Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

Well that's just the other side of the risk coin. Do you take the gamble?

He'd be smart to take the gamble. Even if he did struggle or suffer an injury he'll still be able to command a high salary. If FXGMJB tries to low ball him he can always hold out for an offer sheet. Some team with no center depth will be more than happy to offer him a 4 year offer sheet for big money. Sure the Sabres can match it, but that would make him a UFA at 25.

I heard it discussed on the Instigators as I was driving. And again, I noted it was speculation but it did seem like a reasonable guess as to where both parties started the negotiation. I mean if Eichel wanted only Drai money you think the deal would have been done a  long time ago.

Makes sense.  Don't like it.  What's another $8 million bucks when you have $80?  Seems like ego.  He can make up the money by negotiating good endorsements and such if he really is better than McDavid. 

Makes sense.  Don't like it.  What's another $8 million bucks when you have $80?  Seems like ego.  He can make up the money by negotiating good endorsements and such if he really is better than McDavid. 

It's egotistical to want 8 million dollars?

If I had $88M, I wouldn't burn $8M just because I could.

He'd be smart to take the gamble. Even if he did struggle or suffer an injury he'll still be able to command a high salary. If FXGMJB tries to low ball him he can always hold out for an offer sheet. Some team with no center depth will be more than happy to offer him a 4 year offer sheet for big money. Sure the Sabres can match it, but that would make him a UFA at 25.

A team can do an instant rebuild with he offer sheet and probably be finishing high enough in the standings that the draft pick comp will seem paltry.  

the endorsements are irrelevant.  they will be there either way.  

If I had $88M, I wouldn't burn $8M just because I could.

Playing devil's advocate. The question becomes: how much more in endorsements &/or league-wide awards could he earn over those 8 years by having a perennially championship-caliber team by having another $1-2MM/yr in cap space spent on converting a solid support piece into a top end support piece?

If he &/or the agent don't see any added value there &/or place a lowish value on being a perennial championship contender, then grab as much of the cap as he can. If there's a value to foregoing $1-2MM, then consider foregoing it.

A team can do an instant rebuild with he offer sheet and probably be finishing high enough in the standings that the draft pick comp will seem paltry.  

the endorsements are irrelevant.  they will be there either way.  

The Sabres would most likely match so the compensatory picks are sort of irrelevant. That team would be screwing us over though because it would allow Eichel to become a UFA at 25 instead of 29 like he would if we were to lock him up to an 8 year extension.

Playing devil's advocate. The question becomes: how much more in endorsements &/or league-wide awards could he earn over those 8 years by having a perennially championship-caliber team by having another $1-2MM/yr in cap space spent on converting a solid support piece into a top end support piece?

If he &/or the agent don't see any added value there &/or place a lowish value on being a perennial championship contender, then grab as much of the cap as he can. If there's a value to foregoing $1-2MM, then consider foregoing it.

How often does taking one for the team really pay off though? Sure you can point to Crosby and their cups but I'd venture to say if he was signed to $10.7 instead of $8.7 the difference in whatever 4th tier player they would have had to give up in exchange for another young gun on an ELC would be immaterial.

Tavares signed a sweetheart deal to stay on the Island and where has that gotten him? They've wasted that savings overpaying for other players like Ladd and Clutterbuck. Do you really think Eichel wants to take less than he could reasonably negotiate just so we can continue to overpay for slugs like Moulson or Gorges? I think anyone expecting some sort of hometown discount will be disappointed.

Edited by Drunkard

Yes, but that's not the scenario I was responding to.

Ego vs McDavid.  Implication that he concedes he's not the best player from that draft. 

I don't think it's ego, and I also don't believe a single thing Peters and Rivet are saying. I imagine Eichel probably wants $11M, and the Sabres want to pay him $10M

I don't think it's ego, and I also don't believe a single thing Peters and Rivet are saying. I imagine Eichel probably wants $11M, and the Sabres want to pay him $10M

And I'm finding that I'd be happy if it's $10.5/yr or less, so it likely will end up $11/yr.

11 would be a mistake and set this team back IMO. 9.5 is fair. He has to understand the less he makes the more they can spend on other guys to build a contender.

I think $10M is the perfect number for him. It's the same 13% Crosby and Malkin got IIRC. $11M is too high for me

11 would be a mistake and set this team back IMO. 9.5 is fair. He has to understand the less he makes the more they can spend on other guys to build a contender.

Absolutely to the bolded. But, I'd have to believe the Sabres would've gone to $9.5/yr a month agoif Eichel were willing to take that. That the deal still isn't done makes me expect the deal to be quite a bit more than I'd like to see when it is finalized. My original hope was for $9.5/yr tops. I'll now consider $10.5/yr a good thing.

Do you care what your employer can spend on other employees? Or do you say I am worth x and if you don't pay me I will find someone who will? You may. But I think you would be part of a very small majority.

Do you care what your employer can spend on other employees? Or do you say I am worth x and if you don't pay me I will find someone who will? You may. But I think you would be part of a very small majority.

My employer doesn't have a salary cap.

And I negotiate with vacation days.:p

So everyone is happy now with Jack being the second-highes paid player in he NHL three years into his NHL career?

I don't buy it.

In my view, the initial target was somewhere around what Draisaitl got, but his contract has upset the apple cart: Jack says "I'm better than he is" the Sabres say "he was overpaid"

Jack will win tha argument.