Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

Right. And I've admitted that in multiple posts prior to this

In the situation of elite talents hitting the RFA market, he is the only one of those I named. And in that case, he was not extended an offer sheet

But his situation is illuminating in light of Jack's. Holmgren and the Flyers were on the verge of offering him a sheet. Yzerman told the league it doesn't matter we will match any offer. Stamkos agent used that to leverage his deal. The idea being discussed up thread that Jack has no leverage would seem not to be accurate.

No. He already thinks he's McDavid's peer. He has said things in the past that indicated that his belief in himself, and his goal, was to match and exceed McDavid. And I'm not against that. A healthy ego is necessary to be a top performer. But I never got the sense that he's happy here. Why should he be? The team has been stepping on its own schlong since he's been here.

He also said he hasn't done anything yet, so he has a lot to prove. He certainly has a healthy belief in his abilities, but he also recognizes he hasn't accomplished anything yet.

That said, if we're one year from today and he's still not signed, then I'll worry.

It's amazing how much changed with 8 minutes remaining in that final practice before last season. Not only did that ankle injury completely change the complexion of the season, it's very likely Eichel is signed today after a second full season under his belt, like almost all players of his quality are, without it happening.

I wonder how much more fallout there is still to come.

---

Eichel #5 on NHL.com's Fantasy Center list for this coming season:

https://twitter.com/nhl/status/905250458251386880

But his situation is illuminating in light of Jack's. Holmgren and the Flyers were on the verge of offering him a sheet. Yzerman told the league it doesn't matter we will match any offer. Stamkos agent used that to leverage his deal. The idea being discussed up thread that Jack has no leverage would seem not to be accurate.

Holmgren and the Flyers were on the verge of offering Stamkos a sheet?

I've already conceded Jack has leverage in that scenario. I just believe that scenario to be very, very remote. 

Edit: Worst case scenario is what? A team offers Jack a 4 year deal, we match it, and he comes back just like Stamkos did

Edited by WildCard

Wildcard- you've gone back and forth with me quite a bit, yet I'm not sure if you realize I never thought Jack would get an offer sheet. I was just explaining why Jack had leverage- because the possibility of an offer sheet exists.

Now you admit Jack has leverage, but let's not forget, this happened:

In general he really has no leverage at all. 

Edited by ericcomposer72

Wildcard- you've gone back and forth with me quite a bit, yet I'm not sure if you realize I never thought Jack would get an offer sheet. I was just explaining why Jack had leverage, because the possibility of an offer sheet exists.

Now you admit Jack has leverage, but let's not forget, this happened:

I'm not forgetting that at all. I said after that post that I misinterpreted your reasoning for leverage.

I've maintained he has no leverage to leave teams, but he does have leverage to gain a better contract.

I'm getting the feeling you think I don't know what I'm talking about

Okay, where did you get the "sense" that he doesn't want to be here? Man this is typical idiotic sports fan talk.

It could be just inexperience with giving interviews, or it could be that he just doesn't want to talk to (Buffalo) media, but it seems like he never makes eye contact in interviews.  The body language is that he really doesn't want to be here.  Whether "here" means just the interview, or the city, it's hard to say.  But aside from the usual platitudes he doesn't seem very enthusiastic.

Of course it could be simply ego and ambition combined with frustration over his first couple seasons, but he doesn't strike me as a happy camper.  But if the Sabres continue to stumble as a team, he's gonna want out I think.

Since 2007, there have been 7 offer sheets, and only Dustin Penner from Anaheim to Edmonton was accepted (2007) for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks in 2008.

Quick, let's play a game and name them all off the top of my head:

Penner

Vanek

Bernier

Backes

Weber

Hjalmarson

O'Reilly (I love the story behind this screwup)

Kessler

Why am I getting 8? 

What if, and just follow me here, Jack Eichel loves playing in Buffalo. He loves the city and the fans. He thinks his team is going in the right direction now. He thinks he is worth 11million. He tells his agent that who tell Botterill. Botterill says he isn't yet sure of that. Jack understands due to his injury shortened season and says, no worries I will prove that I am worth that. Botterill says sounds great we can always talk. Agent obviously helps relay all this to Jack. Everyone is understanding and is fine waiting for things to play out. 

What if, and just follow me here, Jack Eichel loves playing in Buffalo. He loves the city and the fans. He thinks his team is going in the right direction now. He thinks he is worth 11million. He tells his agent that who tell Botterill. Botterill says he isn't yet sure of that. Jack understands due to his injury shortened season and says, no worries I will prove that I am worth that. Botterill says sounds great we can always talk. Agent obviously helps relay all this to Jack. Everyone is understanding and is fine waiting for things to play out. 

Thanks Liger. This is the take I'm following. Positive thoughts , positive outcomes. 

Thanks Liger. This is the take I'm following. Positive thoughts , positive outcomes. 

I just figure everyone involved is a mature adult and if Botterill and Jack/Agent have communicated properly this is a very logical outcome where everyone is on the same page. 

This is basically what I'm envisioning as well. I think the situation is a lot more relaxed than people are making it out to be. 

Why would you start with the year after the lockout?  Your arbitrary cutoffs are going to destroy the world.

:lol:

tenor.gif

I am concerned Jack will not extend his contract. I am friends with guys that play/practice with Jack here in the Boston area and more than one have shared that he is not interested in extending his contract with the Sabres. Thoughts?

I think Jack is a liar and only the friends of your friends know the real truth.

Jack hates Buffalo, the Sabres and everything ever associated with the city and writes about it extensively in his diary. Look at the way he rolls his eyes at a leading Paul Hamilton question or seems grumpy after a loss. It's all the proof you need.

The talk of an extension is a charade being played out by Russ Brandon for the benefit of the bottom line.

Because Buffalo.

Edited by dudacek

I am concerned Jack will not extend his contract. I am friends with guys that play/practice with Jack here in the Boston area and more than one have shared that he is not interested in extending his contract with the Sabres. Thoughts?

In general or...?