Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

here's the thing, WC, you're too young to remember the 30 years of Yankee terribleness that preceded the mid 90's revival. (As a mets fan, it was glorious, topped by the time Al Leiter threw a no hitter and lost 4-0). There's more to it than money, as we Sabres fans experienced by early Pegula. It helps, certainly, but there are many variables.

Salary caps are not altruistic bones tossed to small markets. They're shoes placed on the throats of labor. Salaries can not be said to be out of control of ownership if ownership is willing to sign the checks. Any argument from ownership that players are making to much is, logically, a lie and stupid.

The Yankees weren't rich back then. Steinbrener bought them for cheap

There's definitely more to it than just buying players; buying players doesn't win you championships, but it will damn sure get you into the postseason every single year. 

This is the food chain in the NHL

1) Owners

2) Players

3) Us

And we get screwed the most if there is no salary cap. What the hell do I care what happens to the balance between 1 and 2? 

Second in thirty, but okay.

Wow, that's a lot. 

Being rich also speeds up your rebuild (i.e. buying great players, and trading them to poor teams with great prospects). In that sense, you can just buy an entire farm system, which is exactly what the Yankees have done. 

Edited by WildCard

Wow, that's a lot.

I'm not even addressing your first point. Enjoy the reaming enthusiastically, I gues.

2 World Series in 30 years, considering the number of teams in the league and handicapping it for your Ayn Randian understanding of sports is, indeed, a lot.

I don't ever recall the Yankees being terrible for 30 year in a row, ever.

MOST HATED TEAM!!

They had rough stretches. And by rough stretches, I mean the longest they've went without the playoffs is about 10 years. Meanwhile the Royals won the WS in 1985, and didn't even make the playoffs until the next time they made it to the WS (2014) 

I'm not even addressing your first point. Enjoy the reaming enthusiastically, I gues.

2 World Series in 30 years, considering the number of teams in the league and handicapping it for your Ayn Randian understanding of sports is, indeed, a lot.

What reaming?

Oh look, you've resorted to insults. Good for you

They had rough stretches. And by rough stretches, I mean the longest they've went without the playoffs is about 10 years. Meanwhile the Royals won the WS in 1985, and didn't even make the playoffs until the next time they made it to the WS (2014) 

What reaming?

Oh look, you've resorted to insults. Good for you

Not insulting you, it's irony, since you're arguing for the opposite. (Probably not the best joke, apologies)

I don't ever recall the Yankees being terrible for 30 year in a row, ever.

MOST HATED TEAM!!

It was less than twenty. They won back to back with Reggie Jackson in the late 70's and started winning again in the mid-90's. Seems like the only good player that had during that time (the bad years) was Don Mattingly, then they forced him to retire. As soon as that happened I became as Mets fan. I think the only reason they stunk is because I was a fan. I was born in 1981 and they won it all the year I stopped rooting for them. My fandom is the kiss of death for any sports team.

Bills

Sabres

Mets (after 1986)

Knicks (after Willis Reed and his titles)

Pretty much batting 0 for a lifetime. Which is a big part of why I've decided to quit giving them my money (no tickets, merchandise, or Sunday Ticket, Center Ice, etc).

Edited by Drunkard

It was less than twenty. They won back to back with Reggie Jackson in the late 70's and started winning again in the mid-90's. Seems like the only good player that had during that time (the bad years) was Don Mattingly, then they forced him to retire. As soon as that happened I became as Mets fan. I think the only reason they stunk is because I was a fan. I was born in 1981 and they won it all the year I stopped rooting for them. My fandom is the kiss of death for any sports team.

Righetti? Guidry? (Spelling on both, dunno.)

I became a Yankees fan in the early 80s, when Cablevision brought me WPIX, with the play called by Bill White and Phil Rizzuto (another sp?). The Yanks pretty much stunk. But I watched a LOT of their games. Those are fond memories of idle summer days, evenings.

For how long? Even so, good luck outbidding Toronto, Montreal, and NY. Look at baseball, it's the same teams that win it every year and it sucks. When teams like the Rays, Astros, or Twins eventually tank long enough (5-10 years) to finally be good, they have about a 3 year window of being real good before all of their talent leaves them. I'm a Yankees fan, and I even want a cap, it sucks so much

You realize that 11 different franchises have won the Workd a Series over the last 16 years? It is the one sport without a cap and it has the most different champions over that time.

I had no idea this person existed until your post. Quiet career or am I just out of the loop?

I know Klein, mostly from Nashville days but it is amazing how detached one can sometimes become. I consider myself pretty informed and a huge hockey fan but I still have zero recollection of Davis Payne coaching the Blues. Had none when Housley hired him, still have no memory despite combing the internet.

CBC Sports is reporting that the Flames have re-signed Curtis Lazar to a 2 year 1.9 million $ contract.

:huh:

What the heck kind of contract is that? Isn't he pretty good?

Seems pretty fair for a guy who scored exactly one NHL goal last year. Maybe a slight overpayment.

Reason number 4,587,943 why drafting outside of the top 10 shouldn't be weighted that much. Roll. Of. The dice.

Edited by inkman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.