Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

Other GM's know we need Eichel, so JMBot best get this done before he gets a "predatory" offer sheet for 14mil

What do you want to bet this won't happen? I'll put up anything against you ever saying this again.

Exactly, it's just never going to happen.

An offer sheet -- specifically, a 4-year offer sheet, which would result in Jack becoming a UFA upon expiration -- is my concern. 

Even if they did, I think Eichel's smart enough to realize he'd piss off the entire fan base by accepting an offer sheet

Anyone a bit nervous that Eichel hasn't signed yet?

I felt all along he wants McDavid money and really isn't that crazy about playing in Buffalo based on his experience till now. Maybe a GMJBot and Coach Wowie will change his mind, make him feel like the team is finally doing something other than spinning its wheels. He knows a bad Buffalo franchise has a tougher road to redemption because Buffalo. But for now Eichel is willing to let the process move along.

Exactly, it's just never going to happen.

Even if they did, I think Eichel's smart enough to realize he'd piss off the entire fan base by accepting an offer sheet

LOLZ. Like that matters. I'm sure he dreads making Sabres fans unhappy. What are they going to do? Boo him when he comes back to play here with his new team?

I felt all along he wants McDavid money and really isn't that crazy about playing in Buffalo based on his experience till now. Maybe a GMJBot and Coach Wowie will change his mind, make him feel like the team is finally doing something other than spinning its wheels. He knows a bad Buffalo franchise has a tougher road to redemption because Buffalo. But for now Eichel is willing to let the process move along.

LOLZ. Like that matters. I'm sure he dreads making Sabres fans unhappy. What are they going to do? Boo him when he comes back to play here with his new team?

Name an RFA like Eichel that has accepted an opposing team's offer sheet. Hell, show me the RFA's that have ever accepted one.

While you're at it, show me any evidence to the bold 

Well, I don't think Eichel gives a crap about ticking off the fan base. 

I also think signing an offer sheet does not in fact alienate more than a small portion of the fan base.  Vanek was pretty popular here despite signing an offer sheet -- we had a pretty active thread just recently with many posters agitating to bring him back.

Name an RFA like Eichel that has accepted an opposing team's offer sheet. Hell, show me the RFA's that have ever accepted one.

Vanek and Shea Weber. 

Well, I don't think Eichel gives a crap about ticking off the fan base. 

I also think signing an offer sheet does not in fact alienate more than a small portion of the fan base.  Vanek was pretty popular here despite signing an offer sheet -- we had a pretty active thread just recently with many posters agitating to bring him back.

Vanek wasn't exactly the face of a franchise and a savior. Granted Kelly did the same ###### and was a hero here, but he actually wanted to go somewhere else, and Vanek would have too. For Eichel to accept an offer sheet out of pure leverage for an extra $1M seems like a moronic move

Vanek and Shea Weber. 

Never knew that about Weber. That might have been the dumbest signing ever if Philly did it. Then again, they screwed Nashville by making them match it

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/puck-daddy/shea-weber-inks-14-offer-sheet-philadelphia-flyers-052925384--nhl.html

http://sonsofpenn.com/revisiting-the-shea-weber-offer-sheet/

Edited by WildCard

Wawrow posted that after talking to Eichel this morning at Harborcenter.

'Water is wet'

Easy, you.

It's newsworthy because the source is pretty clearly Eichel himself and he otherwise expressed no concern over the contract and said he was looking forward to taking a larger leadership role and staying in Buffalo.

Wawrow posted that after talking to Eichel this morning at Harborcenter.

Easy, you.

It's newsworthy because the source is pretty clearly Eichel himself and he otherwise expressed no concern over the contract and said he was looking forward to taking a larger leadership role and staying in Buffalo.

How is it pretty clearly Eichel himself?

Vanek wasn't exactly the face of a franchise and a savior. Granted Kelly did the same ###### and was a hero here, but he actually wanted to go somewhere else, and Vanek would have too. For Eichel to accept an offer sheet out of pure leverage for an extra $1M seems like a moronic move

Never knew that about Weber. That might have been the dumbest signing ever if Philly did it

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/puck-daddy/shea-weber-inks-14-offer-sheet-philadelphia-flyers-052925384--nhl.html

http://sonsofpenn.com/revisiting-the-shea-weber-offer-sheet/

Unless, as PTR posits, Jack is lukewarm-to-negative about staying in Buffalo and is fully negative about signing for substantially less than McD got.

