Marco Scandella/Jason Pominville traded to Sabres for Ennis/Foligno

Brawndo

Okay, he can be on my team again.

Oh man I can't believe I miss Harry Neale.

Harry Neale was a fine national game analyst.  The problem was when he did Sabres games, especially against Canadian teams, he came across as biased against the Sabres.

Pominville is for the power play I'm guessing

And possibly the PK.

Somehow this just doesn't capture my imagination like the Pommer goals.

Does Pommer or Ennis have a better season? I think that is what will be most interesting this year. Who is going to drop the gloves for this team? Girgs can't fight and who knows with Kane. We gained some speed in the off-season but man, pretty soft team overall as far as I can see.

McCabe is a pretty rugged guy.

Deslauriers can throw, right?

Will he even be on the NHL roster?

But more importantly, in trading Pominville and trading Pominville... this is going to mess up my chart of what we acquired as part of the deconstruction of the old core.

Not really.  You have Darcy Pommer and JBot Pommer.  Two totally different players.  Darcy Pommer was part of the rotten core.  JBot Pommer is a role-playing veteran taking over Gio's spot.

Don't you blaspheme in here.

blaspheme_blues_brothers.gif

:w00t:

safe to say that adding Pommer and Vanek as a UFA frees up trading Kane and they should replace his lost offense. I love a line of Jack with both Pommer and Vanek...and trading Kane should bring either young prospects or draft picks (or both)...and yeah obviously no Shattenkirk

If that line happens and it clicks, it will be a huge hit with the fan base.  I can hear the cheers now.

So, my day, which was quite awesome and not over yet consisted of ...

errands ... work ... Friday Prayers ... meeting at the mosque after prayers ... drop off two donation boxes (TP, toothpaste, toothbrushes ...) at a church that runs a soup kitchen for the homeless ... check on my friends house (he's in Africa now) ... pick up a donation from an Imam of another local mosque to send to my friend in Africa ... errands ... back to work ... check Sabrespace ... BIG TRADE ANNOUNCED (I like it a lot) ... back to work ...

Minnesota fans are not happy with this. 

You are correct.

Trash. Fletch gets bent over again by BUF.

Why dude.. why... He can sign + attract guys here but dear lord... this was TRASH.. for Scandella ? Wow.

could be that they talked and that he informed them he had better offers, but also hasn't this deal been brewing for a while now? There's been talk of the wild and sabres working on a deal for asking or longer then the interest in shattenkirk rumors. Maybe they want both? It allows them to dump bogo and gorges for whomever is willing to take on the contracts. Maybe this move also convinces shattenkirk that they are in a win now mode instead of wasting a bunch of years for the devils to get back to a playoff contender status?

I think it also plays into the process of signing Jack and Samson:  "We fired the coach you hated.  We fired the GM that wasn't getting the right players in here.  Look at the trades JBot is making to set you up.  The winning starts now."

Wild GM Chuck Fletcher on Marcus Foligno: " We’ve been chasing Marcus Foligno for a couple seasons now." #Sabres

So they think Foligno is the prize in this trade.

Hmm.

I haven't had a chance to read the 9 pages of thoughts. My initial reaction is that the Sabres are better today then yesterday. Assuming everyone is healthy the Sabres are much better on D with a solid defensive D and Pommers even in his diminished form improves the depth on the wing, brings real leadership and a real appreciation for Buffalo and it's fans.

Ennis and Foligno won't be missed on the ice.

Biggest issue is the amount of money we have taken on for next season. I assume the fact that Gorges will be gone after next season and Moulson will at worst be waived helps pay for it.

Sign Vanek

No thank you.  We need to move away from trading/signing for glass half full players.  Mainly in the sense that his numbers are just empty stat filler.  I really don't want to see Vanek back unless it's for dirt cheap on a one year deal.  I'm happy in the sense that Ennis is leaving, and I do wish him luck.  He was always the best player working his tail off on bad Nolan teams in year one and two of the Murray lock out.  He needs a change of pace.  Foligno was a heart and soul depth player, going to make upwards of 2.75-3M per season, for what?  Hitting .....pass. 

Scandella has his warts, and that's the name of the game.  But, this is just such a solid move.  Even the pick involvement is minimal. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

My two cents:

- I too will miss Foligno. His talents were limited but he was still a solid player and a very good soldier and he gave us everything he had.

– still, this trade seems like a definitive upgrade for the Sabres. I thought Minnesota was a deep-pocketed team, but this just seems like an asset sale for them. Perhaps they needed to free up cap space for a big move tomorrow.

– It is possible that Ennis finds his game and emerges as the best player in the trade, but this is realistically at best a 30% chance. If not, Toni Lydman 2.0 is clearly the best player in the trade.

– Speaking of which, Scandella is 6'3", 205, can skate and has played between 18 and 21 minutes per game for a playoff team for the last few years. That sounds like a lock for at least #3 in the Sabres' rotation, and quite likely Risto's partner.

– JBott has now turned over three of the Sabres' top six in a few weeks on the job -- and without mortgaging the family farm to do so. Pretty solid work.

-- Pommer never should've been made captain here, but he was a good little player for quite a period of time. I sure hope he has something left in the tank. We should not assume that he does – he had 11 and 13 goals in his last two seasons, and it sounds like he's lost a step. Still, I am about a million times happier to bring him back then I would be with bringing back Vanek, especially if this is what it took to get a good defenseman.

No thank you. We need to move away from trading/signing for glass half full players. Mainly in the sense that his numbers are just empty stat filler. I really don't want to see Vanek back unless it's for dirt cheap on a one year deal. I'm happy in the sense that Ennis is leaving, and I do wish him luck. He was always the best player working his tail off on bad Nolan teams in year one and two of the Murray lock out. He needs a change of pace. Foligno was a heart and soul depth player, going to make upwards of 2.75-3M per season, for what? Hitting .....pass.

Scandella has his warts, and that's the name of the game. But, this is just such a solid move. Even the pick involvement is minimal.

Nope. Have to disagree. Vanek would be great here. The guy still has a nose for the net, something we still need, especially on shootouts. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Bogo has to go

Make this happen, and I can live with Moulson Light for the next few seasons.  Who really would have thought that Ennis being protected meant trading him for a better player in an area (even strength scoring) could have happened.  Bogosian to where is the real question.  Arizona?!?

Edited by TheCerebral1

Make this happen, and I can live with Moulson Light for the next few seasons.  Who really would have thought that Ennis being protected meant trading him for a better player in an area (even strength scoring) could have happened.  Bogosian to where is the real question.  Arizona?!?

I think... maybe if we keep Bogosian for this season and let Housley whisper him into competent top 4 (or at least let other GMs see the renewed potential). Then we can move him next season. Right now he'd be sell low. We can get Bogo higher.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.