Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

Buffalo matches. My theory is the offer sheet is the amount he's asking for right now, or more.

Ah I see what you're saying. Turns out I was misunderstanding your position. I thought you were referring to ways Eichel could leave Buffalo if he doesn't get the contract he wants 

Aha, sometimes I realize my overall points can be nebulous because of how I word my posts.

Yes, I'm just saying it might be in GMBot's best interest to hold his nose and just give the kid whatever he's asking for.

It might, but that relies on the actuality of a team offer sheeting Eichel, and the only case I can even recall of that recently is Vanek and Edmonton

We can still get Jack below 10 if he signs before the season or disappoints/gets hurt. definitely nonzero chance of one of those happening. 

(no, it's not a very good chance lol)

Zero chance he signs for less than 10 before the season. Zero.

I would honestly put money on Vegas offer-sheeting Eichel at a crippling level for us if we let it get to that point. 

They have loads of assets and wouldn't sweat losing 4 firsts or whatever.They made 3 first round selections last year and probably have more lined up, as well as many players to trade off. They won't have any other way of getting an Eichel level player outside of their 20% shot at a lottery.

Could see this happening too.

Buffalo matches. My theory is the offer sheet is the amount he's asking for right now, or more.

Why would Jack wait a year when he can sign now and be assured of his future? He should call Mark Savard about getting locked in now as opposed to waiting until July 1 next year for a possible offer sheet.

Why would Jack wait a year when he can sign now and be assured of his future? He should call Mark Savard about getting locked in now as opposed to waiting until July 1 next year for a possible offer sheet.

I wonder if they would continue negotiations into the season? If so, could be a distraction. If not, we're probably in for stressful times next offseason, when we're waiting to see what happens with the contract and if Jack gets offer-sheeted.

Ah I see what you're saying. Turns out I was misunderstanding your position. I thought you were referring to ways Eichel could leave Buffalo if he doesn't get the contract he wants

I don't think Jack wants out by any means, but realistically, if he wants out of Buffalo, he holds the cards. If he doesn't sign a deal, and then gets offer sheeted, even if we matched it, he could demand a trade. I know the team wouldn't have to trade him, but an exceptionally disgruntled player wouldn't be of use to his team and they almost always get dealt.

It's not gonna happen, but at the end of the day, Jack will only be playing here cause he wants to.

Edit - And if he thinks the offer sheet tender would make him untradeable, he wouldn't sign it.

Edited by Thorny

Zero chance he signs for less than 10 before the season. Zero.

It's semantics because I don't think it'll happen so I shouldn't even push the point, but it's literally nonzero. It can't be zero. The only thing you can say is truly zero chance is that he signs a contract that violates CBA rules, or that he agrees to be paid in Mighty Taco. I think we can both agree that $10 mil is a very likely number, and the chance that he signs for a single dollar per year less than that does not drop to null. It just doesn't. A guy who just wrecked the playoffs and scored 20 more points in the regular season than Jack ever has just took $1.5 mil below $10 mil. I understand all of the circumstances that differ between the two cases, believe me, I do, you don't need to rattle through them. I get it. 

It's not ZERO. It's low.

And when he signs for $10.5, that doesn't mean there was zero chance either, just to protect myself :P 

The deal will be announced just before the players report to camp, IMO.  Lets say September 10th just to put a date on it.

I think the deal is already hammered out and they are just putting the finishing touches and having the lawyers review it.

8 years at 10.5 million per.  Book it.

GMBot and Wowie need Eichel to have a break-out year this year (meaning, establishing himself as our generational talent). The team needs it, and ownership expects it, if we're to believe we'll be a contender. Ironically, Eichel not establishing himself as such would be the only chance at them signing him for less than he wants.

Anyone a bit nervous that Eichel hasn't signed yet?

For me, that will happen about a year from now.

I have no problem with him playing out his entry-level deal and proving he is actually worth that $10 million most of you think he willl get.

From Jack after a morning skate at HarborCenter

Jack Eichel on contract (1/2) "I have no problem playing the year out. ... I'm pretty adamant on staying a Sabre and staying in #Buffalo. ..

Jack Eichel (2/2): "I want to bring some excitement to this town and the contract thing will take care of itself." #Sabres

From Bill Hoppe

From Jack after a morning skate at HarborCenter

Jack Eichel on contract (1/2) "I have no problem playing the year out. ... I'm pretty adamant on staying a Sabre and staying in #Buffalo. ..

Jack Eichel (2/2): "I want to bring some excitement to this town and the contract thing will take care of itself." #Sabres

From Bill Hoppe

Jack soothes the nerves.