Marco Scandella/Jason Pominville traded to Sabres for Ennis/Foligno

Brawndo

So, if yesterday's rumors that Vanek might be back tomorrow are true, they can ice:

Baptiste/UFA O'Reilly Okposo

Bailey Eichel Vanek

Kane Reinhart Pominville

Girgensons Larsson Fasching

Baptiste/ Deslauriers spare

Scandella Ristolainen

McCabe Bogosian

Beaulieu Antipin

Gorges spare

Lehner

Johnson/Ullmark

Find a LW for O'Reilly & Okposo & that is a playoff roster. Moulson can either be an extra spare or in Ra-cha-cha. Which now has Falk, Fudun, Guhle, & probably Nelson as it's top 4. So it may not be tire tire fire it's been since Donner the Hutt brought the Swamp Cats into the parent club mix.

Not thrilled that Pominville has 2 years left, but at least he can be useful on a 3rd line, kill penalties, play 2nd pp minutes and slide into top 2 lines if necessary & not kill you. Ennis saves ~1MM but can only do 1 of those things.

Bogosian plays fairly well w/ McCabe. Getting that pairing back w/ a reasonable 2nd pairing workload & likely non-idiotic ciaching/usage & he's my guess at bounce back player.

Guess Kulikov is officially gone now. Not a big surprise. Wonder if there is 1 more FA move &/or trade in the works?

And on a slightly tangential note: welcome back GCoP. Glad for you thst you & Ollie can wear your 29's again.

Kane has plenty of speed and can score

And Kane's transition game, where his speed plays heavily, seems to be his best attribute. Rush with the puck on Jacks stick and Kane to finish, with Pommers as the trailer for the rebound.

#RedLightDistrict

I like this trade. Sure Pominville is old but for one $1 million more than Ennis in cap hit he was way more productive and it's the same term remaining. I'll miss Foligno but would rather have Scandella than him any day of the week. Swapping picks doesn't hurt at all. Looking at the rest of the deal I would have thought we'd owe them at least a 2nd without getting any pick back.

I tried to approach this trade from Minnesota's point of view.

While I suspect Minnesota hates Pominville as much as Buffalo hates Ennis, they save 1m in cap, but 2m in actual dollars. So I think, in the end, it's a fracking deal (front loading contracts so you can rid yourself of bad contracts to teams trying to make money).

Scandella has become their 5th best defenseman, and at 4m cap, and escalating dollar amounts, he needed to go.

I don't think it's a good trade for Minnesota on the ice, but it will save them some dollars the next couple years.

I think it's a good trade for Botterill, I think Scandella's a legitimate second pair

I'm most interested in who gets PK ice time if Georges is in the press box. Risto/Georges were OK, Risto/McCabe together last year were terrible.

I kinda don't care until they actually do something on the ice. Right now it is just swapping names for me.

Damn it! Get excited! You used to be full of zeal and overreactions. I'm supposed to be the jaded douche! :p (not calling you a douche BTW)

So... McCabe gives up his number for Pominville?

Trading Foligno is one of those necessity things.  He's going to be the right kind of player but he was just going to that at the wrong time for the Sabres.  I really liked him as a player and I think this move will be a bit rough on him.

Lesson to other Sabres.. create your own sauce.. get traded.

Damn it! Get excited! You used to be full of zeal and overreactions. I'm supposed to be the jaded douche! :P (not calling you a douche BTW)

lol you're good

It just appears to be a wash unless I believe Pommers is really better. 

So... McCabe gives up his number for Pominville?

Trading Foligno is one of those necessity things.  He's going to be the right kind of player but he was just going to that at the wrong time for the Sabres.  I really liked him as a player and I think this move will be a bit rough on him.

Lesson to other Sabres.. create your own sauce.. get traded.

What? no. If McCabe does that it is BS. Pommers is coming to the team and can get his own damn number. 

lol you're good

It just appears to be a wash unless I believe Pommers is really better.

What? ###### no. If McCabe does that it is BS. Pommers is coming to the team and can get his own damn number.

See my comment in the Vanek thread re: Vanek/Moulson and the number 26.

safe to say that adding Pommer and Vanek as a UFA frees up trading Kane and they should replace his lost offense. I love a line of Jack with both Pommer and Vanek...and trading Kane should bring either young prospects or draft picks (or both)...and yeah obviously no Shattenkirk

Edited by Sabre fan

safe to say that adding Pommer and Vanek as a UFA frees up trading Kane and they should replace his lost offense. I love a line of Jack with both Pommer and Vanek...and trading Kane should bring either young prospects or draft picks (or both)...and yeah obviously no Shattenkirk

We have not added Vanek right?  :unsure:

I'm gonna miss the sliding, one knee, goal scoring celebrations of Ennis...... (not that we've been seeing many lately) and here's to hoping that the concussions are a non-issue in his future. I'm also gonna miss the milk commercial.

As for Foligno, I've enjoyed watching the physicality of his game, when it showed........ but that's about all.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.