Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

"Nasrudin was caught in the act and sentenced to die. Hauled up before the king, he was asked by the Royal Presence: "Is there any reason at all why I shouldn't have your head off right now?" To which he replied: "Oh, King, live forever! Know that I, the mullah Nasrudin, am the greatest teacher in your kingdom, and it would surely be a waste to kill such a great teacher. So skilled am I that I could even teach your favorite horse to sing, given a year to work on it." The king was amused, and said: "Very well then, you move into the stable immediately, and if the horse isn't singing a year from now, we'll think of something interesting to do with you."

As he was returning to his cell to pick up his spare rags, his cellmate remonstrated with him: "Now that was really stupid. You know you can't teach that horse to sing, no matter how long you try." Nasrudin's response: "Not at all. I have a year now that I didn't have before. And a lot of things can happen in a year. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die.

"And, who knows? Maybe the horse will sing.""

The horse singing = Eichel saying "gee, gosh-golly, I just want to be a Sabre and will do it for 8x8"

A year going by, the status quo holding up, the horse not singing = offer sheet

:P

I always like a good parable, but in the story above, I'm left feeling like Eichel signing an 8-year deal is analogous to the horse singing.

you beat me to it

I too am concerned.

As I and others have mentioned, the biggest risk IMHO is that someone signs him to a 4-year offer sheet.  That would mean he becomes a UFA at the earliest possible time -- so even if the Sabres matched, the operating assumption would have to be that he would leave in 4 years.

Any good team with $5MM-$6MM of cap space could presumably sign him to a $12MM deal, dump the other $6MM or so in salary, and then be sitting pretty with an already-good roster plus Eichel.

Eichel leaves a lot of money on the table if he only signs for 4 years, even if it's at that rate.  I'm not so sure there's any player/agent combo out there that would take that risk today.  Sure, one might say that he's doing it right now, but there a huge difference between 1 year gamble and a 4 year gamble.

"JBOT was hired as GM and constrained to extend Eichel. Hauled up before Pegula, he was asked by Russ Brandon: "Is there any reason at all why we shouldn't fire your ass right now?" To which JBOT replied: "Oh, Terry, live forever! Know that I, the savvy Jason, am the greatest salary cap tactician in the league, and it would surely be a waste to fire such a great manager. So skilled am I that I could even sign your favorite player for less than ten million AAV, given a year to work on it." Pegula was amused, and said: "Very well then, you move into Scott Street immediately, and if Eichel isn't signing a year from now, we'll think of something interesting to do with you."

As he was returning to his office to pick up dry cleaning, Randy Sexton remonstrated with him: "Now that was really stupid. You know you can't get Eichel to sign for that amount, no matter how long you try." JBOT's response: "Not at all. I have a year now that I didn't have before. And a lot of things can happen in a year. Pegula might die. I might die.

"And, who knows? Maybe Eichel will sign.""

Eichel leaves a lot of money on the table if he only signs for 4 years, even if it's at that rate.  I'm not so sure there's any player/agent combo out there that would take that risk today.  Sure, one might say that he's doing it right now, but there a huge difference between 1 year gamble and a 4 year gamble.

Good point, didn't even think of that

"JBOT was hired as GM and constrained to extend Eichel. Hauled up before Pegula, he was asked by Russ Brandon: "Is there any reason at all why we shouldn't fire your ass right now?" To which JBOT replied: "Oh, Terry, live forever! Know that I, the savvy Jason, am the greatest salary cap tactician in the league, and it would surely be a waste to fire such a great manager. So skilled am I that I could even sign your favorite player for less than ten million AAV, given a year to work on it." Pegula was amused, and said: "Very well then, you move into Scott Street immediately, and if Eichel isn't signing a year from now, we'll think of something interesting to do with you."

As he was returning to his office to pick up dry cleaning, Randy Sexton remonstrated with him: "Now that was really stupid. You know you can't get Eichel to sign for that amount, no matter how long you try." JBOT's response: "Not at all. I have a year now that I didn't have before. And a lot of things can happen in a year. Pegula might die. I might die.

