Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

Not only that, but he will wait until he gets whatever he's asking for. He has 100% of the leverage

Not really. If the Sabres want to play hardball, they have four more years to do it.

That would be foolish, but until you hit UFA, the deck is stacked in favour of the team.

That said, it would,be foolish to, with the franchise.

And it would,be foolish for the franchise to hold the team for ransom unless he hates it here.

It will get done.

Edited by dudacek

Not really. If the Sabres want to play hardball, they have four more years to do it.

That would be foolish, but until you hit UFA, the deck is stacked in favour of the team.

That said, it would,be foolish to,###### with the franchise.

And it would,be foolish for the franchise to hold the team for ransom unless he hates it here.

It will get done.

It has been pointed out before: a bottom-feeder team would be happy to offer-sheet him. Consider him 1 year away from free agency, practically speaking.

It almost never happens, but so they offer sheet him.

At worst, we match. Done deal. He's here for the next seven years.

Seriously, who can afford to pay him more than the $10 million-plus, let alone be willing to?

Edited by dudacek

It almost never happens, but so they offer sheet him.

At worst, we match. Done deal. He's here for the next seven years.

Seriously, who can afford to pay him more than the $10 million-plus, let alone be willing to?

I would honestly put money on Vegas offer-sheeting Eichel at a crippling level for us if we let it get to that point. 

They have loads of assets and wouldn't sweat losing 4 firsts or whatever.

They made 3 first round selections last year and probably have more lined up, as well as many players to trade off. They won't have any other way of getting an Eichel level player outside of their 20% shot at a lottery. 

So they do it. We match, Done deal.

Or are you saying they offer him like $14 million?

Fine I'll take the lottery picks and the cap,space.

You're not really worried about Jack re-signing are you?

I think they would potentially do that if this scenario came up. I'm not worried about signing Jack yet though. I won't be worried until the end of the season. 

I would probably need to be hospitalized if we lost Jack though

I wouldn't take the picks & cap space. But no, I'm not really worried about him re-signing  ;)

Or, maybe just offer him as much or more than what he's theoretically asking for right now, and Botterill is holding out on.

Basically, I'm theorizing that whatever he's asking for now, another team would be willing to pay, plus the draft picks.

Edited by ericcomposer72

So they do it. We match, Done deal.

McDavid money. Same deal. VGK get their Perreault build a following and in 4 years compete for a cup. We match of course because you don't let an Eichel,walk and it renders all the he is worth x or not worth x mute. Or perish the thought, he comes out of the gates on fire and puts up ppg+ for 30 games and McJesus and Matthews fall off. We end up paying him Mc Jesus money. GM Bobblehead better believe in Middlestadt because that is a helluva gambit.

Yes. If you thought Darcy had a bad rap after letting Breier and Drury walk, would you wanna be the GM who let Eichel walk? How do you think Mr. and Mrs. Pegula would respond to that?

I guess I'm thinking, at this point, Botterill should just give him what he wants and get this over with. I think? But hey, I'm not a GM...

Yes. If you thought Darcy had a bad rap after letting Breier and Drury walk, would you wanna be the GM who let Eichel walk? How do you think Mr. and Mrs. Pegula would respond to that?

I guess I'm thinking, at this point, Botterill should just give him what he wants and get this over with. I think? But hey, I'm not a GM...

Briere and Drury were much different circumstances than Eichel. Not that I'm condoning letting them walk, but let's not pretend the situation is the same

Edited by WildCard

Compared to them, he has no leverage.

In general he really has no leverage at all. Look at what Pasternak is going through

You were critical me for bringing up Drury/Briere vis a vis a potential Eichel walk, and now you're comparing Eichel's contract situation to Pastrnak's?

I'm not sure your line of reasoning, but mine is pretty clear if you go through the previous posts. I'm curious of yours. Please elaborate.

You were critical me for bringing up Drury/Briere vis a vis a potential Eichel walk, and now you're comparing Eichel's contract situation to Pastrnak's?

I'm not sure your line of reasoning, but mine is pretty clear if you go through the previous posts. I'm curious of yours. Please elaborate.

Briere and Drury were UFAs, Eichel and Pasternak, well, aren't. It's nearly impossible for a player like Eichel, Pasternak, McDavid, etc. to ever leave the team that drafted them

Unless I am mistaken on Briere and Drury here

Briere and Drury were UFAs, Eichel and Pasternak, well, aren't. It's nearly impossible for a player like Eichel, Pasternak, McDavid, etc. to ever leave the team that drafted them

Unless I am mistaken on Briere and Drury here

Eichel, Pastrnak, and McDavid (before he extended) could receive offer sheets from any team in the NHL, and the team with their rights would have to match it. If not, the other team could sign them, but owe the team they are coming from a certain number of 1st round draft picks.

https://mynhltraderumors.com/2017-nhl-offer-sheet-draft-compensation-for-signing-restricted-free-agents-2008-2017/2017/06/02/

Jack would also have to sign the offer sheet. I don't think he wants to play for a Vegas.

Eichel, Pastrnak, and McDavid (before he extended) could receive offer sheets from any team in the NHL, and the team with their rights would have to match it. If not, the other team could sign them, but owe the team they are coming from a certain number of 1st round draft picks.

https://mynhltraderumors.com/2017-nhl-offer-sheet-draft-compensation-for-signing-restricted-free-agents-2008-2017/2017/06/02/

Yea if we didn't match we'd get that teams next 4 first round picks. But again Eichel would have to sign the offer sheet. And the Sabres will match anyways. Also also signing in Buffalo he can get an 8 year deal as opposed to 7. Also also also Eichel has said numerous times he wants to be in Buffalo. I don't see him holding out til next July and getting an offer sheet.

Maybe he doesn't trust the Sabres to do that.

Lol, then he would ask for a trade.

I know what an offer sheet is :lol: :beer:

Jack would also have to sign the offer sheet. I don't think he wants to play for a Vegas.

Yea if we didn't match we'd get that teams next 4 first round picks. But again Eichel would have to sign the offer sheet. And the Sabres will match anyways. Also also signing in Buffalo he can get an 8 year deal as opposed to 7. Also also also Eichel has said numerous times he wants to be in Buffalo. I don't see him holding out til next July and getting an offer sheet.

Lol, then he would ask for a trade.

Bingo. Can anyone name a big name player that has left the team that drafted them? In the NHL, if you're somebody like Eichel, you spend your entire career with the team that drafted you. 

Unless you were drafted by Boston

Leverage isn't defined by what someone wants. It's defined as what someone's last resort options are, and that's why Jack has all the leverage.

Doesn't necessarily mean he uses it, but he has it.

Exactly, and what Jack wants here doesn't matter. 

Exactly, and what Jack wants here doesn't matter. 

All of your responses make me feel like I'm either not being clear, or you're not getting what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is: Jack's last resort: wait for offer sheet. This gives him leverage. Whether he wants to play for Buffalo or not (which, the impression is, he does) is not relevant to his overall leverage.

All of your responses make me feel like I'm either not being clear, or you're not getting what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is: Jack's last resort: wait for offer sheet. This gives him leverage. Whether he wants to play for Buffalo or not (which, the impression is, he does) is not relevant to his overall leverage.

I understand what you're saying.

So, let's say he waits for an offer sheet. Then what?