Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

I honestly wonder if Marner and Nylander are going to ask for somewhere between Draisaitl and Eichel money. I'd think yes?

If they put up Draisaitl and Eichel numbers, that will be a reasonable assumption.

You've also got Wennberg and Ehlers contracts to consider too.

But we need to keep fighting in the game so guys don't get hurt.

I don't know why it never occurred to me before how much the fighting lobby sounds like the gun control lobby.

Yes, it's part of the race to the bottom between the NHL and the NFL - who can care about head injuries the least, both in the short term and the long term?

But we need to keep fighting in the game so guys don't get hurt.

I don't know why it never occurred to me before how much the fighting lobby sounds like the gun control lobby.

It does seem like it's time to make fighting a ten or twenty minute penalty.  Like most of us, I enjoyed a lot of good fights.  Still do, I'll admit.  But we know things now that we didn't know before. 

The league can only do that (extend the penalties) if it starts taking other stuff seriously, though.  Like Lucic should have been thrown out of the game for his hit on Miller.  Until that happens, the fights will remain.

Edited by Eleven

I don't need fighting in the game because most fights these days are staged or occur from a clean play.

If fights were much more organic and just occurred because two guys are going at it and finally say.. enough.. let's throw down, then I am still good with it.  But fighting just to fight is dumb and even more ignorant is the fight in response to a clean, hard check.

That said... the NHL players can choose not to fight.  Foligno did not have to fight.  I know there's some belief of a "code" but if they don't care about their own well being who am I to get in the way?  

I don't need fighting in the game because most fights these days are staged or occur from a clean play.

If fights were much more organic and just occurred because two guys are going at it and finally say.. enough.. let's throw down, then I am still good with it.  But fighting just to fight is dumb and even more ignorant is the fight in response to a clean, hard check.

That said... the NHL players can choose not to fight.  Foligno did not have to fight.  I know there's some belief of a "code" but if they don't care about their own well being who am I to get in the way?  

Hey even Ross Rhea skated away the first time, right?

This is essentially my feeling on the matter, and mostly why I think the league would be better off just getting rid of it all together.

Oh, and your new avatar is delightfully appropriate right now :lol:

That worked out well for Steve Moore. :unsure:

That worked out well for Steve Moore. :unsure:

Not really the same thing and even if it were associated it is certainly NOT a common occurrence.  You can call a guy chicken, scared, gutless... but if it's a clean hit, it's a clean hit.  You shouldn't have to defend yourself from someone who wants to fight you.  Now, if they target you and take some clean shots at you then so be it.

Hey even Ross Rhea skated away the first time, right?

No idea who or what you are referring to... 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.