"And, who knows? Maybe Eichel will sign.""

Well now we're just beating a dead Eiche... I mean horse.

There's a mere possibility another ice age happens via asteroid too. Point is there's no point freaking out about something that's never going to happen and historically has shown to barely ever happen

You think a good team would lose 4 firsts for 4 years of Jack Eichel?

Definitely, because they also get 4 years to teach the horse to sing.

This is a very good point though.

Would anyone here pay 4 1st rounders for 4 years of Auston Matthews?

Pretend you don't have Jack Eichel

So easily yes. Though my offer sheet contract would certainly go longer than 4 years? 

I mean if we made Edmonton's exact picks, those were high, and we'd have what, Nuge, Hall, Nurse, Yakupov? And with Matthews the picks are likely in the teens and twenties. I'd trade that batch of players for Matthews in a second. 

So easily yes. Though my offer sheet contract would certainly go longer than 4 years? 

I mean if we made Edmonton's exact picks, those were high, and we'd have what, Nuge, Hall, Nurse, Yakupov? And with Matthews the picks are likely in the teens and twenties. I'd trade that batch of players for Matthews in a second. 

Moreover, only 1 team in the league needs to decide it's worth it.

And it doesn't even need to be a decision made from a hockey perspective. From a business perspective, a team that wants to reinvigorate the fan base could do it as a publicity stunt. People would pay to come see Eichel play. He's that kind of player.

Edited by ericcomposer72

Then if that's the case why don't teams offer sheet players?

Ultimately there are just too many barriers to doing it. And I love that the NHL makes it so difficult / prohibitive to do so

Then if that's the case why don't teams offer sheet players?

Because there are very few Jack Eichel's

To clarify, all of my statements are predicated on the opinion that Jack Eichel will be among the top 2 players in the league in 2-4 years

Edited by ericcomposer72

Because there are very few Jack Eichel's

To clarify, all of my statements are predicated on the opinion that Jack Eichel will be among the top 2 players in the league in 2-4 years

Nobody gave one to Stamkos, Tavares, Kane, Malkin, Crosby, McDavid...

There's a mere possibility another ice age happens via asteroid too. Point is there's no point freaking out about something that's never going to happen and historically has shown to barely ever happen

You think a good team would lose 4 firsts for 4 years of Jack Eichel?

Would that be Buffalo's compensation?  Go for it!

Since the Sabres are likely to match anyway the best way to screw Buffalo over would be to make a 4 year offer sheet. That puts Eichel into UFA status at 25 even if the Sabres match.

all were resigned before being eligible to be offer sheeted.

Right.

Would that be Buffalo's compensation?  Go for it!

Then we become the pre-McJesus Oilers

Since the Sabres are likely to match anyway the best way to screw Buffalo over would be to make a 4 year offer sheet. That puts Eichel into UFA status at 25 even if the Sabres match.

Would the Sabres be able to match the $ amount and make it an 8 year deal?

Edited by ericcomposer72

Right. Wildcard, do you understand the preconditions of an offer sheet?

Would the Sabres be able to match the $ amount and make it an 8 year deal?

no a match is for the exact terms of the offer sheet.  Term is one of the conditions.  You can't add.

You know what?  If Eichel doesn't want to be here, it's only a matter of time before he leaves of his own accord.  If he doesn't want to be here, he'll show what he's capable of to other teams, but slump when he feels like it.  Seriously, if the guy doesn't want to be here, bring in people who do.

I hope he works out.  I hope he signs.  But if there's any sense he doesn't want to be a Sabre, the Sabres need to cash him in.

Lindros didn't want to play for Quebec.  He held out.  He got traded to Philly for Philly's future.  Philly's future became Quebec's (now Colorado's) future.  It brought a couple of Cup Championships to Denver.  It got Philly.... swept in the '97 finals. 

Get Eich signed.  Or cash him in.  Either way, I'm good.