Training camp questions: #1 Is Scandella a first-pairing defenceman?

dudacek

As others have mentioned, I think it is more than just Scandella, but the infusion of real NHL players means that our defense will be far more balanced this year. We won't need to hide AHL level talent and struggling vets, forcing Risto and McCabe to play half the game. That rising tide should improve every player on defense next year. :thumbsup:

As others have mentioned, I think it is more than just Scandella, but the infusion of real NHL players means that our defense will be far more balanced this year. We won't need to hide AHL level talent and struggling vets, forcing Risto and McCabe to play half the game. That rising tide should improve every player on defense next year. :thumbsup:

Good points. We should also have more depth once injuries hit, also.

Scandella? 

Yes, Scandella logged a -15 TRpm last season, which is worse than Kulikov (-10).    Minny had a great team last year, they were a +49 as a team, and Scandella played about 30% of the minutes.    You'd expect him to at least have a positive +/- but he was a -2 (actual +/-).  

Does he get tough matchups?  I don't know, but that's not a good season for him considering Ryan Suter logged the toughest minutes and put up +12 TRpm.   

That tells me Scandella is weak defensively.    

Edited by pi2000

On this roster he's a potential top pairing guy.   

On a contender is he's a 4th or 5th.

So Ron Hainsey, Trevor van Reimsdyk-level guy?

Yes, Scandella logged a -15 TRpm last season, which is worse than Kulikov (-10).    Minny had a great team last year, they were a +49 as a team, and Scandella played about 30% of the minutes.    You'd expect him to at least have a positive +/- but he was a -2 (actual +/-).  

Does he get tough matchups?  I don't know, but that's not a good season for him considering Ryan Suter logged the toughest minutes and put up +12 TRpm.   

That tells me Scandella is weak defensively.

Scandella typically logged 55-60 per cent D-zone starts in Minny, so his coaches didn't agree.

I think he can handle the minutes and provide some stability.

I think he can play with Risto on the "top pair," but I am not overly concerned with this because

when you consider that the 2nd & 3rd pairing both should be expected to be adequate (at worst) in those roles. That should keep top pairing in the 22-24 minute range, not the 26+ we were seeing last year from guys

We won't need to hide AHL level talent and struggling vets, forcing Risto and McCabe to play half the game. 

JBOT and PH are on record, I believe, saying that they don't want Riso anchoring a mega-minute top-pairing this season.

There have been a few examples where solid young vet defensemen have moved into a lager role alongside a young stud D and it has helped both players excel.  Think Stralman and Hedman or Karlson once Methot came over from CBJ.  I know both are a little older but Paul Martin has played a massive, often uncredited role, in Brent Burns' explosion over the past couple seasons.

Here's to Scandella being that guy for Risto.

On this roster he's a potential top pairing guy.   

On a contender is he's a 4th or 5th.

So before we even become a contender, we are going to have to acquire 2 or 3 more Defenceman better than Scandella, assuming that Ristolainen is better right now.

So, what's the time line then, 5-7 years? Assuming Scandella can still play at that point.

Maybe Guhle gets there. Still need another 2. Looks like we are up the creek without a paddle.

Liger is referencing a character from Jungle Book.

I was watching the animated Robin Hood with my nephew Patrick, age 5. I decide to troll my nephew "Pat, doesn't Friar Tuck look a lot like Baloo from Jungle Book?' 'Of course Uncle rake, they're played by the same actor.'

As it turns out, Patrick was right, Disney was drawing their characters to look like the voice actors, and Baloo and Friar Tuck were played by the same actor.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.