As for Weber -- I don't agree that it would've been a dumb move for Philly, which has been mired in mediocrity for years.  Weber is one of the best players of his generation and he was 26 when he signed it.  The fact that Nashville matched is also an indicator that it wasn't a dumb offer.

I don't want Eichel to sign an offer sheet either, but we shouldn't pretend that it's an impossibility.  The Sabres have been atrocious since he arrived, they don't have much of a winning tradition, they play in a small, cold-weather market, they have a history of losing their best players and they are stepping into the unknown with an untested coach and untested GM.

How is it pretty clearly Eichel himself?

An inference on my part, I will admit.

Wawrow posted 3 or 4 Tweets within a few minutes of each other. The first 2 or 3 were quotes attributed to or paraphrased from Eichel himself.

Then he posted the one upthread where he mentioned how he had a source with direct knowledge of negotiations. Seems like a fair inference to me. 

these convos are the opposite of what we see happening with pastrnak, that should enough.

word.

Why do we choose to ignore what Eichel himself is saying?

i'm not sure. good question.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Unless, as PTR posits, Jack is lukewarm-to-negative about staying in Buffalo and is fully negative about signing for substantially less than McD got.

As for Weber -- I don't agree that it would've been a dumb move for Philly, which has been mired in mediocrity for years.  Weber is one of the best players of his generation and he was 26 when he signed it.  The fact that Nashville matched is also an indicator that it wasn't a dumb offer.

I don't want Eichel to sign an offer sheet either, but we shouldn't pretend that it's an impossibility.  The Sabres have been atrocious since he arrived, they don't have much of a winning tradition, they play in a small, cold-weather market, they have a history of losing their best players and they are stepping into the unknown with an untested coach and untested GM.

They Flyers had made the playoffs 3 consecutive season prior to that offer sheet, and the Stanley Cup two years before

Nashville also dumped that contract before it became terrible. It's a miracle they not only found a suitor for it, but got PK back.

Think about this if you're Jack. You go and sign an offer sheet for another team for leverage, costing them 4 1sts. Let's just say you get called out on it and Buffalo doesn't match. Guess what? Your prime years are now spent with a team that will be virtually crippled in the draft. So, no cheap and high end talent that will be coming in unless you hit the lottery. Also, because of your enormous salary, they will be crippled in free agency and in retaining their own talent, which likely isn't high as it is considering they offer sheeted him. So sure, you get $2-3m extra per year, but you have absolutely nobody to play with for the majority, if not all, of that time. That seems like the dumbest move ever

Edited by WildCard

Why do we choose to ignore what Eichel himself is saying?

What part do you think is being ignored? Some people just hear what they want to hear with these things. Quite frankly, I think he said everything he was supposed to say and was professional.

One little thing that stuck out: he said he obviously wants to stay in Buffalo and bring the team to the next level. He then said that ultimately, it's not his choice, something about his agent, etc etc. Actually, it IS his choice! He could take the offer that's on the table right now. Obviously, he won't.

------

I don't think Eichel will get to the offer sheet point. I was being a little dramatic by bringing that up. BUT, I think GMBot will wise up and give him whatever he's asking for. If I had to bet, I'd say it doesn't go longer than 20 games, after Jack is at PPG pace, that GMBot gives in to what he's asking for, to avoid the doomsday scenario I kept referencing.

OTOH, now seeing the Eichel quotes about how each side knows where the other stands and that he has no problem playing out the season without a new deal.

I'm not stoked about that.

Exactly. He's willing to wait him out.

Edited by ericcomposer72

While you're at it, show me any evidence to the bold 

Ryan O"Reilly

Davis Backes

Ryan Kesler

Niklas Hjalmarsson

Edited by 3putt

Fwiw, WIVB sports anchor just quoted his source as saying no ongoing talks, and inferred it's likely Eichel will play without an extension.

Per Matt Bove

Just spoke w/Eichel's agent. He says contract talks between the two sides have died down & that Eichel is planning on playing w/out new deal