How much should Kane' s extension be?

I-90 W

95 members have voted

1. 1. How long should the exension be for?

• 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
  2. 2. How much $ should the extension offer be?

• $4.5 m
    • $5.5 m
    • $6.5 m
    • $7 m

Food for thought;

2016-2017

Kane 260 shots over 70 games for 3.7 shots per game - Shooting % 10.8

Eichel 249 shots over 61 game for 4.1 shots per game - Shooting % 9.6

2017-18

Kane 73 shots over 15 games for 4.9 shots per game - shooting % 12.3

Eichel 46 shots over 15 games for 3.1 shots per game - shooting % 8.7

Jack is clearly making Kane better.  He is getting Kane more opportunities and in better position.  Although Kane is clearly enjoying Wowie's system and playing on both special teams.  I'll even admit he has been the best player on the team YTD. (FYI: Jack has assisted on 2 of Kane's 3 shorties).  On the other hand, I think Jack is over thinking his play in this system.  He has become pass first instead of best play (shot or pass first). We aren't paying him to be Adam Oates.  The over 1 shot a game drop (or about 20%) coupled with the drop in shooting % show me that Jack is forcing his shot and not in his best position.  To me that is because he is deferring to Kane.  I think Jack needs to be a little more selfish.  I don't think it will really hurt Kane much if at all.  The only difference for Kane is that he'll have to crash the net more for rebound goals.  

Food for thought;

2016-2017

Kane 260 shots over 70 games for 3.7 shots per game - Shooting % 10.8

Eichel 249 shots over 61 game for 4.1 shots per game - Shooting % 9.6

2017-18

Kane 73 shots over 15 games for 4.9 shots per game - shooting % 12.3

Eichel 46 shots over 15 games for 3.1 shots per game - shooting % 8.7

Jack is clearly making Kane better.  He is getting Kane more opportunities and in better position.  Although Kane is clearly enjoying Wowie's system and playing on both special teams.  I'll even admit he has been the best player on the team YTD. (FYI: Jack has assisted on 2 of Kane's 3 shorties).  On the other hand, I think Jack is over thinking his play in this system.  He has become pass first instead of best play (shot or pass first). We aren't paying him to be Adam Oates.  The over 1 shot a game drop (or about 20%) coupled with the drop in shooting % show me that Jack is forcing his shot and not in his best position.  To me that is because he is deferring to Kane.  I think Jack needs to be a little more selfish.  I don't think it will really hurt Kane much if at all.  The only difference for Kane is that he'll have to crash the net more for rebound goals.  

I fully understand what you're saying but Eichel is IMO on another level of understanding hockey.  Passing is what you do when Kane is on your line to get goals.  If Eichel had Adam Oates on his line he would immediately switch roles.  Great players do what's needed to get the puck in the net.  

I think what is missing from the analysis is a focus on what the other teams are doing. They are focusing totally on Eichel and as such he sees Kane open more and passes to him more and this can become a habit. What they could use a little more of is Kane giving the puck back to Eichel rather than shooting. 

I wonder if I can trade him for Brock Boeser...

I think the only way Vancouver even considers this would be if Kane works out an extension with them prior to the trade going through. I'd do it though, even though our ride side is already stronger than the left.

I think you'd have to do 6 mil, then sign him to a multi-year deal the next week.

What if we sign him to a 1 year deal June 30th. Then on July 1 sign him to a multi-year deal... technically after July 1 he'd be in the last year of his new deal, then give him like 8 mil year one of that 2nd contract

I'm pretty sure this isn't allowed. Players who sign a 1 year deal can't be extended until January 1st of the season or something along those lines (going from memory, I'm too lazy to try to look it up). Nice outside the box thinking, but I don't think there's any way Kane signs a short term contract. 5 years is probably the shortest he'd take but given his injury history he might be looking at the full 7/8.

Edited by Drunkard

From the Vancouver media I know they have interest for sure. They have for years and are still dreaming about finding a winger for the Sedins, the only question I think would be if they think they can make a playoff run this year. That would determine whether they go for him or just wait for him to be a free agent and sign him then next year. 

