How much should Kane' s extension be?

I-90 W

95 members have voted

1. 1. How long should the exension be for?

• 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
  2. 2. How much $ should the extension offer be?

• $4.5 m
    • $5.5 m
    • $6.5 m
    • $7 m

Kane was terrific in the half of the AZ game that I saw (which was the good half) and has had a very strong year so far.  If his teammates like him and if he works hard in practice -- neither of which we have any idea about -- I want to keep him.

Here's a question:  would the Sabres offer Kane $7.5MM x 4 years? 

And would Kane take it?

I would make that offer and Kane I would hope would accept.

Kane was terrific in the half of the AZ game that I saw (which was the good half) and has had a very strong year so far. If his teammates like him and if he works hard in practice -- neither of which we have any idea about -- I want to keep him.

Here's a question: would the Sabres offer Kane $7.5MM x 4 years?

And would Kane take it?

I don't see Kane taking a 4 year deal.

Given what went down in the Duchene deal I'd try to move him sooner than later for a similar type of haul. 

... That deal took months to come together, it was a rare 3 team deal, and I am still surprised it happened. The idea of repeating that right now or quickly is not reality. 

I only mean you can't hope to do it at the deadline. Last few years most teams have started to leverage deals at the deadline in the opposite direction knowing teams with assets are desperate to move them.  I think it's best to make the deal before xmas while a lot more teams still think they have a shot at the playoffs or a cup run.

FYI

http://www.tsn.ca/trade-bait-duchene-deal-puts-kane-atop-list-1.908350

In light of the Duchene trade, what is Kane worth?

Better question than those who wanted to trade him for the first 2nd rounder offered might think.

Kane has outscored Duchene over the past three years, including this one.

He’s tougher, as good a skater, as poor defensively a worse passer, is of a similar age and has a similar contract situation.

Edited by dudacek

I'm not sure if the Sabres would offer it, but I think Kane would take it. Lines him up for another good contract.

And I'm pretty sure I'd rather pay him that contract than something like $6m x7.

Unless you think we're 3 years away from being a playoff team with a good shot at advancing.  Then it becomes would I rather have Kane for the second half production of his contract - or the front half that gets wasted on the current construction - or just don't pay him at all since we're paying him huge money while we're not ready.

Kane is better then Duchene

In many ways he is, but his history will drop his price/marketability. imo a similar haul to Duchene is the most we could hope for. I'd do it, I simply don't trust him to be consistent and do think he is playing for the contract. Gambling on that not being the case isn't worth it given the state we are in. 

Jourdon LaBarber‏ @JourdonLaBarber 3m3 minutes ago

Since scoring his first goal on Dec. 3 of last season, Evander Kane has 29 even-strength goals in 72 games. That total ranks 2nd in the NHL over that span, trailing only Auston Matthews (32).

Realistically, I still believe we need to find a way to lock this guy up. He's an impact player at Even Strength. Legitimately among the league's best.

Edited by Thorny

In many ways he is, but his history will drop his price/marketability. imo a similar haul to Duchene is the most we could hope for. I'd do it, I simply don't trust him to be consistent and do think he is playing for the contract. Gambling on that not being the case isn't worth it given the state we are in. 

I think desperate teams have short memories.

I think desperate teams have short memories.

Especially since there's no long term commitment to acquiring him at this time since he's a pending UFA. Unfortunately that's likely to suppress his price on the trade market though too, but if enough teams are interested though it could still allow us to get decent trade value. I think he brings in a first at the deadline. Hopefully with a decent prospect as well.

I still prefer to keep Kane but if we're not seriously in the thick of the playoff hunt once the trade deadline approaches we should roll the dice and trade him then hope to re-sign him in free agency if they can work out a deal.

Keep in mind he's playing for a deal.

I know he always plays hard but he's extra motivated this year.

At the back of my mind is the fact he hasn't played more than 70 games in the last 5 years.

I would like to keep him but I think he will want too much. Even if the Sabres match the money I suspect he goes elsewhere.

He won't net a Duchene like basket because of his UFA status. 1st rounder + prospect?

“The interest is picking up, and part of that is the by-product of the three-way trade between Colorado, Nashville, and the Ottawa Senators,” noted Insider Darren Dreger during a Tuesday evening Insider Trading segment on TSN. “He’s also, as we know, a pending unrestricted free agent and he’s almost a point-per-game player with the Buffalo Sabres this year.

“There’s a connection with Phil Housley, so it’s possible that Jason Botterill and the Sabres at least consider the notion of an extension, but all around the National Hockey League believe that he will get traded and the interest is definitely there; but he’s so impactful for the Sabres it’s a tough deal to make right now.”

Kane is earning $6 million this season, with a cap hit of $5.25 million on his six-year, $31.5 million pact.

He does not have any trade protection in that contract, incidentally.

“There’s no question he’s an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year,” said Bob McKenzie during a Wednesday morning radio hit on Montreal’s TSN 690. “I think that the presumption at the beginning of this season was Kane is getting traded between now and the deadline, it’s just a matter of when and for what.

“The problem, and it’s a good problem to have, is he’s been amongst their very best players. He’s developed chemistry with Jack Eichel on the top line. Phil Housley, the new head coach, has come to trust him and like what’s he’s giving and vice versa. And he seems to be flourishing now.

“And quite frankly, in fairness to Kane, he was good last year. He really battled injuries last year. He played hurt a lot of the time. But he put up good numbers last year. In an otherwise brutal year in Buffalo, he was a productive player, and he’s very much that right now.

“So I don’t think – I’m not sure that Buffalo necessarily wants or expects to sign him long term. And he’s going to be looking for a raise. So I’ll probably default to maybe it’s more likely he gets traded, but I guess it gives pause to consider that if you’ve got Eichel and Kane going on this top line – I mean, you’ve got to be careful where you’re not into a perpetual situation here. What are you going to get for Evander Kane as a rental. And my guess is it’s probably future considerations. Well, how badly do the Buffalo Sabres need future considerations and how badly do they need somebody that can score 30 goals, and if healthy, like money in the bank or close to it.

“So I don’t know. That’s a tough one because the standard answer would be Evander Kane is getting traded out of Buffalo between now and the deadline, and the better he plays the more they’re going to get for him. But as I said, the flip side is what if he wants to stay, what if they want to keep him.

“So that’ll be an interesting one to monitor.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-and-mckenzie-explore-potential-of-sabres-trading-kane/

Edited by WildCard

Just because we trade him now, doesn't mean we can't re-sign him in the off-season.  

However, Duchene had two years left on his current deal and Kane has none.  Therefore, Kane might be viewed as just a rental and therefore command less then Duchene did now.  

If you are going to say this, be consistent. Duchene has two years left and then Kane as one. Or Duchene has 1 year left after this year and Kane does not. The way you word this it sounds like you get Duchene for basically 3 full seasons and that isn't accurate. Duchene is signed through the end of 2019. Kane is signed through the end of 2018. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.