... Edited by Neo

Liger is referencing a character from Jungle Book.

I was watching the animated Robin Hood with my nephew Patrick, age 5. I decide to troll my nephew "Pat, doesn't Friar Tuck look a lot like Baloo from Jungle Book?' 'Of course Uncle rake, they're played by the same actor.'

As it turns out, Patrick was right, Disney was drawing their characters to look like the voice actors, and Baloo and Friar Tuck were played by the same actor.

Phil Harris was Baloo & Friar Tuck? Must be tired, could've sworn he was Little John rather that Friar Tuck. :doh:

With our depth, quite possibly.  Realistically no, he's more likely a second pairing defensemen.  However, he's a smooth skating two way defensemen that will open up the ice and push the tempo more than we've been used to with potential partners for Ristolainen (no offense to McCabe).  He'll bring a different element to our roster for sure.  I am excited to just see a more well rounded product.  I am sure I'm not the only one tired of seeing the left side of McCabe, Gorges, Falk and other riff raff.  

So before we even become a contender, we are going to have to acquire 2 or 3 more Defenceman better than Scandella, assuming that Ristolainen is better right now.

So, what's the time line then, 5-7 years? Assuming Scandella can still play at that point.

Maybe Guhle gets there. Still need another 2. Looks like we are up the creek without a paddle.

It's a step in the right direction.   The hope is that a few of these guys develop into legit top 4 guys, otherwise the search will continue.    They need a stud #1 guy, right now Risto is the closest they have to that, but he's not a top 25 defenseman in the league at this stage of his career.       

It's a step in the right direction.   The hope is that a few of these guys develop into legit top 4 guys, otherwise the search will continue.    They need a stud #1 guy, right now Risto is the closest they have to that, but he's not a top 25 defenseman in the league at this stage of his career.       

I don't think they need a stud. I think you need a group of 4 players that are roughly interchangeable. Scandella, McCabe, Risto might be 3. Baloo and Antipin have the chance to fill out that foursome. 

There have been a few examples where solid young vet defensemen have moved into a lager role alongside a young stud D and it has helped both players excel.  Think Stralman and Hedman or Karlson once Methot came over from CBJ.  I know both are a little older but Paul Martin has played a massive, often uncredited role, in Brent Burns' explosion over the past couple seasons.

Here's to Scandella being that guy for Risto.

Hat tip to this post. Good stuff, Stu.

I don't think they need a stud. I think you need a group of 4 players that are roughly interchangeable. Scandella, McCabe, Risto might be 3. Baloo and Antipin have the chance to fill out that foursome. 

You don't need an elite #1 D to compete and make the playoffs but it sure helps win a Cup. Very interested to see if Risto can continue to get better.

You don't need an elite #1 D to compete and make the playoffs but it sure helps win a Cup. Very interested to see if Risto can continue to get better.

We just have to wait for Mittelstadt to get here and save us. He'll blow past Eichel and O'Reilly as #1 center on our depth chart while also supplanting Ristolainen as our #1 Defensemen. I hear he'll also replace Lehner in net during shootouts, while curing AIDS in his spare time.

So it has been written. So it shall be done.

This is what I'm hoping. I'm thinking Scandella can be a 3 on a contender, not a 4 or 5, which makes contention a more reasonable outcome.

I think our best bet in the not-too-distant future is to try and field a D with something like 4 2s/3s rather than one with a true #1 stud. Ristolainen can be a 2. Maybe Guhle. Our best hope is that McCabe continues developing and Scandella shows he has another level to his game. Throw in a couple 3/4s and I wouldn't rule out a possible future D looking something like:

McCabe - Ristolainen

Scandella - Antipin

Guhle - Borgen

Just threw Borgen is as he's probably our best RHD prospect. Who knows if he makes it.

Edited by Thorny

This is what I'm hoping. I'm thinking Scandella can be a 3 on a contender, not a 4 or 5, which makes contention a more reasonable outcome.

I think our best bet in the not-too-distant future is to try and field a D with something like 4 2s/3s rather than one with a true #1 stud. Ristolainen can be a 2. Maybe Guhle. Our best hope is that McCabe continues developing and Scandella shows he has another level to his game. Throw in a couple 3/4s and I wouldn't rule out a possible future D looking something like:

McCabe - Ristolainen

Scandella - Antipin

Guhle - Borgen

Just threw Borgen is as he's probably our best RHD prospect. Who knows if he makes it.

Would agree w/ the bolded. Especially when one considers that the Sabres next true #1 will also hold the distinction of being thier 1st true #1. (Using a definition of #1 that places only 10 or so in the league at any given time. Ristolainen could definitely grow into the role of one of the 30 best D-men in the league (it's also definitely possible that in he prime he's only one of the top 60 at best) but still not be a Victor Hedman type "true" #1.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.