I think what is missing from the analysis is a focus on what the other teams are doing. They are focusing totally on Eichel and as such he sees Kane open more and passes to him more and this can become a habit. What they could use a little more of is Kane giving the puck back to Eichel rather than shooting.

This is the perpetual problem with Kane. Once he gets the puck, the odds of it coming back are very small. I think of Eichel as a Malkin type talent. Malkin for his career scores almost a goal every other game and also sets up 1.5 goals for every goal he scores. Jack is a little below that pace so far. Last season he scored at .4 goals per game and assisted at 1.4. Not that far from Malkin.

However this season he is down to a goal every 4 games, but assisting at 2.5. This is way out of proportion. Jack and Wowie feel the same way. Both said after the Wash game and practice yesterday that Jack needs to shoot more, especially on the 2 on 1s. He needs to use his hard shoot to score/create rebounds. http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/08/sabres-notebook-eichel-knows-he-needs-to-shoot-more/. This is why I don‘t think it matters what the other team is doing. Jack is so strong on the puck he can create his own shot, which is a talent few in the NHL possess. Housley thinks the same thing.

I feel the writing is on the wall with EK. Just feel he would have been signed awhile back if the Sabres were truly wanting to keep him. It isn't like the Sabres can ink Kane and sell him on the tax breaks like Tampa Bay did with Stamkos with the unfair advantage they and other teams in more tax friendly states have in Gary's hard cap world.

JBot will maximize the return for EK and I predict he may try to attach a bad contract to the EK trade to help on that front as well.

Edited by (E5)

I feel the writing is on the wall with EK. Just feel he would have been signed awhile back if the Sabres were truly wanting to keep him. It isn't like the Sabres can ink Kane and sell him on the tax breaks like Tampa Bay did with Stamkos with the unfair advantage they and other teams in more tax friendly states have in Gary's hard cap world.

JBot will maximize the return for EK and I predict he may try to attach a bad contract to the EK trade to help on that front as well.

Any team that trades for Kane will be a contender or on the bubble trying to make the playoffs. They likely won't have thw cap space to add an anchor like Moulson and certainly won't have the desire to.

Dreger - Maybe the Duchene trade has sparked activity around the NHL. Maybe the time is now to move Evander Kane, but the sense I get from the #Sabres is that now is not the time.

Dreger - I have not heard if the #Sabres and Kane's agent are talking any type of contract extension right now

@WGR550
Dreger - I have not come across a team yet that would be willing to give Evander Kane a max-term contract (7-years) if he goes to unrestricted free agency. Things could change around the NHL if he continues to play the way he does and stay out of trouble. #Sabres

Funny story as an aside: anyone hear Hammy on WGR this morning? A rough transcript

WGR: "When do you think we'll know if the Sabres will to resign Kane"

Hammy: "Well I think the biggest indicator of them resigning him is if we trade him at the deadline."

No ###### ###### Paul
Edited by WildCard

I think EK gets traded close to the deadline for a huge return of prospects and picks from a contender.  We then resign him in free agency for 7 years 50 million.  We also will try to pad Okposa's stats and move him to free up cap room.  Unfortunately he is so bad with a ridiculous contract, we may not be able to move him.

I think EK gets traded close to the deadline for a huge return of prospects and picks from a contender.  We then resign him in free agency for 7 years 50 million.  We also will try to pad Okposa's stats and move him to free up cap room.  Unfortunately he is so bad with a ridiculous contract, we may not be able to move him.

The delusion is strong in this one.

Whoa - that's a bit of a stretch

Hockey News speculated that OIlers would be interested in Kane but Buffalo would have to take Nugent-Hopkins and his $6 million contract that runs to 2022

I actually would have interest in this trade, though I would need a high draft pick (lottery protected?) as well.

RNH would be a 3rd line centre and would allow Samson and Mittlestadt to be wingers. Though, the price tag on RHN is pretty steep.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.