Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Again, disregard the money. Business can not continue without labor. Business profits incredibly from the labor of employees. Business does not want to share in said profits either directly or in the form of increased compensation.

Why is anyone wrong for being hacked off at that?

Again, disregard the money. Business can not continue without labor. Business profits incredibly from the labor of employees. Business does not want to share in said profits either directly or in the form of increased compensation.

Why is anyone wrong for being hacked off at that?

What? Nobody is made at the players, I just don't care about their plight at all. If we're talking about being selfish, I'm 10000% on the owner's side 

What? Nobody is made at the players, I just don't care about their plight at all. If we're talking about being selfish, I'm 10000% on the owner's side

So if your employer let you know that you'll have a 10% pay cut because of costs you'd happily accept it?

Well the NBA has a salary cap. It's just useless because their revenue is absurd and you only really need to spread it out to 4-5 players. It'd be like using the NHL's cap for a 3v3 tournament 

If I am not mistaken the NBA has a 'soft cap', which basically means no cap.  If you are a big time spender you just pay the 'luxury tax', because you are a big time spender.

The cap only applies to small market teams.

So if your employer let you know that you'll have a 10% pay cut because of costs you'd happily accept it?

Yep. We should side with the group that's even richer than the players who also hold cities hostage for tax breaks and subsidies to fun their extravagant arena's by threatening to move to a new city that provides more freebies. Richer than rich but they always need a little more.

A cap is fine if it pools revenue equally and is skewed in favor of the players on the split.  The arenas that are publicly funded should remain publicly administered and the revenue from non hockey events should go to the debt service.  If you apportion the revenue for the various hard costs like coaching, training personnel, insurance, retirement etc., the contribution of the owners comes down to sales and marketing.  The marketing part is where they have been failing.

A cap is fine if it pools revenue equally and is skewed in favor of the players on the split.  The arenas that are publicly funded should remain publicly administered and the revenue from non hockey events should go to the debt service.  If you apportion the revenue for the various hard costs like coaching, training personnel, insurance, retirement etc., the contribution of the owners comes down to sales and marketing.  The marketing part is where they have been failing.

It's my understanding the players don't want a cap at all, not just a bigger slice of the pie

So you guys don't want a salary cap?

No.

In full: NHL ownership has cost us better than two seasons of hockey over the past 25 years, has engaged in an unconscionably incestious media deal, has raised prices on everything, and yet claims poverty despite ever increasing revenues. those bastards.

No.

In full: NHL ownership has cost us better than two seasons of hockey over the past 25 years, has engaged in an unconscionably incestious media deal, has raised prices on everything, and yet claims poverty despite ever increasing revenues. ###### those bastards.

You realize the Sabres will never win a Cup if we don't have a Cap, right?

Who is our owner again?

For how long? Even so, good luck outbidding Toronto, Montreal, and NY. Look at baseball, it's the same teams that win it every year and it sucks. When teams like the Rays, Astros, or Twins eventually tank long enough (5-10 years) to finally be good, they have about a 3 year window of being real good before all of their talent leaves them. I'm a Yankees fan, and I even want a cap, it sucks so much

For how long? Even so, good luck outbidding Toronto, Montreal, and NY. Look at baseball, it's the same teams that win it every year and it sucks. When teams like the Rays, Astros, or Twins eventually tank long enough (5-10 years) to finally be good, they have about a 3 year window of being real good before all of their talent leaves them. I'm a Yankees fan, and I even want a cap, it sucks so much

Kansas. City. Royals.

here's the thing, WC, you're too young to remember the 30 years of Yankee terribleness that preceded the mid 90's revival. (As a mets fan, it was glorious, topped by the time Al Leiter threw a no hitter and lost 4-0). There's more to it than money, as we Sabres fans experienced by early Pegula. It helps, certainly, but there are many variables.

Salary caps are not altruistic bones tossed to small markets. They're shoes placed on the throats of labor. Salaries can not be said to be out of control of ownership if ownership is willing to sign the checks. Any argument from ownership that players are making to much is, logically, a lie and stupid.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.